MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
"I don't make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans," he said.

what an idiot.

it is predicatable that a certain percentage of people will not leave. whether it is by choice or by circumstance.

it is the responsibility of a government to look after its citizens in such cases. as melon has documented, governments, especially the american ones, have, over recent history, been purposefully extricating themselves from american lives. in some cases this has been good and in others it has been, evidently, catastrophic.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
This is an administration which had Congress fly back in the dead of night to try and keep alive a corpse and a President who joined them. Do you remember all the hullaballoo about how it's inhumane to have her dehydrated? Where is the outrage now?

I just don't get it. The Canadian government has offered aid and our military. If Bush isn't going to get his act together then let other people willing to help step in. Because this looks ridiculous. I'm ashamed it's allowed to happen on our continent at all!

Old 09-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
This is an administration which had Congress fly back in the dead of night to try and keep alive a corpse and a President who joined them. Do you remember all the hullaballoo about how it's inhumane to have her dehydrated? Where is the outrage now?

I just don't get it. The Canadian government has offered aid and our military. If Bush isn't going to get his act together then let other people willing to help step in. Because this looks ridiculous. I'm ashamed it's allowed to happen on our continent at all!

i didn't vote for the asshole.

i demand accountability from those that did.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #79
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Amen.

It's somehow less inhumane that THOUSANDS of people are dying of starvation and dehydration?

Get on this, Bush administration.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Irvine, I would too.

I would also demand an explanation from the 41% who think he's still doing a good job. What planet are they currently inhabiting?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #81
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
How are people not in the streets screaming bloody murder? Your president eats cake, your vice president is sun tanning and your secretary of defense is buying Manolos.

We in the rest of the world just truly do not understand this mentality at all.
Don't worry, it's not just the rest of the world, it's the American people as well.

As for the evacuation quote, I do get upset seeing these people that didn't evacuate when they should have...oh, we'll ride it out even though they told us to leave. But there are people that simply don't have cars, people that don't have money to pay for gas or hotels [and this was before gas got bad]. Do you notice anything about the people in the Superdome convoy? Do you notice how they are all black and poor? Last time I checked that wasn't the stereotypical person voting for Bush.

Too bad his brother isn't governor of LA or they would have gotten help much sooner. Four hurricanes through FLA last year and you never saw this kind of problem. Response was immediate.

The New Orleans mayor said it best: the federal government needs to "get of their asses" and do something.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #82
Acrobat

For those of you who are not American:
Although we are one big piece of land called the USA. Our country is comprised of "States" making up the larger country. Each state is self governing. They have their own unique set of laws, customs, even evacuation plans or lack there of.
The federal government---George Bush---is now following up on the lack of preparedness on the part of these states to evacuate the folks who did not have the means to get out. (the poor).
This lack of coordination was a problem on a State level.
The responsibility to move people out has now BECOME a Federal problem and thankfully help is getting in to come to the aid of our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters in need!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So now we are going to politicize natural disasters....

Disappointing to say the least.
Dreadsox, I'm curious if you still feel this way given our administration's absolutely ridiculous handling of this...

I don't recall ever being more disappointed in any politician than I have been this week.

This is inexcusable.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Just watched the press conference......

The General said that the places where the levy broke were NOT ever going to be upgraded even IF the Federal funds had been approved or not slashed.

Have fun politicizing this whole thing....I will be back when there are other assumptions that are being used incorrectly to fit your adjenda.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 AM   #85
War Child

Trent Lott will rebuild, better than ever!!

I couldn't stand it...had to run somewhere and lay it down!

Dubya listens to the guys telling of the disaster at the Katrina survey briefing press deal this morning, shakes his head impatiently at the assessments and descriptions, looking at his feet chewing his lip, then starts to speak, presumably without much script for a change and fresh from his break on his acres, and tells us all how....how....

Trent Lott, who lost his house in the storm, *will* rebuild, and he will build a new fabulous house, better than before, and so will be the case for all of New Orleans (will the housing projects get better too, or the rinky-dink places so many other citizens of Louisiana rent and own?)....we will rebuild New Orleans.

It was sooo striking how the real disaster was the loss of the fine mansions, the carefully chosen decor, the grand lawns. Yes, he made some statement about how first off we need to get food and water to people, but the very next thing out of his mouth was this compassion for trent's loss, and the optimism that we will persevere and keep on keeping on with the fine large homes and shopping. Fight the terrorists, keep on shopping! Fight the forces of nature, invest in construction companies and don't forget all the new kitchen counters we'll need to make!

New Orleans itself, city I'd only been to once but found utterly intriguing, so reflects the issues here, vanities and ambitions and struggling to find some meaning under all the surface indulgences. And huge class and race issues of course. To me, Bush's words reflected how for him, the surface indulgences of his cronies *is* the meaning, or at least the first and foremost concern, despite his looking into the face of all that deep despair and loss. But then he really was avoiding eye contact, so maybe he just doesn't see it. I missed the later part of his statements, so maybe he redeemed himself and came up with something beyond the 'expectation of law and order' comments, something that touchs on the souls of those lost, on the human condition generally, something that goes beyond property rights. What a monumental (so many have said this devastation is of biblical proportions, and for a man who allegedly sees himself in such terms, it's sort of scary to see his response today) opportunity he missed to say something healing and inspiring...does anyone think he shed a tear about all this? Or at least felt bad about how apparently crappy the preparations were for a storm that everyone was waiting for?

I want a new president so badly it makes me cringe to hear this man speak...

whew...there...I feel better now!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BorderGirl
For those of you who are not American:
Although we are one big piece of land called the USA. Our country is comprised of "States" making up the larger country. Each state is self governing. They have their own unique set of laws, customs, even evacuation plans or lack there of.
The federal government---George Bush---is now following up on the lack of preparedness on the part of these states to evacuate the folks who did not have the means to get out. (the poor).
This lack of coordination was a problem on a State level.
The responsibility to move people out has now BECOME a Federal problem and thankfully help is getting in to come to the aid of our Gulf Coast brothers and sisters in need!
Are you kidding me? This was a federal issue the moment it was declared a disaster area, and that happened the day the hurricane hit! It has been the federal government's responsibility since then!

And I suggest you read up on the lack of preparedness, because our federal government was involved in terms of how much money was given to build those levees, which couldn't withstand a storm of this magnitude. With all the resources we use in places like Iraq, a little more money to make sure the levees can hold up to a Category 5 storm is not asking that much.

It's like the Titanic. They build a ship that holds a specific amount of people, but don't carry enough rescue boats for them in the event of an emergency. Only here, we build levees to protect New Orleans, but no, let's not make them strong enough to hold up against the strongest storms - let's only go half way.

Pathetic.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Just watched the press conference......

The General said that the places where the levy broke were NOT ever going to be upgraded even IF the Federal funds had been approved or not slashed.

Have fun politicizing this whole thing....I will be back when there are other assumptions that are being used incorrectly to fit your adjenda.
I usually agree with you on several subjects, but on this, you disappoint me tremendously. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Dreadsox, I'm curious if you still feel this way given our administration's absolutely ridiculous handling of this...

I don't recall ever being more disappointed in any politician than I have been this week.

This is inexcusable.
I never said I was happy with it. But I think the politicization in this thread is beyond people being happy or unhappy.

But, I think there is an ocean of sharks in this thread looking to take advantage of the situation.

My relatives in NO were just bussed out yesterday. My wife's Uncle says he was not aware of how bad the situation was, and he was in Downtown NO.

The comparisons to the other hurricanes are redicluous in my opinion. They are not even close to similar situations with the city being below sea level.

If you can show me a satellite image of any other hurricane that has left the flooding that is in the images I have seen, then we can talk. There is no more devastating storm than we have seen this week.

And give me a break with the Jeb Bush comments.

Seriously, I just spent my week organizing some relief from my Lion's Club, My church, and my school......I do not have patience for this.

I am surprized that people hate him so much that they are making incorrect assumptions as mentioned in my prior post.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #89
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Are you kidding me? This was a federal issue the moment it was declared a disaster area, and that happened the day the hurricane hit! It has been the federal government's responsibility since then!

And I suggest you read up on the lack of preparedness, because our federal government was involved in terms of how much money was given to build those levees, which couldn't withstand a storm of this magnitude. With all the resources we use in places like Iraq, a little more money to make sure the levees can hold up to a Category 5 storm is not asking that much.

It's like the Titanic. They build a ship that holds a specific amount of people, but don't carry enough rescue boats for them in the event of an emergency. Only here, we build levees to protect New Orleans, but no, let's not make them strong enough to hold up against the strongest storms - let's only go half way.

Pathetic.
I was referring to the State Evacuation Plan. You know the mandatory one that was issued days in advance.
Of course it is in the hands of the feds as soon as it is declared a disaster area. duh!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

One has to wonder how the absence of a significant amount of the National Guard (away fighting in Iraq) both personnel and vehicles/equipment affected the state and local response.