MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One storm could end up costing almost as much as two wars. Although estimates of Hurricane Katrina's staggering toll on the treasury are highly imprecise, costs are certain to climb to $200 billion in the coming weeks. The final accounting could approach the more than $300 billion spent in four years to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.

This photo shows a posted drawing by Jaleel, a nine-year-old refugee from New Orleans who survived Hurricane Katrina and now lives in the Astrodome in Houston, Texas Monday, Sept. 12, 2005. A number of children have taken part in Katrina Kids Project that encourages youngsters to draw their experience of the killer storm.

capt.txlm11109122325.katrina_refugees_txlm111.jpg

I get Time magazine but haven't seen this week's issue yet. It should come today, then I'll look at the pix. I agree, it's important to look at them to see what's going on.

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/12/D8CITNFG0.html

"About 8,000 people with HIV and AIDS who were displaced by Hurricane

Katrina now face the massive challenge of trying to manage their disease without their doctors, their clinics and their support systems. "

Oh, geez...that's so awful. Haven't those people suffered enough? Good god...*Shakes head*.

Hopefully they'll be able to find a way to get the treatment they need.

And that picture that little boy drew...:(.

therulz said:
I just wanted to add a personal note to those that are helping with the relief efforts to the hurricaine victims.

Bless you.

My little sister, her husband and three daughters lost everything.
Her mother (my dad's second wife) lost everything. They were right on the edge of the gulf.
They all got out safely before it hit their homes.
They are all safe and in communities that have banded together to take care of the people that were displaced by the storm. Since I am so far away I am grateful to those that were there to help my family.

I'm so sorry to hear of your family's losses :(. But that's wonderful that they're all safe and sound and are sheltered somewhere, that there were people around to give them a hand :hug: :up:.

All the people who are helping out in this tragedy are godsends :yes:.

Angela

September 9, 2005, 12 p.m.: Officials Shooting Dogs in Louisiana—Feds Must Hear from You Today!

In the latest and most graphic display of our government's abandonment of animal-handling guidelines in disasters that were created with PETA's help years ago, some law enforcement agencies are now shooting dogs left stranded in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

Revolting video footage posted on the Web site of the Dallas Morning News shows officers shooting dogs. At least one of their victims survived the gunshots and was apparently left to die a slow, agonizing death amid debris from the storm.

Of course, shooting is not an approved, reasonable, or reliable method of animal control. In fact, The 2000 Report of the AVMA [American Veterinary Medical Association] Panel on Euthanasia—the veterinary medical authority on euthanasia—states, "[G]unshot should not be used for routine euthanasia of animals in animal control situations." This dangerous method often fails to achieve instantaneous unconsciousness; animals can be injured by initial gunshots and suffer tremendously before dying, as seems to be happening in St. Bernard Parish. Gunshot is also categorized as an inhumane method of killing in The Humane Society of the United States' "General Statement Regarding Euthanasia Methods for Dogs and Cats."

This horror for animals, which is but the latest of many to be seen in Katrina's wake, underscores the urgent need for you to call on those in charge, today, to end immediately their callous policies toward animals suffering and to make the plight of animals affected by these disasters a part of planned investigations and hearings.

:sad:

Scarletwine said:
September 9, 2005, 12 p.m.: Officials Shooting Dogs in Louisiana—Feds Must Hear from You Today!

In the latest and most graphic display of our government's abandonment of animal-handling guidelines in disasters that were created with PETA's help years ago, some law enforcement agencies are now shooting dogs left stranded in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

Again, I agree with your disgust and outrage over what is reported in this article, but what do the "Feds" have to do with it? This is apparently being done by law enforcement agencies in St. Bernard Parish. Are the "Feds" being implicated because we aren't supposed to blame "the locals"?

~U2Alabama

If the local was a bush family member and not a female governor....the response would be different.

If the local was a Bush family member and not a black mayor....

The response would be different.

Pooooooooooooooooooooooooor Bush :sad:

People treat him so unfair
I am so sorry for this noble man
He´s the biggest victim of Katrina
and its not right they treat him like this, no, no

:sad: :sad:

An ajar coffin from Greenwood Cemetery lies along railroad tracks in New Orleans on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005. Floodwaters have wreaked havoc with cemeteries in the area because deceased are interred above ground.

capt.lacs11109142118.hurricane_katrina_lacs111.jpg

In this photo released by FEMA, rescue workers transport a 71-year-old resident who was rescued by members of the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue, California Task Force 3, Friday, Sept. 16, 2005, in New Orleans. The man survived in his attic for 18 days with just a gallon of water.

capt.wxs11309170145.katrina_new_orleans_wxs113.jpg

A casket marked with the name Delores Belmonte came to rest at the doors of St. Bernard Catholic Church in St.Bernard, La. Friday Sept. 16, 2005. The flood waters of Hurricane Katrina caused some caskets to float out of their tombs

capt.lawh10909162035.hurricane_katrina_lawh109.jpg

The wheel chair with a slipper still on the footrest sits in the mud left behind by Hurricane Katrina at St. Rita's Nursing home in St. Bernard, La. Thirty four people died while waiting to be rescued from the floodwaters

capt.2091613au.jpg

So the nursing home, NOT any local state of Federal official, gets charged with the deaths.

Has it ever occurred to you Republicans that the local Dems in the area might be just as scared of an independent comission, 9/11 style, to investigate the response, as Bush is? Having an truly independent Comission to investigte (as opposed to "bipartisan" "inquiry" Congressioanl sham that Bush wants is a farce. Wihtout the public knowing the real truth, locals can't be prosecuted either. They're hiding too.

Oh...I forgot, I was the one who started this thread....*sigh*. I just read the whole thing...haven't been online for a few days.

Here's another hero story....I posted it else where but with an angry statement as well...

a REAL heart-warmer.

The Story of Steve

http://www.comebackalive.com/phpBB2...e politcal rivals, we are fellow historians:)

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
So the nursing home, NOT any local state of Federal official, gets charged with the deaths.

Has it ever occurred to you Republicans that the local Dems in the area might be just as scared of an independent comission, 9/11 style, to investigate the response, as Bush is? Having an truly independent Comission to investigte (as opposed to "bipartisan" "inquiry" Congressioanl sham that Bush wants is a farce. Wihtout the public knowing the real truth, locals can't be prosecuted either. They're hiding too.

I think the nursing home and the state and local should be open for suing.

And yes.....I am willing to stake my life there is plenty of CYA on both sides of the aisle.

DEATH BY BEUROCRACY

Teta040 said:

And PS..Dreadsox if you haven't seen the other thread....I'm going to be in yr neck of the woods on Teus, Oct 4, I have GA's to the Fleet that night. Any chance of you and the Mrs dropping by the GA line? Are you going that night? I'd love to meet a fellwo FYM'er...even if we are politcal rivals, we are fellow historians:)

I am not in the GA's and will most likely be arriving during the opening act due to school responsibilities..

EMail me...dreadsox @aol.com

Sure thing Dread....check yr email tomorrow. (Monday). I'm off to church and won't be online the rest of the day....

When I'm exhausted I make a lot of typos. I didn't even edit that...sorry:wink:

My mail is Spindle40@hotmail.com

Teta040 said:
There is more than enough blame to go around on every level of government from Bush on down, but the more I see New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin on TV the more I think the guy is a sleazeball and a total political hack. I'm not from the south and I'd never heard of the guy before Katrina so I'm basing my opinion on the media coverage. From that media coverage here are the basics:

- On 8/27 Nagin issued a state of emergency for New Orleans (this came a full day after Gov. Blanco had issued a state of emergency for all of Louisiana and several hours after Pres. Bush had done the same) and he issued a voluntary evacuation. He did not yet issue a mandatory evacuation because he was having his legal team determine if he could order a mandatory evacuation without exposing the city to legal liability for the closure of hotels and other businesses.

- On 8/28 he ordered a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans but, other than making that announcement, he didn't take any real steps to assist those who did not have a way or means to evacuate the city (such as using the city school buses). Instead he relied on people to get out on their own or to get to the 'safe' shelters.

- On a radio broadcast a few days after Katrina, Nagin issues a cursing, screaming plea for help from federal officials. He also states that the death toll could reach 10,000 which appears to be nothing more than a guess on his part, but it is immediately reported as an official estimate.

- The week following Katrina, the military moves in and takes charge of the relief and recovery efforts. This appears to please Nagin who heaps praise on the man in charge of the military, Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, as a man who can "get some stuff done".

- Later in the week Nagin states that people refusing to leave their homes will no longer be given food and water and will be forcibly evacuated. This apparently comes as a surprise to Gen. Honore who says that his troops will not refuse to give food and water and that if the mayor wants forced evacuations then the New Orleans police will have to do it.

- Last weekend Nagin left New Orleans for several days to go to Dallas where he set his family up in a home and enrolled his kids in school there. There's nothing wrong with him being concerned for his own family, but this came as people were still being rescued from 'his' city and as news reports were surfacing about the horrific deaths at nursing homes and hospitals which were not evacuated before the storm.

- Upon his return to New Orleans Nagin had completely changed his tune from his earlier statements of forcible evacuations and now cheerfully stated that parts of the city were ready to be re-opened and that nearly 200,000 people would be returning within a couple of weeks. This apparently comes as a surprise to the man in charge of Katrina relief efforts, Coast Guard Vice Admiral Thad Allen, who states that Nagin's plan is 'problematic'.

From these media reports, this is the impression I have gotten of Nagin - before the storm he was more concerned about businesses and the tourism industry than he was about his citizens; before, during, and after the storm he was completely overwhelmed and had no clue how to go about the task placed before him; after the military has cleaned up the mess, he is now back to being more concerned about businesses and tourism which is why he is so anxious to get parts of the city re-opened. Am I wrong? Is this guy not the sleazeball I think he is?

Last edited:
See today's NY Times. Apparently the Mayor is not suffering--he has emerged as a "local folk hero." Blanco seems to be the least popular--just as I predicted.

NO is apparently a city of contrasts--it has a small but VERY powerful tax base of white business owners and the majority are black and poor. You can't win an elction without getting the white community on your side and as a black candidate, he had to work extra hard to court them. He won by a narrow majority, the white voters swung it. Since then, he's been senitive to the white business element. Not that I'm sticking up for him or anything. But NO has been famous for centuries for its spectacular local corruption. I am learnijng so much....there's only so much one can do there without being sucked into the Machine. Lucky he was a politcal novice, I suppose, or he'd be even more corrupt.

PS there is report in today's Times about Deja Vu, a Strip club still open in the French Quarter. The NY Times reporter dutifully listed the prices at the club (including the $10 for a "couch dance" upstairs). Wonder if he paid for one?

Can you see the Baton Rouge NY TImes Bureau everyone at the serious NY TImes fighting to get this story. How much actual "reporting" was being done is up to debate....:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom