MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #106
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Good to hear updates from you guys. I still just watch and am a bit awestruck by it all. I guess my biggest problem with all of it is that there are so many people who may have died because they didn't want to be bothered with evacuating. I'm not talking about people that didn't have the means to evacuate, I'm talking about people who did and choose not to. You wonder how much less of a tragedy this could have been.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Regarding the looting, one reporter mentioned how people are entering survival mode. One scary scenario is that if authorities don't start providing the resources needed to help these people, total anarchy could result with, I hope not, people actually killing other people for food, water, and blankets. People living in a modern Western city have different expectations regarding the basics of life as compared to the tsunami victims for example. This tragedy could enter a new level of horror if they don't start evacuating the remaining people from New Orleans especially the thousands holed up in the Superdome. The looting is minor compared to the what could happen when people start entering "survival mode" with a better me than you attitude.

I hope this doesn't happen but stress and fear cause people to do crazy things and justify it.

Another note, New Orleans has been waiting for this kind of incident for decades especially with the recent erosion of the surrounding coastline over the past years. If they plan on rebuilding and continuing on, they should contact the Netherlands for expert assistance regarding levees and water protection devices. However, the Netherlands does not have the hurricane factor so maybe this is nature's way of saying close it down now before the next hurricane floods the whole city killing everyone with a direct hit.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
The President and GOP congress will surely give the top 5% wealthiest Americans a big tax cut.

It is the only way to address this.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:30 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I just talked to my mom and found out that my aunt and her husband who live in New Orleans did get out in time. But their house is sure to be totally ruined. Still, that's a small thing compared to the value of still having their lives. I'm quite relieved.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

I'm glad your relatives are safe sula, sorry about their losses
Old 08-31-2005, 05:48 AM   #111
New Yorker

I'm glad everyone's relatives are safe.

It's hard to take it all in. I wish the networks wouldn't harp on the looting. They always have to harp on something. Many of these people are among the poorest in the US and their behavior is hardly surprising.

The New Orleans Major says the different disaster organizations aren't coordinating well. Communications between them are difficult because of different radio frequencies and stuff. I thought this issue was fixed after 9-11.

I can't figure out why military copters aren't being utilized. They could at least haul in porta pots to the thousands stranded at the superdome.

My prayers for thiose affected
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 AM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

I hope verte is alright.

Glad to hear everyone's relatives are safe.

This is getting worse by the minute.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Its really really shit. In the news they say the rescue boats are,.. like, they see dead people floating in the water. And that 200,000 people will not be able to return the next four weeks. This is a disaster. People are looting. Others are still waiting to be rescued on their roofs after 48 hrs. A fucking oil platform has crashed against a bridge. And dams are still broken and the whole city is underwater.

My poor New Orleans and the poor people

Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 PM
This is just completely sad. It's really heartbreaking.

I'm glad that Dreadsox and U2Bama and the rest of you have checked in and are safe.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:20 AM   #115
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

So we're just waiting for Verte to check in now...hope you have some art supplies for the duration, Verte!

Prayers for everyone affected, still.

A friend of mine who lives in Florida sent me an e-mail saying he and his wife were okay and that Ohio would probably see more rain than he had, LOL.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:45 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

oh my God

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- Conditions are far from ideal at the Louisiana Superdome, but for the new arrivals, it's better than what they left behind.

Rescuers are continuing to bring survivors from Hurricane Katrina to the huge sports arena, where the air conditioning is out and the bathrooms are filthy. And there are two holes in the roof, caused by the storm.

There are more than 10,000 people in the arena.

Officials had earlier reported two deaths at the Superdome, and now, they report that someone died Tuesday after plunging from an upper level of the stadium. They say the person probably jumped.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #117
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 AM   #118
Blue Crack Distributor

Cripes.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

I found this on Yahoo, it has a list of places to donate to

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics...HOO&cmpgn=NEWS
Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 AM   #120
Refugee

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Regarding the looting, one reporter mentioned how people are entering survival mode.
This is a very important point. We have to be careful when we pass sweeping judgments on people looting and all. I saw a guy on TV from the area that was wandering around desperately looking for food. If you are in a devastated area, you simply cannot go to the store and pay for basic necessities, because there is no one around and everything is destroyed. Some people might have to just go and take some stuff laying around for survival. I think all of us would do the same in this situation, and we can't judge them too harshly. (I'm not talking about anyone's comments here, mostly how the media tends to treat these topics)

That being said, there is a difference between taking things for survival (food, clothing, etc.) and people steeling jewelry or TVs or what not. There is no excuse for that obviously.