MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I survived the storm. I'm safe. I'm at work, and a bit frazzled and overwhelmed, but I'm not the only one. We all are.
I don't blame you guys, I'd be the same way. Talk about stress...

So glad to hear you're all right, verte . Good to have you back .

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I've seen some of the scenes from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and they're horrific. New Orleans as we know it doesn't look like it exists any longer. Will they have to take it off of the map?
...wow, that's a strange thought, New Orleans not being on the map anymore...I don't know. I don't know what they'll do with that city. I would hate to be the person in charge of making decisions about that city right now .

Angela

Old 09-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Welcome back!

Verte

You were missed.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #153
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:18 PM
I think I had to say this last year as well, but once again verte, thanks for checking in and letting us know you're ok.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #154
I Serve Larry's Stick

Why I love my grandmother in 1000 words or less.

The discussion I just had with my grandmother about the hurricane went kind of like this:

Me: So you're telling me that even with everyone saying this was the worst hurricane ever and even if it didn't hit NOLA directly that there shouldn't have been some sort of mobilization or 'stand-by' type thing going on with the military?

Grandma: They never thought it would be this bad!

Me: They saw it coming for 3 days and they KNEW it was going to be bad even if it wasn't a cat 5 when it hit.

Grandma: They're doing everything they can!

Me: Yeah but why weren't they doing it 3 or 4 days ago?

Grandma:

Me:

And then she tried to tell me I had no place to talk because I didn't vote. I told her she could have her government cause I sure didn't want it.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I am completely baffled as to why people would shoot at rescuers. Honestly, it seems that there is the potential for a serious descent into lawlessness and chaos akin to what one sees in a war. I've been an advocate for tighter gun control and this certainly doesn't make me feel like loosening that position anytime soon.
I think that if I was in that post-disaster position a firearm would be very good protection against these reprimitivised men.

Is it really an issue of gun control though? how many of these people just looted guns and ammo?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that if I was in that post-disaster position a firearm would be very good protection against these reprimitivised men.
And what happens when the firearms are in the hands of those "repremitivised men"?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Is it really an issue of gun control though? how many of these people just looted guns and ammo?
the difference is, here in the UK where handguns are illegal, there are hardly any shops that sell guns. Therefore, in the same situation, there wouldn't really be guns to be looted
Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #158
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am

Me: They saw it coming for 3 days and they KNEW it was going to be bad even if it wasn't a cat 5 when it hit.

Absolutely. Why isn't the government doing more? Why weren't they better prepared for the aftermath? There should be more national guard, troops there.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Alot of the looting video I have seen has been from a grocery store. Yeah, it could be people just being cheapskates but who knows when food will be able to be shipped in to that area? As bad as it is, it seems to be more of a "I need food and water" and less of an LA riots type situation.

The video coming in from Mississippi is unbelievable. They are saying the storm surge went a mile inland, which I think is further than the tsunami went into. And whole neighborhoods, towns!, are just gone. You can see foundations and that's it. It reminded me alot of the 9/11 destruction. The only difference was that there was alot of death and destruction but it was centrally located. Lower Manhattan was a mess but you could still live in NYC. This is just....there is nothing to go live in. It's not a job that's gone...it's a job and a house and a car and a grocery store and a post office and on and on.
you're centainly right on that my fellow Nyc er
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I realize that these people have been through hell, but what in the world would cause them to do this:

NEW ORLEANS --The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were fired at a military helicopter, an ambulance official overseeing the operation said. No immediate injuries were reported.

First of all- rand it's NOT "them" it's some crazed-out people!!!

There's no excuse really for that kind of threatening behavoir , but hey let's ditch the blanket term "them", huh, ok?!?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

randhail is not a member of said group of people currently in New Orleans and shooting at rescue helicopters.

When one is referring to another group of people, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to that group as "them".

I can't understand what you're furious about. It's not like he was insinuating that every single person in NOLA is doing this.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

gun toting patriots?

my understanding is that it's precisely the presence of so many guns that's making it impossible for the National Guard and FEMA to gain control of the city. they cannot have their rescue workers gunned down.
The reason that the NG and FEMA has taken so long to get ihn is because the Feds did not order what is {if i heard the person on the radio from 2 commentaries correctly} known as pre-paredness operations.......

meaning.....

convoy trucks/ buses would have been brought closer to Down South but outside of the- as best as possible projected H-track perimeters would permit- staging areaS. Same with at least a few Navy boats & hospital ships to start with. And many more helicopters and perhaps ?? C-140's? {massive size planes that carry just about any --- they can carry a bunch of tanks at one clip.

I might get cut off of my sesion so i sending this part now
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't understand a word of that...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I don't blame you guys, I'd be the same way. Talk about stress...

So glad to hear you're all right, verte . Good to have you back .

...wow, that's a strange thought, New Orleans not being on the map anymore...I don't know. I don't know what they'll do with that city. I would hate to be the person in charge of making decisions about that city right now .

Angela

welcome back verte!

We in NyC experienced this tempoarily after 9-11 on an internal city map way......

As much as I am a NYC'r who needs to take the subway much of the time, I'm a bit of a subway-buff....so i've been looking at the subway maps for a few decades....as they undergone changes in the map design it self, along with changes in the name of the trains the colors ogf the routes etc...BUT....

.....there i was a couple of weeks after 9-11 when they issued the latest Subway map and 2 or 3 whole sections of route-lines/ several stops were 'gone' from their perenial places of close to 100 yrs sihnce being put into place!

At that point there was no there--there!
Those stations had be partly pierced/smashed up by mahattan rock or building pieces thus rendered unsaeable for a few months or more {one station eight inside the complex has yet to be restored}.

I really had versceral shock on seeing that.

And sure would be the same if something like that would happen to NwOrl.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
I didn't understand a word of that...

A lot of physical vehicals {to haul food/water/ various other disaster supplies and rescue take people out of the area } by land, or air and sea could have been the projected path of HK was....... as what's called Pre-prerparedness Operations for a coming disater. Including also Hospital ships..... it's a staging area.

Then qwhen the Federal "go ahead" signal had been made ---these things etc would have been hours or weven days closer to the afflicted area.

some one one radio said that was done for No carlina & hr Floyd