MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #91
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I was just watching CNN and the meteorology Rob Marciano was in Biloxi, obviously very shaken up by what he had been seeing...he kept wondering why people had stayed there and whoever was still there needed to get out. This is such a disaster for some of the poorest parts of America.
Terrible

I hope Verte is able to check in soon

Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
I hope verte is ok.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #93
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:34 PM
My sister in-law lives an hour north of New Orleans. All of her family had evacuated except for her 18 year old daughter. We haven't heard from them yet.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure verte probably just has no power, who knows how long it will take for her to get it back

I'm sure briarrose that they just have no way to communicate w/ you. I'm sorry, it must be awful for you worrying
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The looting has begun down there. What the hell is wrong with these people? One official has stated that these people need to be treated "ruthlessly." I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #96
War Child

Local Time: 12:34 PM
The reason it's not being stopped is all police are rescuing people. These looters won't hold their stuff for long, as water continues to rise and the city will be evacuated for months. It probably shouldn't be covered as it distracts from the real news story going on down there.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I was just watching CNN and the meteorology Rob Marciano was in Biloxi, obviously very shaken up by what he had been seeing...he kept wondering why people had stayed there and whoever was still there needed to get out. This is such a disaster for some of the poorest parts of America.
I'm still catching up here....not heard the latest....didn't know that now both sides of the water protection were gone [last heard in was one side]....

U2dem {hello & hugs on a bad day for our country}...one of the major problems {New Orl} is there were many poor people who didn't have the cars, or the money to take serious transportataion outta there.

MY prayers of strength to all who are greiving, who are injured, those who are still physically trapped, who are waiting for news of fam & freinds, to the rescuers, med people and the various kinds of proffessional crews going down there to help.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by briarrose
My sister in-law lives an hour north of New Orleans. All of her family had evacuated except for her 18 year old daughter. We haven't heard from them yet.
I would hope and do believe that there is a good chance that they are {and verte] too, are just currenty out of abilty to communicate with you/us. ANd will do so when able.....but yes this one of the rings of Hell ...waiting and if you have the tendency to be fighting off excessive worry......... .

stay strong.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Jesus, this is a nightmare.

New Orleans is over 80% flooded, they can't stop the water from coming in because it's now filling in from both sides, martial law has been declared in the city, reports of over 90 deaths so far (not counting in New Orleans itself, they can't get in there yet).

Looks like New Orleans is basically gone, at this point. They can't stop the water that's rushing in, can't fix the levee break with water rushing in, the pumps are already overloaded and Lake Pontchartrain just keeps coming. I guess the only things that are left, according to CNN are the areas that are right hard up against the levee on the Mississippi River side, but those are going soon too, it looks like.

Such a beautiful city. Goodbye, New Orleans...
Oh, my god. Shit... .

I saw footage of some building burning today, and I saw the flood waters. Man, Katrina really did these people in...

I'd heard that it was going to take a month or more before the areas of New Orleans that are left would have power restored. Geez. And hopefully we'll hear from verte soon, too-wouldn't surprise me if their power was out, too. I bet she's okay.

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
The looting has begun down there. What the hell is wrong with these people? One official has stated that these people need to be treated "ruthlessly." I couldn't agree more.
Ugh, I saw that on the TV earlier, too. I don't understand that kind of mentality, either . Some people are idiots. But thank you for sharing that e-mail, MrsSpringsteen...bless those people's hearts. Good for them .

briarrose, I hope your sister-in-law's family hears from their daughter soon, I hope she's okay . And U2Girl1978, that story you shared....

I just want to go down there and give each and every person who's gone through this a hug. It's not much, I know, but I just want to do that. I don't blame that one meteorologist for being shaken up-I'd be the same way.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank you all for your prayers....

We have heard from our relative, and he is safe in the ballroom of a hotel in New Orleans....

They evacuated him out of his room because windows were coming out of the window pain.
'
Anyways...all your prayers are appreciated.

Peace
Old 08-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Thank you all for your prayers....

We have heard from our relative, and he is safe in the ballroom of a hotel in New Orleans....

They evacuated him out of his room because windows were coming out of the window pain.
'
Anyways...all your prayers are appreciated.

Peace
That's awesome news, Dread . So glad to hear something good out of all of this.

And you're welcome, too .
Old 08-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm glad to hear that your relatives are in good order, Dread.

I'm sure verte is alright, but probably without power still. It is gradually being restored here in the Birmingham area. We got ours back this morning. Most of the school systems and some businesses were closed today. We ate lunch at a restaurant in Homewood that had limited electricity (from a generator) and was apparently cooking with gas as most of their items are grilled.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, are you one of those "Spring Breakers" that crowds up "The T" in Gulf Shores at night, hooting and hollering at all the other Spring Breakers, when I'm trying to go get some crab claws at Sea N' Suds? We usually visit Orange Beach that time of year (the rest of the year we stay in Walton County, Florida), but the house we stay at in Orange Beach was still being repaired from Ivan up until June. We have not heard anything from yesterday.

Everyone, please keep New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Mobile County/Dauphin Island and all of their residents in your prayers. Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi said yesterday that what he feared most was that they would have a lot of dead people in their coastal counties and it appears that Mississippi has indeed had the most casualties. Governor Riley of Alabama said yesterday morning on the news that all 4 states (including Florida) went into the weekend with a pact: each state would make provisions to prepare for this disaster as if it were to hit their state, and whichever states did not get hit hard would send provisions and assistance to the states that were hardest hit. We are good neighbors down here in the South and I can promise you that we will take care of each other.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Good to be hearing from people.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

prayers continue...... U2Bama

Very good to hear your good news, Dread!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I'm sure verte is alright, but probably without power still. It is gradually being restored here in the Birmingham area. We got ours back this morning. Most of the school systems and some businesses were closed today. We ate lunch at a restaurant in Homewood that had limited electricity (from a generator) and was apparently cooking with gas as most of their items are grilled.
Wow. That'd be so weird...

Glad to hear things are slowly starting to get up and running again for you, though . Glad you're okay, too .

Quote:
Everyone, please keep New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Mobile County/Dauphin Island and all of their residents in your prayers. Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi said yesterday that what he feared most was that they would have a lot of dead people in their coastal counties and it appears that Mississippi has indeed had the most casualties.
. That's so awful.

Don't worry, they've got my support and condolances and all that good stuff .

Quote:
Governor Riley of Alabama said yesterday morning on the news that all 4 states (including Florida) went into the weekend with a pact: each state would make provisions to prepare for this disaster as if it were to hit their state, and whichever states did not get hit hard would send provisions and assistance to the states that were hardest hit. We are good neighbors down here in the South and I can promise you that we will take care of each other.

~U2Alabama
That's wonderful . A great idea, it's good to see you all banding together here .

Somebody at another board I visit posted a link to some places where you can donate money and other things to help the people in the southeast...I'm gonna see if my family can donate something. I want to help, even if it's just a small contribution.

Angela