MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2004, 05:49 PM   #166
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Repeal Of Anti-Gay Measure Heads Toward Vote

(Cincinnati, Ohio) Cincinnati LGBT community leaders said Monday that they have collected enough signatures to force a referendum to repeal a city charter amendment that made Cincinnati the only U.S. city to ban the enactment or enforcement of gay-rights laws.

However Ohio just signed a law banning gay marriage last week, So while Cinci ddoesn't beleive in discrimination, such as employment, housing, ect. Marriage is out.

I am sorry I live in such a restrictive state (OT one who also authorized concealed weapons carrying against every policing force in the state).

I agree with many of you, I haven't seen one argument other than religious based to ban same-sex marriage.

Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
One possible objection to my argument: under the definition of "sanctity," one might also add the intention (and indeed innate biological ability, which only a heterosexual couple would have) to begin and sustain a family. Indeed, in a Catholic wedding, this is a question the priest asks ("Will you accept children gratefully as a gift from God?" I believe is the correct wording). However, I left this condition out due to the fact that the marriages of infertile, childless couples are still recognized as legitimate even in the Catholic tradition (even if those of couples who are voluntarily childless might be questioned). Thus the condition of children cannot be applied.
Being a former heavy duty practicing Catholic.....I think you did an excellent job explaining yourself.

The condition of children should NOT be applied. And you also have done an excellent job here.

Pat Robertson on TV the other night said that marriage was for having children and when two homosexuals produced a child together than he would change his mind on this situation. I wanted to VOMIT.

Excellent post PAX.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:20 PM   #168
She's the One

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Pat Robertson on TV the other night said that marriage was for having children and when two homosexuals produced a child together than he would change his mind on this situation.
I wonder what his thoughts are on older couples who marry with no intention of having any more children? Say, those who enter into second marriages after their first spouse has dies.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Cool, paxetaurora. . It's a fine argument to me.

In regards to the Pat Robertson comment...we have tons of people roaming this world as it is, if a few couples out there don't bring children into the world, I think we'll all still be okay. Why do people care so much whether or not a couple continues on the human race? What business is it of theirs?

Besides, we have so many orphaned children in this world that we could allow homosexual couples to take in and love and care for-that's just as good a family as any other. I mean, not to turn this into a debate on another issue entirely, but pro-life people always talk about adoption being the best choice, and yet some of those same pro-lifers refuse to allow homosexuals to adopt children. .

Angela
Old 02-10-2004, 10:33 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

While you may find the religious aspects of this complete and utter bullshit.....others do not. If I happened to be someone of deep faith, with strong religious beliefs, I would pretty much not post in here based on your statements above.
Yeah, calling my beliefs bullshit does REALLY rub me the wrong way, but I'm going to let it go this time because no matter what I personally believe about homosexuality, I do NOT believe that there are any legal reasons why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. I'll admit, all of my arguements either way are directly or indirectly based on religion. For that reason, I've never came out and said what I believe about this issue, b/c it's obvious that the majority here will assume my religious beliefs are "bullshit"
Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Yeah, calling my beliefs bullshit does REALLY rub me the wrong way
Maybe now you can empathize with homosexuals in this nation who have to deal with this on a regular basis. You turn off your computer, and you can move on. But when you are constantly bombarded with religious organizations spreading lies about who you are--yes, that's right, LIES--then maybe you can see where the "angry minority" stereotype comes from.

Quote:
but I'm going to let it go this time because no matter what I personally believe about homosexuality, I do NOT believe that there are any legal reasons why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. I'll admit, all of my arguements either way are directly or indirectly based on religion.
I can admire your honesty, even if I disagree with your conclusion. At the very least, you're more honest than most. I'd rather people just say, "I disagree, due to my beliefs on the Bible," rather than make LIES about all homosexuals being pedophiles or whatever.

Quote:
For that reason, I've never came out and said what I believe about this issue, b/c it's obvious that the majority here will assume my religious beliefs are "bullshit"
Join the club. My religious beliefs are hardly conventional.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:11 PM
of course gays should be allowed to marry each other...if its real love and u wanna spend ur life together go for it.....

dont let the tyranny of tradition get in your way....and that bloody bible....

im not gay, i dont have any gay mates or anything like that, but if 2 gays wanna get married let them,

To be fair it's not any of the church or the governments business. Only the 2 people who wanna get married matter in this case.

These bloody moronic traditionalists trying to run everybody's lives....they should get over themselves and get in touch with modern times and reality.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Maybe now you can empathize with homosexuals in this nation who have to deal with this on a regular basis. You turn off your computer, and you can move on. But when you are constantly bombarded with religious organizations spreading lies about who you are--yes, that's right, LIES--then maybe you can see where the "angry minority" stereotype comes from.

I can admire your honesty, even if I disagree with your conclusion. At the very least, you're more honest than most. I'd rather people just say, "I disagree, due to my beliefs on the Bible," rather than make LIES about all homosexuals being pedophiles or whatever.

Melon
OK, this is really off topic but I found this post impossible to read b/c my name is Lies, lol! Now I'll go back and read it for serious....
Old 02-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
OK, this is really off topic but I found this post impossible to read b/c my name is Lies, lol! Now I'll go back and read it for serious....
I really didn't know that.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

What conclusion did you disagree with? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Anyway, I'd never spread lies about homosexuals (and I know you're not accusing me of that). I don't know and homosexuals and I've never met a gay person that gave me any reason to believe that a gay person is somehow less of a person than me just because I'm straight. My religious beliefs are what lead me to believe what I believe about homosexuality, it doesn't mean I think straight people are better people or people more fit for marriage.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I really didn't know that.

Melon

<~~ Lies ("lease", for the English speaking Interferencers)
Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
What conclusion did you disagree with? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.
Disagreeing with gay marriage.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 11:17 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Disagreeing with gay marriage.

Melon
Well, I won't say whether I agree with it or not b/c I don't think it matters to this arguement. I think the discussion works better without people trying to change each other's minds or judging people based on their beliefs and then calling those beliefs "bullshit".
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #179
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Melon
I can officially marry people in MA. I have only presided over a renewal of marriage vows. I think I may have broken a Catholic rule with my ordination. Not sure though, maybe I will confess it. I had someone request that I do their wedding, however, I was not certain that they were good for each other...LOL

anyways....I am thinking of advertising.....and for a donation to AIDS Charities or something of the sort, I would perform the marriage.

I am certainly....in trouble with the church if I did that.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:08 AM   #180
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:

I can officially marry people in MA. I have only presided over a renewal of marriage vows. I think I may have broken a Catholic rule with my ordination. Not sure though, maybe I will confess it. I had someone request that I do their wedding, however, I was not certain that they were good for each other...LOL

anyways....I am thinking of advertising.....and for a donation to AIDS Charities or something of the sort, I would perform the marriage.

I am certainly....in trouble with the church if I did that.
You're such a rebel.

No seriously that's cool. If I ever changed my view of marriage and got remarried, I'd ask you to do the ceremony...of course I'd have to move...so maybe not.