MERGED-->The Pope insults Islam + Turkish official compares Pope... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
^
^

I do agree with him (that Islam teaches convert or die),
A class, high school history, or maybe just a Muslim friend wouldn't hurt either one of you.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:30 PM
i really wish we had some Muslims in FYM.

i really do.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
The niples off janet and a gay spongebob ? I remember also something about sinead oconner tearing a picture of the pope, what a negative reactions she got. O, and the latest, Madonna on the cross at the new worldtour,...some christians wanted to forbid that trough a court order.
The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc. I'm well aware that not Muslims are like this, but this is a pretty vocal minority and gives a lot of people a negative impression of the entire religion. They want people to understand them and be open, well first try to not go off the deep at when someone says something offensive.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc.
Excuse me! There are still book and cd burnings here all the time, the last one I remember was Eminem. By who? Conservative Christians...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 AM
The Wahhabists teach that Muslims teach either convert or die, not your average Joe Q. Muslim. The Turks I recently met certainly weren't teaching any such a thing. Many anti-Wahhabist books have been published in Istanbul. I'm having a challenged day, to say the least. I just quit that class I had a test in because I bombed the damn thing. Anyway, this is an interesting thread today because the of the pope's comment. I wish he hadn't made the comments, but now we have to live with them.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i really wish we had some Muslims in FYM.

i really do.
I do to. But honestly, would you like to be Muslim and post in here? The one somewhat regular poster we did have doesn't post anymore, and I don't blame her.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Excuse me! There are still book and cd burnings here all the time, the last one I remember was Eminem. By who? Conservative Christians...
Fair point, but when that happens the christians tend to be ridiculed for it - those crazy conservative christians need to lighten up, but when you ridicule the muslims for doing the same, everyone takes offense to it and crys "you don't understand them, not all muslims are crazy whackjobs." The double standard that exists is disgusting.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Is spongebob really gay?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc. I'm well aware that not Muslims are like this, but this is a pretty vocal minority and gives a lot of people a negative impression of the entire religion. They want people to understand them and be open, well first try to not go off the deep at when someone says something offensive.

in this country, Christians do burn things and condemn people and boycott, but all that's legal. so that's fine. they can be insane for all i care. you're right in that it is a difference in degree -- we don't have Christians issuing fatwahs (and i'll even set aside those who shoot doctors and bomb family planning clinics, just to be nice).

it's interesting, though. in this country, i fear "crazy Christians" much more than i do radical Muslims since they can do more direct harm to me in this country than any jihadist could (despite the fact that i live in a well-known terrorst target city).

however, i'd say the differences of reactions have less to do with the religions themselves, and much more to do with the societal stability of these countries. there's potential for horrible violence in Christianity, as there is with Islam, and vice versa.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Is spongebob really gay?

yes.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

however, i'd say the differences of reactions have less to do with the religions themselves, and much more to do with the societal stability of these countries. there's potential for horrible violence in Christianity, as there is with Islam, and vice versa.
I would definitely agree with you.

I guess my issue is how closely the religion is tied into the government. Very rarely do you hear of a government coming out and condemning said overreaction - which in my mind is condoning the actions. If the goal of a muslim state is to accepted by the world, they have to realize that most of the world thinks that people taking to the streets causing chaos is not the best way to go about dealing with things. It will only serve to discourage people from understanding or even willing to understand Islam, muslims.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What needs to happen is there needs to be a huge change in all religions people of no-faith, or different faiths should come together and really interpret the Koran, bible, etc.. and then preach it to the masses of followers, as I see it.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
What needs to happen is there needs to be a huge change in all religions people of no-faith, or different faiths should come together and really interpret the Koran, bible, etc.. and then preach it to the masses of followers, as I see it.
Until that happens(don't hold your breath) we should educate ourselves. Never wait for someone else to do it for you.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

But here is the thing. I was raised Catholic. But I have not attended church. I love the line from Imagine by John Lennon where he sang "Imagine a world with no religion" Isn't that a better solution? To have no christianity, Islam, Jewdisam, Buhddism, etc..

Then we would not burn effigys, call for Jihads or crusades etc...
Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Fair point, but when that happens the christians tend to be ridiculed for it - those crazy conservative christians need to lighten up, but when you ridicule the muslims for doing the same, everyone takes offense to it and crys "you don't understand them, not all muslims are crazy whackjobs." The double standard that exists is disgusting.

i think it's more (at least on my part) that the "crazy Christians" live in the US and should know better and generally have good lives free from oppression and violence, whereas i can understand (though not excuse) the radicalism that gets infused into a religion when living in extreme, harsh circumstance.

however, many in here, including myself, fully supported the Danish cartoonists. and Slaman Rushdie. and think anyone who's going to kill someone else over defamation of religion really needs to get a life because it's freaking RELIGION!

sheesh. it's not like anyone actually knows.