MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:25 PM
This may be meanspirited of me, but I hope that Rita spares Texas in favor of New Orleans. There is potential for another major city to be devastated, which I think is worse than the same city getting hit twice. Obviously the best case scenario is that a miracle happens and Rita veers somewhere away from land. Maybe my thoughts are misguided, but it's just my opinion.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
This may be meanspirited of me, but I hope that Rita spares Texas in favor of New Orleans. There is potential for another major city to be devastated, which I think is worse than the same city getting hit twice. Obviously the best case scenario is that a miracle happens and Rita veers somewhere away from land. Maybe my thoughts are misguided, but it's just my opinion.

The same city being hit twice??!! By two major hurricanes??!!

I am sure that the people from New Orleans that still cannot go back home do not necessarily agree with you. It also depends on size, New Orleans was a large city and Galveston, which now seems to be the most affected town by Rita, is smaller, so let's hope that damage is more controlled. Houston seems to indirectly affected as well, but there the damage will not be as bad.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I can't believe there's another one
My heart is breaking for the people who will be affected by Rita. And that might be ALL of us who drive in the U.S., if it damages the oil rigs off the coast of Texas. Top your tank RIGHT NOW if you want to pay the cheapest prices we're likely to see for a while...

I'm listening to streaming audio from a Houston news station (my TV is broken) and people who are trying to evaculate are in the World's Largest Parking Lot right now...traffic is not moving because so many people are on the road, trying to leave.

God, take care of them...

P.S. A radio announcer has just said that a shift in the track of the storm might make it more likely to affect New Orleans.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
P.S. A radio announcer has just said that a shift in the track of the storm might make it more likely to affect New Orleans.
Oh, hell....

This is just insane. I can't believe this. I am hoping like crazy that anyone in the path of this thing will be all right.

Angela
Old 09-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #335
Refugee

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Now they're saying it shifted to the right and Houston and Glaveston are going to lilely escape a direct hit. Um, NO escaped a direct hit too (Biloxi and Mibile got the direct it, and it was also a "shift to the right" from the major city.

At this time (24-36 hrs) before Katrina hit, it was a 145-150 too, down from a 175 to 160. It is shrinking in exact speed and proportion as Katrina. Even if it loses 20=30 MPH before Sat it'll still wreak horrendous property damage hell. There will be a low death toll, but how many will be homeless?

For any Texans on here, hugs...
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

My sympathies are certainly with those who will get hit with Rita. Ugh!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Now they're saying it shifted to the right and Houston and Glaveston are going to lilely escape a direct hit. Um, NO escaped a direct hit too (Biloxi and Mibile got the direct it, and it was also a "shift to the right" from the major city.

At this time (24-36 hrs) before Katrina hit, it was a 145-150 too, down from a 175 to 160. It is shrinking in exact speed and proportion as Katrina. Even if it loses 20=30 MPH before Sat it'll still wreak horrendous property damage hell. There will be a low death toll, but how many will be homeless?

For any Texans on here, hugs...
I guess the Coldplay concert for this Saturday near Houston is going to be cancelled if it has not been already. How far inland does the evacuation extend?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Up to 20 Dead in Fire Aboard Evacuees' Bus
Sep 23 8:45 AM US/Eastern

WILMER, Texas

A bus carrying elderly evacuees from Hurricane Rita caught fire early Friday on a gridlocked highway near Dallas, killing as many as 20 people, authorities said.

"We believe it's going to be closer to 20 fatalities," Dallas County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Don Peritz said.

NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 9:11 a.m. ET Sept. 23, 2005

DALLAS - A bus filled with 45 elderly Hurricane Rita evacuees from the Houston area caught fire early Friday on gridlocked Interstate 45, leaving at least 24 dead, according to local officials.

"There were 45 souls on the bus ... at this point we believe we have about half accounted for," Dallas County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Don Peritz. He said early indications were that a mechanical problem caused the blaze and that passengers' oxygen tanks caught fire.

Separately, the Dallas County Fire Marshal's office told NBC News that 24 were killed in the tragedy.

Engulfed
The bus was engulfed with flames, causing a 17-mile backup on a freeway that was already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast.

By early Friday morning, the bus was reduced to a blackened, burned-out shell, surrounded by numerous police cars and ambulances.

"The early indications are this is a mechanical issue," Peritz said. "The driver did survive the accident. It's my understanding he went back onto the bus several times to try to evacuate people."
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:55 AM
CNN just reported possible levee breach in New Orleans, 9th ward area.

And now they are concerned with people being stranded on highways when the hurricane hits.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yep, I've heard about all that this morning, too.

I believe this would be hell personified, if hell did indeed exist. Can't these people catch any sort of a break?

I really hope that those who are still on the road will be able to find a place to go as soon as possible. Also, may all those who died in that bus fire rest in peace-condolances to their families and friends .
Old 09-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #341
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:25 PM
This is so bad.

I have some family in Houston.. cousins... please keep them in your thoughts.

Quote:
Good Morning. Well, we are hunkered down and ready for Rita. Our yard is bare of anything that could fly, except for the trees. Windows have been taped, water stored in containers and candles ready. They are expecting the high winds this afternoon and then the rains tonight and throughout the morning. We will probably loose electricity as soon as trees start falling over power lines. Amy and the girls went north to Texarcanna. Gregg, Eric will be together, Liz it at Elizabeths, Phil and Deb are at home and we have mom with us here, Danny and Pam are home. Our big worry is the trees and how much damage they could do. We will have one land line phone connected and then our cell phones. Depending on the wrath of the storm, we could be without power for several days. Will let you know how we faired when it's all over. Love to you all. Kathy & Robb
Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sorry to hear that Sicy, good luck to your cousins
Old 09-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Wishing them the best of luck with Rita, Sicy-hope they'll be all right .
Old 09-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Praying for all those affected in Texas.

My sister-in-law was just discharged from the hospital following knee replacement surgery. Two days ago, they started calling hotels in case they left Houston. The nearest available space is near Dallas. I don't think she would survive the car ride.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #345
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:25 AM

I had no idea knee replacements were that dangerous. Is she on drugs with serious side effects, or is it just that the leg can't tolerate motion?