MERGED-->The Pope insults Islam + Turkish official compares Pope...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benedict quoted from a book recounting a conversation between 14th century Byzantine Christian Emperor Manuel Paleologos II and a Persian scholar on the truths of Christianity and Islam.

“The emperor comes to speak about the issue of jihad, holy war,” the pope said. “He said, I quote, ’Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.”’

Benedict did not explicitly agree with the statement nor repudiate it.

“Benedict, the author of such unfortunate and insolent remarks, is going down in history for his words,” he said. “He is going down in history in the same category as leaders such as (Adolf) Hitler and (Benito) Mussolini.”

Mmmm....

I wouldn't exactly expect the pope to be a religious relativist.

Last edited:
That COexitst message will take along time to be in affect. If you go to highschool African americans stick with there own, asians with there own etc... So how can we co-exist if the kids can't and to talk about nations and races with hundreds of years of hatred towards each other.

Re: The pope insults Islam great more bloody crying!

Justin24 said:

Shouldn't they be doing something better like condemming and stopping these insurgents from torturing and killing there own people in Iraq everyday?

Good point.

Re: Re: The pope insults Islam great more bloody crying!

AEON said:

Good point.

What Muslims can only complain about other Muslims?:rolleyes:

But you have the privelage of complaining about everything?

I can't believe some of you...

"The late Pope John Paul II spent over 25 years to build bridges and links with the Muslim community. He showed the world that its perception of Islam was false and that we are peace-loving people.

"The Ramadhan Foundation is disappointed that the current Pope has not followed the example of his predecessor; it is essential in today's world that we link together and encourage a wider understanding of our different faiths, celebrating our religious differences is essential in a ever expanding world."

Re: The pope insults Islam great more bloody crying!

Justin24 said:

Shouldn't they be doing something better like condemming and stopping these insurgents from torturing and killing there own people in Iraq everyday?

While this may be true, what gives anyone the right to essentially call Muslims, "things only evil and inhuman?"

What would you think if a Muslim cleric called Catholics "evil and inhuman?"

Last edited:
What gives the right for clerics to call us the Great Satan or infidels? They complain and kill for every little God Damn Thing. Pre-schoolers

MrsSpringsteen said:

"The Ramadhan Foundation is disappointed that the current Pope has not followed the example of his predecessor; it is essential in today's world that we link together and encourage a wider understanding of our different faiths, celebrating our religious differences is essential in a ever expanding world."

It does not seem that most muslims in these countries want to bridge the religons together.

Justin24 said:
What gives the right for clerics to call us the Great Satan or infidels? They complain and kill for every little God Damn Thing. Pre-schoolers

They don't have that right. And neither does the Pope.

And Christians have never persecuted/killed/tortured Muslims

*cough*gitmo*cough*crusades*cough*

:rolleyes:

I never said we were innocent. But the biggest persecutors are there own people. They need to evolve as a religon and stop taking everything so personally as do the baptist, mormon's catholics etc.

JessicaAnn said:

They don't have that right. And neither does the Pope.

And Christians have never persecuted/killed/tortured Muslims

*cough*gitmo*cough*crusades*cough*

:rolleyes:

*coug*expansion of Ottoman empire*cough* *cough* *wtc* *cough* *olympics bombing* *cough* *wipe Israel off face of Earth* *cough* *cough*

verte76 said:
What right does the Pope have to say these things about Muslims?

he was quoting. He repeatedly said "I quote". Perhaps that was lost on some people.

No. This Pope is alot like his predecessor in this and in many other ways. I'm not exactly shocked. He's a very conservative Pope. As for those countries, well, they aren't reaching out to him, and this makes it terribly unlikely that he'll do anything like that in the near future.

Why should they be mad at the pope when he was quoting someone from the Byzantine Empire. And why can't we really see the state of the middle east as an out of control region where extremist muslim groups are trying to become the ruling leaders of the land and impose ancient forms of islam that are then twisted around.

Why would anyone want to deal with a fucked up region anyways. Were a cartoon will lead to riots and deaths. People calling for the death of the person who drew the cartoon and refuse to change.

Maybe Turkey is not as bad as the rest of the islamic world.

Justin, you're really not giving anyone who wants to debate the issue constructively much to work with here, at all. And your generalizations about "fucked up regions" and "pre-schoolers who complain and kill for every little God Damn Thing" are quite frankly crossing the appropriateness line.

How would the Chrisitan community react if an Imam said such a thing?? We would probably brush it off. Can someone explain to me why they have to create such a hoopla?

popeeffigy_700x405.jpg

ap_protest2_060915_nr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks yolland. I'm having a challenged day, to say the least. This Pope doesn't have his predessor's personality. But no, he's not reaching out to the Muslims in these countries. He's scheduled to go to Turkey in November. If he wants them to be receptive to his message he needs to change his tune.

The niples off janet and a gay spongebob ? I remember also something about sinead oconner tearing a picture of the pope, what a negative reactions she got. O, and the latest, Madonna on the cross at the new worldtour,...some christians wanted to forbid that trough a court order.

He was quoting, and I doubt he was saying it to all muslims but the extremists. The ones who need to change there tune is everyone of islamic faith. They over react.

Rono said:
The niples off janet and a gay spongebob ? I remember also something about sinead oconner tearing a picture of the pope, what a negative reations she got. O, and the latest, Madonna on the cross at the new worldtour,...some christians wanted to forbid that trough a court order.

But at least they didn't threaten to kill.

^
^

BVS, I agree with you on this. I'm not really sure what he was trying to accomplish. I do agree with him (that Islam teaches convert or die), but this pope doesn't seem like the type of leader to "agitate" the Muslim world the way he is going.

The story is indeed a strange one.

Back
Top Bottom