MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can never laugh at a time like this but I find it incredible that someone there could still have a sense of humor. Maybe that's all that keeps us going sometimes when all else is lost, that and the other aspects of the human spirit that somehow survive.

well I assumed this guy was joking but maybe not :hmm:

capt.ladm11609012342.hurricane_katrina__ladm116.jpg

ironically, my friend and i were flipping through a back issue (november 2004) of national geographic the weekend before the hurricane formed and found this article. my friend thought it was real and was wondering when this had happened, realized it hadn't happened, and then it actually did. the next weekend.

It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Big Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as if they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage to the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm teams" warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising there: Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city. As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however—the car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over. Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level—more than eight feet below in places—so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great.

full text here

eerie.

FYI

Two aircraft carrier and an armory ship left Norfolk Va on Thurs. for the gulf. The Armory is loaded with helicopters.

Verte,

So glad you are OK. And for once I love CNN again.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Maybe this is a stupid question and idea but I was wondering about the U.S. aircraft carriers.. I mean if all NO is flooded and a carrier located in the Gulf would just go near there and stop near NO so they can take rescue boats and quickly get the people out of the Superdome and onto the carrier where some doctors are waiting? Or is that just a stupid idea because it wouldn´t work for a couple of reasons -but why shouldnt it have worked this way, just to get a couple of thousands out quick and easy?

In addition to the aircraft carriers headed to the area, 4 Navy warships are in route from Virginia, including the floating EVAC Hospital Comfort.

~U2Alabama

dandy said:

wow, that is..that song Louisiana is too

Murder and mayhem in New Orleans' miserable shelter

By Mark Egan

With the rotors of President George W. Bush's helicopter sounding overhead, New Orleans' poor and downtrodden recounted tales of murder, rape, death threats and near starvation since Hurricane Katrina wrecked this city.

Ending days of abandonment since the hurricane struck on Monday, the U.S. National Guard handed out military rations and a bottle of water to thousands of evacuees -- the first proper meal most had eaten in days.

But as the masses lined up outside, herded by Army troops toting machine guns, inside the convention center where these people slept since Monday was the stench of death and decay.

Leroy Fouchea, 42, waited in the sweltering heat for an hour to get his ration -- his first proper food since Monday -- and immediately handed it over to a sickly friend.

He then offered to show reporters the dead bodies of a man in a wheelchair, a young man who he said he dragged inside just hours earlier, and the limp forms of two infants, one just four months old, the other six months old.

"They died right here, in America, waiting for food," Fouchea said as he walked toward Hall D, where the bodies were put to get them out of the searing heat.

He said people were let die and left without food simply because they were poor and that the evacuation effort earlier concentrated on the French Quarter of the city. "Because that's where the money is," he spat.

A National Guardsman refused entry.

"It doesn't need to be seen, it's a make-shift morgue in there," he told a Reuters photographer. "We're not letting anyone in there anymore. If you want to take pictures of dead bodies, go to Iraq."

As rations were finally doled out here on the day President Bush visited the devastated city, an elderly white woman and her husband collapsed from the heat.

"I had to walk two blocks to get here and I have arthritis and three ruptured discs in my back," said Selma Valenti, 80, as her husband lay beside her, being revived by a policeman in riot gear. The two had eaten nothing since Wednesday.

Valenti and her husband, two of very few white people in the almost exclusively black refugee camp, said she and other whites were threatened with murder on Thursday.

"They hated us. Four young black men told us the buses were going to come last night and pick up the elderly so they were going to kill us," she said, sobbing. "They were plotting to murder us and then they sent the buses away because we would all be killed if the buses came -- that's what the people in charge told us this morning."

Other survivors recounted horrific cases of sexual assault and murder.

Sitting with her daughter and other relatives, Trolkyn Joseph, 37, said men had wandered the cavernous convention center in recent nights raping and murdering children.

She said she found a dead 14-year old girl at 5 a.m. on Friday morning, four hours after the young girl went missing from her parents inside the convention center.

"She was raped for four hours until she was dead," Joseph said through tears. "Another child, a seven-year old boy was found raped and murdered in the kitchen freezer last night."

Several others interviewed by Reuters told similar stories of the abuse and murder of children, but they could not be independently verified.

Many complained bitterly about why they received so little for so many days, and they had harsh words for Bush.

"I really don't know what to say about President Bush," said Richard Dunbar, 60, a Vietnam veteran. "He showed no lack of haste when he wanted to go to Iraq, but for his own people right here in Louisiana, we get only lip service."

One young man said he was not looking forward to another night in the convention center and wondered when conditions would improve. "It's been like a jail in there," he said. "We've got murderers, rapists, killers, thieves. We've got it all."

Yeah, someone shared that article at another board, too, dandy-really creepy, huh?

Also...

MrsSpringsteen said:
Leroy Fouchea, 42, waited in the sweltering heat for an hour to get his ration -- his first proper food since Monday -- and immediately handed it over to a sickly friend.

First off, bless that man :hug:.

And second...

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"They hated us. Four young black men told us the buses were going to come last night and pick up the elderly so they were going to kill us," she said, sobbing. "They were plotting to murder us and then they sent the buses away because we would all be killed if the buses came -- that's what the people in charge told us this morning."

She said she found a dead 14-year old girl at 5 a.m. on Friday morning, four hours after the young girl went missing from her parents inside the convention center.

"She was raped for four hours until she was dead," Joseph said through tears. "Another child, a seven-year old boy was found raped and murdered in the kitchen freezer last night."

I apologize if I've been swearing a bit too much lately, but...fucking hell...

Angela

Pearl said:
I'd like to know why Doctors Without Borders isn't in New Orleans, or anywhere in the south. The conditions and needs there are no different from that of a third world country, and whenever there's a crisis in places like that, DWB is there in an instant. How come they haven't come to the US? Is it because they can't believe this is happening to the world's richest country?
Well, its not an excuse. Its website hasn't mentioned the hurricane at all. I'm disappointed, especially since I usually donate to DWB.

I've been wondering the same thing. This is really the only disaster relief organization I really trust.

Someone I know in NO has been listed as missing by her family and friends, and I met two refugees yesterday here in NM. They were having coffee at Starbucks, looking rather peaceful in that way that I think shock can do, and wondering where they'd like to live next.

dandy said:
ironically, my friend and i were flipping through a back issue (november 2004) of national geographic the weekend before the hurricane formed and found this article. my friend thought it was real and was wondering when this had happened, realized it hadn't happened, and then it actually did. the next weekend.

full text here

eerie.

That is indeed spooky. :sad:

All I can say is thank God, He has blessed me. I just got online within the past hour. I didn't lose anything or anyone. I spent four days without power, but what the helll, that's transient and a thing of the past. I really feel for the people of the Coast area, I'm so sorry they had to deal with this s:censored:t. I haven't gotten that much news, I'm going to check on disaster relief.

verte76 said:
All I can say is thank God, He has blessed me. I just got online within the past hour. I didn't lose anything or anyone. I spent four days without power, but what the helll, that's transient and a thing of the past. I really feel for the people of the Coast area, I'm so sorry they had to deal with this s:censored:t. I haven't gotten that much news, I'm going to check on disaster relief.

I know what you mean :hug:. We were without power for about 4 days last year with the storms, but we were so lucky.

Doctors Without Borders is a good point but like much of the foreign aid to the US, I think they have to be invited in by the country -- they can't come without an invite.

As for the aircraft carrier, it sounds like the US has also chartered three Carnival Cruise ships to house people for six months. Don't know where they are docking though.

That's probably the case, but I would just like to see DWB acknowledge the crises somehow. Its still not mentioned on its website.

I really don't feel like watching television news. I've been a part of it, yes, a peripheral part to say the least, but I'm getting enough horror stories from the Internet.

This is kind of irrelevant, and obviously there are a handful of plain old sicko-rapists...but I've read some stuff on the effects of dehydration, and one of them is paranoia. There are tons of cases of people "shooting at helicopters" and generally trying to hurt their rescuers and others after they've gone 2 or 3 days without water. I'm not sure what the situation is with some of these shelters, ie how quickly they received fresh water if at all, but I thought I'd mention that. :shrug:

Apparently we have some kids from NO coming to our school temporarily starting Tues. We're also giving part of our homecoming ticket sales to the Red Cross, should equal about $25,000. :up:

VertigoGal said:
Apparently we have some kids from NO coming to our school temporarily starting Tues. We're also giving part of our homecoming ticket sales to the Red Cross, should equal about $25,000. :up:

That's cool :up: :). And yeah, I read in USA Today about kids having to relocate for school elsewhere...some of these refugees are gonna travel quite the distance, some people are going up to the northeastern U.S., there was a story out of the Denver station we get up here in Wyoming earlier talking about bringing people in, my home state of Iowa's even taking in people...

I think that's nice, though. I'm glad to see other parts of the nation doing all they can to reach out to these guys :).

Also, that's interesting about the paranoia thing. Yeah, after having no food and water and seeing all this other sort of stuff going on for days on end, it's not all that surprising, I guess, that some people'd go berserk.

The rape thing still just bugs me to no end, though. That...I'm not understanding at all. And while I understand having a gun on hand, at the same time, the shootings still disturb me, too.

Angela

Personally, I think it's a good chance that the looting/shooting/raping situation has been blown way out of proportion.There are people coming out of NO now, who were actually there, saying "What shooting?" "What looting?" The first day, when it seemed they'd got off easy, there may have been a few people taking TVs or whatever. But the majority of this looting and disorder occured on days 2, 3, 4 with no help coming in to these poor people. You have to feed your family. Where do people think everyone's taking their stolen TVs for fucks sake?! To their non-existant homes?

Anyway, when food and water arrived, the disorder largely disappeared. And people didn't only get things for themselves, they stood in line to get supplies for the frail and infirm. There were a few rapists, yes, and that is not excusable, but it seems the crowd beat them to death which I can't blame them for under the circumstances. If you think you can get away with a crime under temporary anarchy, you also have to face up to the street justice that comes with that.

Anyway, I guess my point is that some would like to portray poor people, street people, as somehow lacking in humanity or decency, when the truth is the majority of the people in this situation are good, decent people like anyone else.

VertigoGal, thank you for saying that. I went down to the reunion arena yesterday morning to see if I could help, but you need to register etc. (I'll look into what I need to do this week, I'm sure my company will be organizing volunteers), anyway I was able to see and speak to some of these people, (and these are people who were in NO a bit longer since Houston filled up first), and I'll tell you they're mainly poor, mainly african american, but as far as I could see very decent, nice and appreciative folks. Every city is going to have its element, personally I think the media feeds on the bad story.

I wouldn't be surprised if the media is blowing this up. I'm way behind on my news because I get most of my news from the Internet and we lost our cable until last night. That means we also couldn't watch television news, for the most part. I'll have to see what the press is up to.

VertigoGal said:
Personally, I think it's a good chance that the looting/shooting/raping situation has been blown way out of proportion.There are people coming out of NO now, who were actually there, saying "What shooting?" "What looting?" The first day, when it seemed they'd got off easy, there may have been a few people taking TVs or whatever. But the majority of this looting and disorder occured on days 2, 3, 4 with no help coming in to these poor people. You have to feed your family. Where do people think everyone's taking their stolen TVs for fucks sake?! To their non-existant homes?

Anyway, when food and water arrived, the disorder largely disappeared. And people didn't only get things for themselves, they stood in line to get supplies for the frail and infirm. There were a few rapists, yes, and that is not excusable, but it seems the crowd beat them to death which I can't blame them for under the circumstances. If you think you can get away with a crime under temporary anarchy, you also have to face up to the street justice that comes with that.

Anyway, I guess my point is that some would like to portray poor people, street people, as somehow lacking in humanity or decency, when the truth is the majority of the people in this situation are good, decent people like anyone else.

amen, VG, elouquently said. :hug:

ramblin rose said:
VertigoGal, thank you for saying that. I went down to the reunion arena yesterday morning to see if I could help, but you need to register etc. (I'll look into what I need to do this week, I'm sure my company will be organizing volunteers), anyway I was able to see and speak to some of these people, (and these are people who were in NO a bit longer since Houston filled up first), and I'll tell you they're mainly poor, mainly african american, but as far as I could see very decent, nice and appreciative folks. Every city is going to have its element, personally I think the media feeds on the bad story.

thanks for going there, rr. :hug:

Yes, unfortunately there are 'elements' in this country that want to continue to portray The Poor in general {and esp poor African Americans/ Latinos}as 'bad'/hell-raising/irresponsible people- and thus undeserving of our care/concerns.

let us know about your future efforts there.

oh yeah, one more horrible thing i heard before i headed to this cafe....interviewing some one from the NOLA area who said that there are now white vigilante groups roaming aroum in NOLA. SOme of them he said were his neighbors.

I beieve he was connected to NOLA's tresureable music scene... Some of the clubs [blues, jazz, cajuan] were spared..
Culture is as an impostant part of life as the basic necessities.

and an appropriate Labor Rights song from the ??? 20's or 30's comes to mind..... I don't know all of it...

"Hearts starve as well as bodies,
Give us Bread, but give us Roses."

prayers of strength and help to all down in the Gulf States.

VertigoGal said:
Personally, I think it's a good chance that the looting/shooting/raping situation has been blown way out of proportion.There are people coming out of NO now, who were actually there, saying "What shooting?" "What looting?"

Hm. I could see that. The news does seem to focus solely on bad things a great deal of the time, after all, making the situat ions worse than they really are (not to say, though, of course, that the few rapes and murders and all that weren't bad...).

Originally posted by VertigoGal
The first day, when it seemed they'd got off easy, there may have been a few people taking TVs or whatever. But the majority of this looting and disorder occured on days 2, 3, 4 with no help coming in to these poor people. You have to feed your family. Where do people think everyone's taking their stolen TVs for fucks sake?! To their non-existant homes?

This is very true *Nods*.

Originally posted by VertigoGal

Also very true.

Angela

here is a message from the blog (Saturday night)

"Ok, gonna go get some sleep.

Last update for the night. Lots of police patrolling in their cars tonight, shining those high intensity spotlights at anyone on the street. The only civilians out are the homeless, one of whom you've all seen on the cam day after day -- the guy who set up his little stolen clothes shop on the sidewalk under the Pan Am building. We've got four regulars out there now -- the guy I just mentioned, a drunk who carries a cane and beats on every object he passes, a woman who wears a leather skirt and thinks everyone is a cop and offers herself for arrest, and her man who basically yells at her all day. At least the police aren't bothering them. I hope they can get some professional help, but I'm sure that's unlikely.

Oh well, hopefully things will continue to improve. It would be nice to have some pleasant news to report."

Yeah, the news does tend to focus on the negative. Will Durant once wrote "virtue makes no news". I think he was right. But in New Orleans and its environs it must be tough to find any decent news.

Last edited:
NEW ORLEANS -- For days, mystery shrouded the body of "Vera."

She stayed there in the Garden District, at the corner of Jackson and Magazine, with a spray-painted tribute on the sheet over her body: "Here lies Vera. God help us."

Vera turns out to have been 66-year-old Elvira Smith, who lived with her common-law husband, C.N. Keene, about five blocks from where she was killed.

Sitting shirtless and with a growth of beard on his front porch, Keene said he last saw his wife Monday after the hurricane struck.

Keene said she was on her way to a grocery when someone driving in the frantic aftermath of the hurricane struck her just a few feet from the store entrance and sped away. The next day, Keene said, he walked over and put a bedspread over her body, but he didn't want to return to it.

On Saturday, Keene was sitting on his porch when a man came up to him with some news.

"Some guy I didn't even know named John came by and said, `I've just buried Elvira in the park,"' Keene said. Her body remained in the same spot, but a short wall of bricks had been built around her, anchoring the tarp.

"I told him I appreciated it," Keene said.

0006C6B1-5A8A-131D-92F00C01AC1BF814.jpg

Schilling family is hosting nine from New Orleans

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff | September 6, 2005

Last autumn, Curt Schilling helped the Red Sox win it all. Now, he and his wife, Shonda, are helping a New Orleans family of nine who have lost almost everything.

Moved by the plight of thousands of Gulf Coast residents whose lives were shattered by Hurricane Katrina, the star pitcher and his wife arranged to fly up a family and to put them up in a Boston-area hotel, where the family has been since Saturday.

The Fields family has seven children, four boys and three girls. They are between the ages of 5 and 12. The family fled its New Orleans home just before the storm, with only a few clothes and groceries.

As they realized the scope of the devastation in New Orleans, the Schillings decided to help, and they chose a personal, immediate gesture rather than a simple contribution of money.

''When we realized how many people had nowhere to go, we didn't just want to make a donation," Shonda Schilling said yesterday.

''We decided we wanted to bring an entire family here and put them up," she added. ''We all need to take care of each other at a time like this."

The Fields family spent last week in an Atlanta-area hotel, with the help of a charitable group. While staying there, they were contacted by a woman who had set up a website, openyourhome.com, to match displaced families with people willing to take them in.

The Schillings registered on the site Friday; on Saturday they anonymously arranged for the family to fly to Boston. The Fields had never even been to the Northeast. But with little money and no place to go, they accepted the offer.

''He said, 'I would like to help you,' " Efrem Fields, 31, said in a phone interview from his hotel yesterday. ''He didn't say who he was. He just said, 'You have a big family, and it's hard to take care of a big family in hard times.' He's right about that -- it is."

A van showed up at the hotel to take the family to the airport on Saturday afternoon. Fields and his wife, Shelita, 28, were frightened to fly, but they managed. They arrived in Boston that evening.

The Schillings, who have four children 10 and younger, visited the family at the hotel. It was then that Fields learned who had helped his family.

''I said, 'Wait a second, I know this guy,' " said Fields, a big baseball fan. ''Schilling . . . Schilling, there's only one Schilling I know, and he's a baseball player! It blew my mind."

When the two families met, Fields said, ''it was a beautiful experience." The children instantly hit it off and have been playing together most days since, both families say.

The Schillings have pledged to provide housing for the family for a year, and are trying to arrange for the children to attend school. The Fieldses plan to attend their first-ever Major League baseball game, tonight at Fenway Park.

The Schillings have visited the family frequently since they arrived, bringing clothing, medicine and toys, and have called several times to check in, Fields said.

''They are beautiful people, God-loving people," Fields said. ''I am very grateful for what he's done for me."

Though the Schillings are outspoken advocates for many causes, notably ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, the Schillings made arrangements for the Fields family quietly, and discussed it only after they were contacted by The Boston Globe.

The Schillings are known for charitable work. In 2001, Curt Schilling won the Roberto Clemente Award, given annually to the Major League player who combines outstanding skills on the field with work in the community.

The pitcher said the wives of other Major League ballplayers are also trying to arrange to help families in need.

In New Orleans, Fields's first instinct was to stay at home and weather the storm, but the family decided to leave town as reports grew more dire. All his and his wife's relatives also evacuated safely, he said, and they are now scattered across the South.

''I didn't know where we were going. We just picked up and drove," said Fields, who also thanked people in the Atlanta area for their kindness and generosity. ''My children were pretty scared, but I thought we'd be coming back in a couple of days."

Fields said he contacted his boss at the fuel company he works for and learned his neighborhood was badly damaged. He does not expect to salvage his home or his belongings. Of particular loss is an urn with the cremation ashes of twins born prematurely, who died a few years ago, he said. ''It's a very sad thing to lose," he said.

Fields is also saddened by the devastation in New Orleans, but isn't sure if they will return.

''We're just trying to get on right now," he said. ''I haven't figured out what's next. I am just glad all my family is all right, and we pray for the families."

''As long as I have my kids to play with, my spirits are good. As long as we can all drive each other up the wall, that's a good thing," he said with a chuckle.

Shonda Schilling said it is heartwarming to see the two families interact. She knows they've been through more than she can imagine.

''I'm trying not to cry when I see them," she said. ''They can't cry yet. They are still in shock. But it's a beautiful family, and they are all together

you're welcome verte :)

9/11 Families Reach Out to Katrina's Needy

By AMY WESTFELDT, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 6

Edie Lutnick can't watch images of Hurricane Katrina's devastation for very long. The memories it evokes are too painful.

"How do you watch people saying that their loved ones are missing and look at pictures of missing people and not have it be reminiscent of 9/11?" said Lutnick, whose brother Gary was killed in the 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

As the families of Sept. 11 victims prepare for mourning rituals to mark the fourth anniversary of the attacks, many have begun offering hurricane survivors the same kind of support they received from strangers.

"We realize that our pain is something that we can help heal by giving back," said Valerie McGee, whose husband, Brian McGee, died on Sept. 11. "It's time to give back."

The relatives of firefighter Stephen Siller plan to create the "9/11 Families for Katrina Relief Fund" this week, Siller's brother Frank said. Siller's widow has already donated two trailers full of water to victims in the Gulf Coast, he said.

Another group, the Coalition of 9/11 Families, may pair with one or two charitable institutions to start another relief drive.

At least one victim's relative has already traveled to the Gulf Coast. Joe Downey, the New York Fire Department's battalion chief of rescue operations, is one in a 36-member team of New York emergency personnel sent to the hurricane region last week. His father, deputy chief Ray Downey, was killed on Sept. 11.

"We're going to address this with the same force and intensity as we addressed 9/11," said Lutnick. She is the director of the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund, which represents families of Sept. 11 victims who worked at the Cantor Fitzgerald brokerage in the World Trade Center, as well as some smaller firms.

McGee, a member of WTC Family Center, said she is finding the stories of Katrina survivors looking for loved ones the hardest to take.

"Families are scattered. People you can't find. Same as in New York," she said. "People never saw or heard from their loved ones again."

She said her group is starting with cash donations to the American Red Cross and contemplating other ways to help Katrina victims. For now, she said, "money is the most important thing."

Other family members said they were shocked that help hadn't come more quickly to the thousands of stranded storm victims in New Orleans.

"I think it's really heartbreaking," said William Doyle, who lost his son, Joseph Doyle, on Sept. 11. "Unfortunately, these people aren't getting the help that the 9/11 families got."

___

On the Net:

http://www.coalitionof911families.org/

http://www.wtcfamilycenter.org/

http://cantorrelief.org/

Back
Top Bottom