MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it will be too bad, verte. It's already a Cat-1, and is decreasing in intensity by the minute. Hell, it might even be a TS by the time it gets to Birmingham. Stay positive and safe. :hug:

Well, it's late in the afternoon and we stiill have our power. I hope we can keep it. The wind is terrible, we are under a severe storm warning, but I hope we can keep our power at the very least.

Teta040 said:
I second that, about stupidity in the media. Or should I say, stupidity of PEOPLE. I was watching Good Morning America earlier this morning, around 11:30 maybe 15-20 mins after the worst of the storm was leaving NE, and they showed some kid out doing his version of extreme sports sliding around on a dmaged roof on his duff, and being buffeted by the wind. WAS HE NUTS????:scratch:

I know! I'm seeing people just meandering about the beach right before the storm came in, and seeing people surfing and whatnot, and I'm like, "You guys are idiots!" Seriously, am I weird? When severe weather's coming, I prefer to be indoors, and safe, not outside testing my luck. I guess that's not a common thought among people :huh:.

Scary picture of the Superdome's roof there :tsk:.

More :hug:s for verte and other Southerners. It's good to know the storm is rapidly weakening, though...and I'm very happy to hear that New Orleans is still intact :up:. My sister said she saw a clip on TV of some sign up on a building right before Katrina came in, and it said, "Please pray for New Orleans". She thought that was rather eerie, considering how, the way everyone was talking before Katrina came ashore, New Orleans would apparently no longer exist after this or whatever.

But thank god that it looks as though for the most part, they're all right. Hopefully the same will be said for the rest of you *Crosses fingers*.

Angela

I've been hearing rumors on weather sites of terrible destruction in Lousiana and Miss. that largely isn't being covered because it's impossible to get into the devastated areas. Hope the rumors turn out to be untrue.

>
BREAKING NEWS

An emergency official says there are 50 hurricane-related deaths in Mississippi's Harrison County, The Associated Press reports. CNN working to confirm.

:no:

I'm watching the coverage of this catastrophe and it reminds of the horror of the Asian tsunami. I mean, the US is the most advanced, richest country on the planet and they still cannot come to grips with this disaster or the scope of it. Unfortunately, there are fears that many people have perished as a result of the flooding which some experts suggested was the main cause of death in past hurricanes of this magnitude. Still I'm sure the casualities will be a relatively low number especially compared to the the tsunami. Most of the damage appears to be structural and buildings can be rebuilt. Thankfully, most people left the path of the hurricane. I'm not trying to belittle this disaster but I cannot even fathom how insane and frustrating it must have been for the people in Asia especially after watching how difficult it is for America to cope with this tragedy. Nature is so powerful. We are just renting this planet.

The sad thing is that this will be repeated again in the future as the southeastern US is in hurricane alley and there is still a while to go before the hurricane season ends. Hopefully, this was the worst one for this year. Hopefully.:sad:

CNN is also reporting a possible breach in one of New Orleans' levees the size of 2 blocks. :(

CNN meteorologist Chad Myers "flipped out" on Daybreak anchor Carol Costello at 4:32am, according to several e-mailers. "She started to interrupt him and he yelled at her...and threw his papers to the floor. They later pretended it was in jest but it appeared to be a genuine outburst."

Here's the transcript:

Myers: It has filled in a little bit, filled in with some air, but this lower portion, but...

Costello: Chad, Chad, Chad...

Myers: Let me talk Carol!

Costello: Translate that for us, I don't know what that means, what does that mean--

Myers: Well if you would let me talk!

Costello: [Laughs] Go ahead.

this site had the video but it's not working now, maybe later

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser...myers_yell_at_each_other_on_live_tv_25118.asp

CNN's coverage of the hurricane has been nothing but a waste of time. every time i've tuned in to try to get a sense of what was going on, all i've seen were reporters out in the storm in various places, you couldn't hear much of what they were saying, and the video kept cutting out. last night i saw one woman who couldn't even talk while she was being beaten by the wind and rain. the only thing i heard her manage to spit out was "don't come out here!"

don't go outside in the midst of one of the worst storms to hit the US. breaking news, indeed.

no commentary, no overview of the situation, just soundbites and jumbled images. what's the point to having a 24-hour news station that doesn't give you any concrete news?

:frustrated:

I think they are just turning peoples' misery into some sick, twisted version of CNN's (or whatever channel's) reality show :down:

I saw this woman last night who lives in Gulfport, MS. All she could find that's left of her possessions was a shoe :(

trevster2k said:
I'm watching the coverage of this catastrophe and it reminds of the horror of the Asian tsunami. I mean, the US is the most advanced, richest country on the planet and they still cannot come to grips with this disaster or the scope of it. Unfortunately, there are fears that many people have perished as a result of the flooding which some experts suggested was the main cause of death in past hurricanes of this magnitude. Still I'm sure the casualities will be a relatively low number especially compared to the the tsunami. Most of the damage appears to be structural and buildings can be rebuilt. Thankfully, most people left the path of the hurricane. I'm not trying to belittle this disaster but I cannot even fathom how insane and frustrating it must have been for the people in Asia especially after watching how difficult it is for America to cope with this tragedy. Nature is so powerful. We are just renting this planet.

*Nods* Very interesting thoughts-totally agree with you.

I've been fortunate enough to live in areas where, while we've had flooding, it's never been on that level. I can't even begin to imagine a hurricane or tsunami's effects...:tsk:. Wow.

I think they are just turning peoples' misery into some sick, twisted version of CNN's (or whatever channel's) reality show :down:

That's really sad, and pathetic :down:. At least when I've watched the Weather Channel, the people there actually seem to be taking this seriously and don't seem to be acting the way these news channels you're mentioning are. They just go out there, report on it, and they sound sincere in their concern for the people.

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I saw this woman last night who lives in Gulfport, MS. All she could find that's left of her possessions was a shoe :(

:(.

My condolances to anyone down there who's lost loved ones to this, by the way-may they rest in peace.

Send in the tough guy! To tackle coverage of Hurricane Katrina, Fox News dispatched someone who has seen his share of disaster: Miami-based correspondent Steve Harrigan , who has provided plenty of war coverage for the network over the years.

In a broadcast yesterday, a soaked (and goggle-wearing) Harrigan described the weather conditions, including 135-mph winds, in Gulfport, Miss., as "scary" -- this from a man who has reported on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as well as the Afghan and Chechen wars.

When veteran war correspondent Steve Harrigan says it's "scary" out, be afraid, be very afraid.

News anchor Jon Scott remarked: "Steve, I know you've been in places like Afghanistan. When you describe it as 'scary' it's got to be pretty scary." Harrigan's response: "It is." Yikes!

I saw this on cnn.com and it makes me so sad for this guy and for everyone who has lost a loved one in this hurricane...

*A man in Biloxi told CNN affiliate WKRG-TV he believed his wife was killed after she was ripped from his grasp when their home split in half.

"She told me, 'You can't hold me,' ... take care of the kids and the grandkids .... *

:sad:

Jesus, this is a nightmare.

New Orleans is over 80% flooded, they can't stop the water from coming in because it's now filling in from both sides, martial law has been declared in the city, reports of over 90 deaths so far (not counting in New Orleans itself, they can't get in there yet).

Looks like New Orleans is basically gone, at this point. They can't stop the water that's rushing in, can't fix the levee break with water rushing in, the pumps are already overloaded and Lake Pontchartrain just keeps coming. I guess the only things that are left, according to CNN are the areas that are right hard up against the levee on the Mississippi River side, but those are going soon too, it looks like.

Such a beautiful city. Goodbye, New Orleans... :sad:

U2Girl1978 said:

*A man in Biloxi told CNN affiliate WKRG-TV he believed his wife was killed after she was ripped from his grasp when their home split in half.
"She told me, 'You can't hold me,' ... take care of the kids and the grandkids .... *

:sad:

I was just looking at some of the e-mails on cnn.com and this one must be about him. So at least something so horrible can bring out good in people

"A friend of ours recently lost his wife and was left with five children to raise. To do that, he took a job in Iraq for six months, leaving the children with his elderly mother. When I saw the news clip of Harvey Jackson, whose wife's last words were for him to take care of the kids, my heart broke and I was reminded of my friend. If Mr. Hardy Jackson can be located, and if someone can help him and his children to get to Atlanta, my husband and I have a 2 bedroom rental unit that he can live in for a couple months rent free so he can him start over and take care of the kids. Of course he will need other assistance such as furniture, and food. If the Red Cross or other agencies can help with food, clothing, and other basic supplies, we will help to provide some basic furniture and assist him in finding a job."

Deborah and Press Hall, Jr.
Dunwoody, Georgia

I was just watching CNN and the meteorology Rob Marciano was in Biloxi, obviously very shaken up by what he had been seeing...he kept wondering why people had stayed there and whoever was still there needed to get out. This is such a disaster for some of the poorest parts of America.

Back
Top Bottom