MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
Ugh! Hurricanes!

Just reading about Hurricane Katrina's damage in Fla and the threat to New Orleans.

Here's a prayer for everyone down there who is enduring this nasty stuff, and esp to New Orleans, they're not used to these storms, apparently.

Any FYM ers in these two states, hope you are well...and if you're still online, tell us what you're doing to prepare for this!

I'm up north and never experienced a hurricane but was involved in an swimming accident when I was 14 and nearly drowned in a huge wave in the aftermath of a nasty Atlantic storm. Don't frig around with the ocean, I tell you! It's a humbling experience.

Isn't Katrina the biggest hurricane in years, the highest level they can get? All i have been hearing is that its powerful enough to basically rip New Orleans apart..apparently some chemical plants may be in the way of it and could pollute the area.

Good luck and my best wishes to those in its path.

I've never been around during an Atlantic hurriance either, but I spent a week in Gulf Shores, Alabama 8 months after hurricane Ivan came on shore there (it was predicted to destroy New Orleans, then stayed east). The destruction, even 8 months later, basically totalled their economy, which is based on tourism. I'd say 60% of all of the structures were destroyed beyond repair, and of those left standing, maybe 50% of them were fixed enough for renters during the tourist season. That makes a grand total of 20% of the buildings available, and not even that many were filled b/c everyone decided to go somewhere else instead. The beaches had always been covered in bodies, but in April, there was just nobody there, it was like a ghost town. Looks like they could have another dead-on hit of Katrina stays away from New Orleans like Ivan did.

U2democrat said:
It's making me so nervous watching it....I hope everyone will be OK! (I also wonder what crazy journalists will be out there covering it...:hmm: )

Hopefully none, some reports basically say if you get caught in it, you won't live:huh:

Holy cow. I've just been on CNN.com and reading updates. This is supposed to be on the three biggest hurricanes of the last century, even if it shrinks to a High Category 4. (It's a Category 5 right now, the hihest level possible...Ivan was only a High 3, I think) Right now, they're saying it could hit in the next 12 hours and the storm surge would be 28 ft, which is almost like the January tsunami! And they're saying Albama could be affected too.

On CNN there's a link to someone keeping a hurricane blog ..I'll see if I can find the link...

*update* It's a big long link addy and I'm too lazy to post it..Miles O"Brian's Hurricane Blog...the link is on the CNN homepage, guys, can someone please post the link? Thanks.

He's still there. IS HE NUTS???? "Right now, we're at Ground zero,or should I say, sub-zero"--LOL. New Orelans is below sea level, that's what makes this REALLY scary!

Here in NY State, it;s raining right now, this morning it was sunny. It's 5 PM. To think a thousand miles north we're feeling the edges of Katrina and it hasn't even struck...that's a sobering thought at hoiw big this is.

Hey, we've got a couple Alabama posters on here, U2Bama and someone else. Hope you guys are battening down the hatches down there! God bless and protect everyone.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've never been around during an Atlantic hurriance either, but I spent a week in Gulf Shores, Alabama 8 months after hurricane Ivan came on shore there (it was predicted to destroy New Orleans, then stayed east).

Was that the one that hit the Caymans and Antigua this time last year or was that a different one? I remember reading that a huge proportion of the buildings in Antigua were damaged.

I was in Jamaica just days after Ivan and still remember how totally wiped out some hotels in Negril were.

Teta040 said:
Here in NY State, it;s raining right now, this morning it was sunny. It's 5 PM. To think a thousand miles north we're feeling the edges of Katrina and it hasn't even struck...that's a sobering thought at hoiw big this is.

I don't think your rain showers are the result of Katrina. It's just a shower, given that this morning it wasn't even raining in New Orleans.

My prayers out to that city though and to whomever is effected by this beast.

Yeah, this is the first time that New Orleans has had mandatory evacuations, I've heard. And I've also heard that this storm's worse than Andrew :uhoh:. That's...not a good sign. I've seen how big it looks on satellite...wow :ohmy:. And it's such a perfectly structured hurricane, too...freakish.

I've never experienced a hurricane-that's one great advantage of living in the northern part of the country, and in areas that are nowhere near any oceans. And I have no desire to start now. My dad has, though-when he was a kid, he and his family went to Mississippi to visit relatives, and that was around the time of Hurricane Camille. They got hit with the outer bands of that storm, and my dad said that those alone were pretty rough, so he can't even begin to imagine what it was like for those who were right smack dab in the heart of the storm.

I feel so bad for the people who are down there covering the storm...they sound so professional and calm while on screen, but I can imagine that deep down, they're also secretly terrified. I know I'd be. I'm also worried 'cause there's an aunt of mine who lives in northwestern Mississippi, and according to the Weather Channel, Katrina's track's supposed to take her up through that area this week :(.

Anywho, I've said this in the weather thread, but yes, my thoughts are also with everyone in that area. Hope to hear from any Interferencers who live down there when things quiet down, so we know that you're all right :hug:. Everyone stay safe and take care, may you all make it through this okay.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
I know Verte is from Alabama...she was really affected by Ivan. Hopefully she's gone for higher ground!!!!!

No, I'm still in Birmingham. The hurricane is predicted to hit New Orleans, but we're prepared for rain and all sorts of crud. This is the biggest, strongest hurricane of possibly my lifetime. Ivan was "only" a Category 3, but it took us to the cleaners. I cannot imagine going through a Category 5, and especially New Orleans because it's below sea level and the levees are going to get busted to bits. We're a six hour drive from the coast, and so far it's still pretty quiet around here. That won't last. We knew Ivan was going to hit 24 hours before, and we haven't gotten any warnings for our county and it's supposed to possibly hit the southern part of the state but we are hopeful we can avoid the brunt of the storm.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Was that the one that hit the Caymans and Antigua this time last year or was that a different one? I remember reading that a huge proportion of the buildings in Antigua were damaged.

Ivan was the hurricane that ripped up Birmingham and much of the state of Alabama, and Cuba and Jamaica before that in September 2004. It was a Category 3 hurricane, but it was the worst storm in the city's history. Thank goodness it doesn't look like this week is going to be a repeat.

We're 200 miles due north of the Gulf and probably a bit eastward of the inland path, but may God be with New Orleans. I hope my friends and relatives have gotten out.

~U2Alabama

My daughter's godfather, and my wife's uncle are there.....in New Orleans...could not get out....prayers appreciated.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path tonight and tomorrow. Let's hope for whatever the best possible outcome is at this time.

We could get whacked.........I haven't watched hurricane news in a few hours now as I attended mass at my church and stuff. It's hitting New Orleans, I'm praying for that whole city, and I hope your folks are OK Dread, it's horrible to have to think about them not being able to get out. Then it may turn a bit to the east, if so, it'll hit us. With luck it will pass to the west of us. Damn. I hate hurricane season. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:( :yikes:

been praying on & off all day Dread for the area/people.....

:hug: s and prayers for everyone living or visiting in the Gulf states area..... /everybeing & and the buildings/trees/infrastructures/roads/bridges/tunnels & levees...

And one report was talking about there are alot of poor people down there who DON"T have cars to help get themselves to safer havens! :sad:

Dread :hug:

verte :hug:

never met u U2Bama-- and sorry to do so under such terrifying circumstances :hug:

Last edited:
Looks like it's gonna be a rough few days down there. And what happens if you get to a hotel? It may be weeks before people can get back.

If you live anywhere within safe driving distance of NOLA or surrounding areas or know someone who needs a place, I often visit the boards at Fark.com and they started a thread for anyone who can offer some place to stay so add it or pass it along if you can [although frankly if you're in harm's way, don't evacuate at this point, just try to ride it out].

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1641991

Dreadsox said:
My daughter's godfather, and my wife's uncle are there.....in New Orleans...could not get out....prayers appreciated.

:hug: for all

dazzledbylight said:
And one report was talking about there are alot of poor people down there who DON"T have cars to help get themselves to safer havens! :sad:

Aw, shit...that sucks :(.

Originally posted by dazzledbylight
Dread :hug:

verte :hug:

never met u U2Bama-- and sorry to do so under such terrifying circumstances :hug:

I'll ditto this-:hug:s to you all. Dread, may your relatives be okay, and verte and U2Bama, may the brunt of the storm miss you both. I'll be thinking of you guys, got my fingers crossed and all that good stuff for you all.

Just to make me feel less worried, verte and Bama, if I recall the last storm, we didn't hear from you guys for a few weeks because of lack of power. We hope you guys do ok but just check in when you can, whenever that may be. Dread, thinking of you as well. Give us an update when you can.

Back
Top Bottom