MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #571
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Published on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 by the Los Angeles Times

Scandal's Shame, Massachusetts' Pride
by Robert Scheer

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0518-10.htm

What a wonderful image of democracy and tolerance the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts has presented to the world by allowing same-sex marriages. At a time when elements of the U.S. military machine have perverted homosexual acts into a form of torture, the sight of responsible and joyful gay adults freely choosing the commitment of marriage could not be more timely.
In the end, the irony is grim: The U.S. military bans openly gay soldiers but apparently does not effectively screen out heterosexual sadists. Meanwhile, at home the president tries desperately to make an election-year issue out of preventing free adults from civilly consecrating same-sex partnerships.

Unfortunately, there are many in this country, at least in the political class, who claim to support the rights of the individual abroad while struggling to limit them at home. Yet, as with classic images from earlier civil rights movements, such as that of a poised black girl walking to school through a jeering crowd, the dramatic scenes of joy and love now unfolding in Massachusetts are likely to be looked back upon by future generations with a "what took us so long?" relief.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #572
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
In the end, the irony is grim: The U.S. military bans openly gay soldiers but apparently does not effectively screen out heterosexual sadists.
Quote:
Unfortunately, there are many in this country, at least in the political class, who claim to support the rights of the individual abroad while struggling to limit them at home.
Do you realize how depressing it is to know that both those statements are true?

Quote:
Yet, as with classic images from earlier civil rights movements, such as that of a poised black girl walking to school through a jeering crowd, the dramatic scenes of joy and love now unfolding in Massachusetts are likely to be looked back upon by future generations with a "what took us so long?" relief.
. Amen to that.

I was reading an article in the People magazine tonight talking about the end of segregation. And I just don't understand. People look back at segregation now with a kind of attitude. Why in the hell, then, is there even a debate over homosexual rights now? Why are some of the same people who would denounce racism willing to discriminate against homosexuals? I don't get it. I really, really don't.

Bah. Anyway, again, applause going to Massachusetts for being so bold to allow gay marriage to happen. It's about time.

Angela

Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #573
She's the One

Local Time: 11:57 AM
It's just us in here now, isn't it? The antis and the fence-sitters have gone away, haven't they?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #574
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Yes. But then I guessw they ran out of arguements against the basic civil rights of hte issue.

Joy for those in Mass.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #575
Blue Crack Addict

It will be interesting in 50 years, whether the children of those people so opposed to gay marriage and equality will look back and wonder who were the people who tried to suppress it, like people wonder today what sort of mentality wanted to preserve segregation.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:15 AM   #576
She's the One

I visited Little Rock and Memphis last summer, and I saw the pictures of those white parents and students with the hate and venom in their faces. I wanted to ask the park ranger in Little Rock if anybody knew where those people were now, if those people ever make themselves known. I didn't ask. I imagine that the same thing will indeed happen in fifty years. At the museum dedicated to this civil rights struggle there will be pictures of straight people filled with hate and venom, or worse with the Scripture quoted in posters, and my grand-nieces will want to know if those people ever make themselves known as the ones who hated in the name of God and what they thought was right.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:18 AM   #577
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
REMOVED

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:16 AM   #578
ONE
love, blood, life

Anti's and Fence sitters...LOL

The war is not over Martha. This is a battle that was won. The chaos will begin if the MA Constitution is ammended to ban it.

Dang so if we do not post in the thread we are an anti or a fence sitter.....Melon you better post soon.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #579
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Dang so if we do not post in the thread we are an anti or a fence sitter
Where do you get that from the observation that none of the "antis and fence-sitters" have posted here recently?
Old 05-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
REMOVED]

And I don't see how comments like who's not posting in here anymore, etc are productive. It's already starting problems I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to post, that's just my useless 02. I've mostly just read this thread and been afraid to post...

I have my opinion on this issue, but I respect and try to understand the opinions of others, as long as they're not stated in a malicious or hateful way toward gay people or coming from that viewpoint. Obviously I understand how, if you're homosexual, it is a far more important and personal issue.

This issue does divide some people, but bottom line it should be about love

*steps off pollyanna soapbox *
Old 05-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #581
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

And I don't see how comments like who's not posting in here anymore, etc are productive. It's already starting problems I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to post, that's just my useless 02. I've mostly just read this thread and been afraid to post...
You made my point better than I could.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #582
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:57 PM
I still think the way I used to except I no longer see any point in posting it. So, I don't see how ''the battle was won" (?)
Old 05-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #583
She's the One

And so we see why I avoid FYM at all costs now.

Buh-bye
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 PM   #584
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Um, hi.

I did not make that post.

MrsSpringsteen, I hope you were not offended.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #585
ONE
love, blood, life

What?