MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #541
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:57 AM
http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/oldnews/2004/04074.htm

The presbytery’s PJC had ruled in April that Van Kuiken was guilty of having “married” homosexual couples, in violation of the PC(USA) constitution. The ruling concluded, addressing Van Kuiken: “The Presbytery of Cincinnati, in the name and authority of the Presbyterian Church (USA), expresses its condemnation of this offense, and rebukes you.”

Of course it doesn't say discriminate.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #542
She's the One

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Isn't it getting so baroque?

Old 04-21-2004, 01:06 AM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting. I knew a girl in high school who went to a Presby church that welcomed homosexual couples. I'm not sure if they could be married there, but it sounded like the church wouldn't be against it. But unfortunately I've had no experience with the Presby church (unless you count that one incident at the PCUSA building in Louisville....um, nevermind.) even though I know a lot of Presbyterians. I'm going to ask my theology Prof what he thinks of this issue b/s I'm pretty sure he's Presby....
Old 04-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

I am unaware of a Presbyterian church that bars homosexuals from attending or becoming a member.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #545
She's the One

I think the key word in the post is "couples."
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 PM   #546
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I am unaware of a Presbyterian church that bars homosexuals from attending or becoming a member.
That wasn't what the article alleged though. It alleged that the Presbyterian church refused to allow gay people to marry. Is that incorrect?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:32 PM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Ministers ordained in the Presbyterian Church are not permitted to marry same-sex couples. The Constitution of the church does not extend beyond its doors.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #548
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ministers ordained in the Presbyterian Church are not permitted to marry same-sex couples. The Constitution of the church does not extend beyond its doors.
So the church's Constitution does say that it's ministers can't marry gay people? And it did charge this minister with violating that provision?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
So the church's Constitution does say that it's ministers can't marry gay people? And it did charge this minister with violating that provision?
Yes. That is what Van Kuiken agreed to when he was ordained in the Presbyterian Church.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #550
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Yes. That is what Van Kuiken agreed to when he was ordained in the Presbyterian Church.
Two questions then...

Firstly, what exactly were you objecting to about the article? I had thought you were saying it was inaccurate, but obviously I was wrong. So is it just the fact that the article describes the church's position as discrimination which you object to?

Secondly, do you think his actions were justifiable or not?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 PM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Firstly, what exactly were you objecting to about the article? I had thought you were saying it was inaccurate, but obviously I was wrong. So is it just the fact that the article describes the church's position as discrimination which you object to?
Correct. The article was more commentary than reporting. Slapping the word "discriminatory" on the story ignores the deeper issues of biblical interpretation and church polity.

Quote:
Secondly, do you think his actions were justifiable or not?
There is a clear difference in how Scripture is applied in this area. The Presbyterian Church has maintained a clear position that same-sex marriage should not be performed by the church. This point has been made many times before the General Assembly. Presbyterian ministers are given a large degree of freedom in the pulpit, but must follow the Constitution and laws of the church. Van Kuiken took an oath to follow these laws as part of his ordination. I would hope his word means a little more than it has. Matthew 5:37
Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #552
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Correct. The article was more commentary than reporting. Slapping the word "discriminatory" on the story ignores the deeper issues of biblical interpretation and church polity.
So you don't think that it's discriminatory to refuse to allow gay people to marry while allowing straight people to marry?

Quote:
There is a clear difference in how Scripture is applied in this area. The Presbyterian Church has maintained a clear position that same-sex marriage should not be performed by the church. This point has been made many times before the General Assembly. Presbyterian ministers are given a large degree of freedom in the pulpit, but must follow the Constitution and laws of the church. Van Kuiken took an oath to follow these laws as part of his ordination. I would hope his word means a little more than it has. Matthew 5:37
Do you personally think they're right?

I suppose this all raises the question of under what circumstances it's okay to disobey what you perceive as an unjust law.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #553
New Yorker

But as he's said the PC Constitution once banned race equality, upheld slavery ect. I'm sure someone within the clergy helped to change things, as well as society at large.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #554
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:

But what if part of that oath included the idealology that slavery was acceptable to Presbyterians? Many used scripture for years to justify slavery. At some point someone's interpretation had to conflict with that of those who justified slavery. I believe that's what Van Kuiken is doing here and he's putting his faith in front of some oath.

There are times when the Church has to be challenged, just take a look at history, take a look at Christ's life.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #555
Blue Crack Addict

I've heard it said that many used Scripture to justify slavery - it was Scripture that led to the abolishment of slavery. We should remember that slavery was a secular institution.

The Presbyterian Constitution was not changed after Van Kuiken was ordained. He made his representation regarding what he would follow. His actions show otherwise.

The Presbyterian Constitution and Book of Order has changed over the years. The change is done slowly and thoughtfully. To many, Van Kuiken is simply putting his beliefs/agenda ahead of Scripture.

We can reopen discussion on the Scriptural viewpoints, but I believe both sides have been fairly clearly stated in numerous threads.