MERGED: Unconstitutional!!! and Potential "Patriot Act" Expansion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Normal Potential "Patriot Act" Expansion

Expansion of Patriot Act Criticized
Sat Feb 8, 6:33 AM ET

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Justice Department is preparing to expand the 2001 Patriot Act to increase surveillance within the United States while restricting access to information and limiting judicial review, a nonprofit government watchdog group asserted Friday.

The Center for Public Integrity said it obtained a copy of the draft legislation from a government source. The document, labeled "confidential," was posted Friday on the organization's Internet site along with an analysis.

Justice Department officials said no final decisions have made on any such legislation, and it could change substantially before it is completed. Spokeswoman Barbara Comstock acknowledged the department is "continually considering anti-terrorism measures and would be derelict if we were not doing so."

"The department's deliberations are always undertaken with the strongest commitment to our Constitution and civil liberties," she added.

The original Patriot Act, passed by Congress in the weeks following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, gave the government broad new anti-terrorism powers to use wiretaps, electronic and computer eavesdropping, searches and the authority to obtain a wide range of other information in it's investigations. It also broke down the traditional wall between FBI investigators and intelligence agents.

According to the Center for Public Integrity, the draft expansion of the Patriot Act would be called the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003.

Among other things, it would prohibit disclosure of information regarding people detained as terrorist suspects and prevent the Environmental Protection Agency from distributing "worst-case scenario" information to the public about a nearby private company's use of chemicals.

In addition, the measure would create a DNA database of "suspected terrorists;" force suspects to prove why they should be released on bail, rather than have the prosecution prove why they should be held; and allow the deportation of U.S. citizens who become members of or help terrorist groups.

"It really is a broadening and a deepening of the government's powers," said Charles Lewis, executive director of the Center for Public Integrity.

Congressional aides said they had not been consulted by the Justice Department on the development of such a bill and department officials say it has not been transmitted to Capitol Hill. However, several aids (news - web sites) have said they considered it likely that the Bush administration would propose some changes this year.

Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said the legislation "turns the Bill of Rights completely on its head."

"This draft bill constitutes yet another egregious blow to our citizens' civil liberties," Conyers said. "Among other things, the Bush administration now wants to imprison suspects before they are tried and create DNA databases of lawful residents who have committed no crime."

--------------------------------------------

Damn that terrorist EPA for humilitating our patriot corporations and their patriot chemical toxins.

Innocent until proven guilty? Unpatriotic!

Thank you, John Ashcroft, for showing us how unpatriotic our Bill of Rights really are.

Melon

Old 02-08-2003, 06:44 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 AM
What the Orange Alert is a cover for?

Old 02-09-2003, 07:29 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

lovely.

Old 02-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Oh goodie!

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
force suspects to prove why they should be released on bail, rather than have the prosecution prove why they should be held
What kind of crappy judicial practice is that?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I need more information than this article to understand this stuff. Presonally, it sound like a load of crap to me.......so far.

peace
Old 02-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #6
New Yorker

The Patriot Act is one of the most unpatriotic pieces of legislation ever passed by Congress.

I was in college in Missouri when Ashcroft was senator. He's a scary guy and that hasn't changed now that he's moved from the Heartland to the Capitol.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Re: Potential "Patriot Act" Expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
"Among other things, the Bush administration now wants to imprison suspects before they are tried and create DNA databases of lawful residents who have committed no crime."

this scares the hell out of me.
what's next?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:41 PM   #8
Bordering Purgatory

holy shit.

sounds like they theyre doing eveything they can to summon the new world order and the anti-christ.
i will make you hurt
Old 02-10-2003, 03:28 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:41 AM
i know.
its bad ..

so so bad.
i think we should have tantrums in the streets..

thats the ticket.

life in this country is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, so, baaaaaaadd.....
oh dear me.
me.
me.
meme.

me.
more
me.

ok a lil more me.

thank u-

DB9
Old 02-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #10
War Child

Faction 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Flag Pole Pear
holy shit.`

sounds like they theyre doing eveything they can to summon the new world order and the anti-christ.
Patriot Act I and II (aptly named, and classic Orwellian "doublespeak") is entirely unconstitutional; however, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise seeing as there is ample enough evidence to show that the organic Constitution Of the United States of America has long since been indefinitely suspended by the yearly "state of emergency" declaration. I wasn't before this January aware that Bush considers the Lockerbie Pan Am 103 incident of 1988 so much a threat as to declare an offical state of national emergency in 2003 because compensation hasn't been fully awarded to the victim's families.

We have long since lost common law. We are at best under maritime law; and soon to be martial law, once shit really starts to hit the fan.

For good measure, throw in a healthy dose of your "Executive Order" scam - a system originally and only intended as a sort of "internal memo" within the executive branch - a system currently being widely and abusively exploited outside its constitutional framework`.

Let us also not forget the Federal Reserve fraud.

I'm relieved to find that I, as an American citizen (and unfortunately legally contracted to the corporation of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA) am no longer sovereign, and have been declared a potential "enemy combatant" under this act; a catch-all term heineously nebulous.

Now comes recent news that I - being an anti-war activist - am, along with other New Yorkers, going to be denied my consitutional right for assembly and free speech, because `"terror threats won't allow it". I am also delighted that by so doing, I am committing TREASON. At least is the opinion of The Ministry of Truth - in other words our CFR-controlled current media establishment.

I can rest assured that since I make numberous references to the Consitution, am a true patriot, and a defender of common law and the Constitution, I can be classified by the FBI as a terrorist threat and lumped with other bottom-feeders such as neo-nazi's, the KKK, and Islamic extremists.

I guess I will also never be "elite" enough to partake of the wonderously occultic and satanic ceremonies performed at our fearless leaders' lush summer camp, Bohemian Grove. I never really liked the idea of worshiping a 50 foot owl (the god moloch), and sacraficing a human being in effigy to the great owl of bohemia.

But puppets are puppets, and though Faction 1 thinks, and does indeed have the current momentum, I am going to place my soon-to-be worthless fiat federal reserve notes on Faction 2.

They hold the ultimate trump card. The genius of Nikola Tesla can not, and will not be underestimated once scalar longitudinal electromagnetic technology becomes overt. We are beginning to see the dissent rising in europe, NATO forces preparing an unprecidented occupation of IRAQ, and the warning shot has already been fired over Faction 1's bow.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #11
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
i know.
its bad ..

so so bad.
i think we should have tantrums in the streets..

thats the ticket.

life in this country is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, so, baaaaaaadd.....
oh dear me.
me.
me.
meme.

me.
more
me.

ok a lil more me.

thank u-

DB9
Always good to see an intelligent, well-thought out response addressing the issue at hand.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Always good to see an intelligent, well-thought out response addressing the issue at hand.
As usual, Diamond hits it right on the head.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #13
New Yorker

diamond-- just because I think the U.S. is a great country to live in doesn't mean it can't be better. Americans are luckier than most in the world but our freedon -- one of the things that makes this country so great -- is being compromised by Ashcroft and his henchmen.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

The original Patriot Act, does not worry me so much. I have read enough and pretty much agree with the provisions. THis second thing, however, is another story. I am trying to find more information on it. Anyone have other links for the new changes that are proposed?

Peace
Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #15
Bordering Purgatory

ya, i would like to read more about it too.

i will make you hurt