MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:39 AM
That's okay .

Stupid newspaper .

Old 09-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It is sad that you make assumptions about how I feel. You can claim we should have done this or that until you are blue in the face. But it won't help one person in the Gulf Coast area today.

I'd say most of us here don't know the complexity of coordinating all the relief efforts, yet we are abundantly blessed with the gift of criticism.
And it will help more by not saying anything at all?

I don't find it too complex to get simple supplies to people within a day of a major disaster such as this. You act immediately and quickly. Unfortunately, things didn't go that way, and that is very upsetting. Society demands answers for these serious miscalculations.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I don't find it too complex to get simple supplies to people within a day of a major disaster such as this. You act immediately and quickly. Unfortunately, things didn't go that way, and that is very upsetting. Society demands answers for these serious miscalculations.

Phanan, in a bunch of previous Hurricane situations in the 90's....what i've heard is about Floyd and Georges.......and one other...{don't remember name] there was what is called pre-postioning.

that means vehicals, supplies of various types { for this amphibious/or high-wayer vehicals} would be brought closer to the area of the Hurricane's path- with leeway in case tghe stiorm changes direction-- so that once it has hit and left, alot of basic necessity supplies [water, food, medicines and perhaps specialized physical gear for recuers and emergeny repairs would also be there or soon after] would be Soooo much closer to arrive.

The feds sent a hospital ship down from Baltimore..... do you know wehen it left???

THis past Fri! utter shame!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:39 AM

If I see that smart-assed Michael Moore letter again, I'm going to repeatedly start posting photos of U.S. military helicopters performing rescue operations, and I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.
Uncle!

Frankly, I found MM's letter to be rather pedestrian.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
If I see that smart-assed Michael Moore letter again, I'm going to repeatedly start posting photos of U.S. military helicopters performing rescue operations, and I'll post them more frequently than sting2 posts about the U.N. Security Council resolutions.

~U2Alabama
Yeah. I like some of MMs flics but this "opened letter" was so predictable.

I think the U.S. Navy is the only national body that hasn´t totally failed in this rescue operation.

Good things are being said about Gen. Honore. They should have started the heli rescue thing 2 or 3 days earlier, but I can see how difficult it must have been to get the ships there. Still, it´s so saddening that for many a thousand simple American citizens it is too late.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight

The feds sent a hospital ship down from Baltimore..... do you know wehen it left???

THis past Fri! utter shame!
The floating hospital COMFORT sits dockside in Baltimore and typically takes 5 days to be prepared to be deployed. It was activated Wednesday, and was being expedited to be ready to leave for the Gulf Coast on Saturday (which would have been 4 days). If in fact it left on Friday, that was actually 3 days, which is 2 days quicker than typical prep time:

Quote:
BALTIMORE -- The U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), based here, was activated Aug. 31 in support of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) efforts to provide medical support in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
Comfort, one of the largest trauma facilities in the United States, is being readied quickly for her mission and is expected to get underway for the Gulf Coast by September 3.

Comfort is normally kept at Baltimore's Canton Pier in reduced operating status with a cadre crew of 18 civil service mariners who maintain the vessel, as well as a hospital support staff of 58 military personnel who care for the ship’s hospital facilities, equipment and supplies. When called to action, the ship is designed to be activated, crewed, mission-ready and able to sail in five days.
~U2Alabama
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #293
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

They should have started the heli rescue thing 2 or 3 days earlier, but I can see how difficult it must have been to get the ships there. Still, it´s so saddening that for many a thousand simple American citizens it is too late.
The hurricane hit on Monday morning; the levee breaks occurred on Tuesday, and the major flooding int he bowl began thereafter. The helicopter rescues began on Tuesday.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

The hurricane hit on Monday morning; the levee breaks occurred on Tuesday, and the major flooding int he bowl began thereafter. The helicopter rescues began on Tuesday.

~U2Alabama
Yes, but for the big heli rescue operation they had to wait until Saturday 3rd October if I´m not mistaken. There were a few helis around in the previous days, but they were shot at etc. - the big operation - every 30 seconds a helicopter starting - , where they drop supplies at each and every roof, the big scale U.S. Navy operation started only on Saturday, according to my information. Which is natural because most of the ships, including the carriers, needed a couple of days to get there.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm not sure about a particular "big" operation, but I do know the Georgia National Guard sent 30 Chinook helicopters down on Tuesday or Wednesday. These were land based and would not have required a carrier. Coast Guard Stations Mobile, New Orleans and Houston all have permanent choppers stationed there and were in the immediate operations; I also saw Navy, Marine and Airforce PaveHawks and Army Blackhawks as early as Tuesday and Wednesday.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm not sure about a particular "big" operation,

~U2Alabama
Sure, like I said, there were some helis around before of Saturday, but I referred to the largest airlift in U.S. history. If this only could have been done on Tuesday or Wednesday instead of Saturday/ Sunday (when they had two runways).

edited to add: I just read that Operation Air Care was a civilian operation in cooperation with agencies.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Helicopters don't require runways. They utilize vertical takeoffs and landings, which I still believe they have been doing in the area since mid-week.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Helicopters don't require runways. They utilize vertical takeoffs and landings, which I still believe they have been doing in the area since mid-week.

~U2Alabama
Yes, indeed. My wrong. In the TV news over here (Central Europe) they produced the feature as if the major airlift yesterday had been organized mainly by the U.S. Navy and with helicopters. Apparently, it´s not like that.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #299
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
The floating hospital COMFORT sits dockside in Baltimore and typically takes 5 days to be prepared to be deployed. It was activated Wednesday, and was being expedited to be ready to leave for the Gulf Coast on Saturday (which would have been 4 days). If in fact it left on Friday, that was actually 3 days, which is 2 days quicker than typical prep time
With a category 5 (at the time) headed toward NO causing a mandatory evacuation on Sat, Aug 27th, why wasn't COMFORT prepping that very day in order to be deployed within 48 hours of the end of Katrina in the Gulf area????

Because....

Being very expensive to deploy and the chance that Katrina would either reduce in severity or veer off path (as many hurricanes in the past have done) COMFORT may not actually have been needed so SOMEONE decided to take that risk and gamble thousands of lives versus hundreds of thousands of dollars...and lost.

And ultimately, it's just part of a mired web that will let all those who are responsible for the failings of the aftermath off the hook.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:04 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Being very expensive to deploy and the chance that Katrina would either reduce in severity or veer off path (as many hurricanes in the past have done) COMFORT may not actually have been needed so SOMEONE decided to take that risk and gamble thousands of lives versus hundreds of thousands of dollars...and lost.

And ultimately, it's just part of a mired web that will let all those who are responsible for the failings of the aftermath off the hook.
Right; similar to how the local officials didn't head everyone without transportation out of NOLA on the schoolbuses.

If more people had evacuated prior to the hurricane making landfall and impacting NOLA, the need for COMFORT would not have been as imminent. Should COMFORT be deployed everytime a hurricane enters the Gulf? I heard nothing of it during Dennis when very few people were killed. And I'm asking honestly because you do bring up a good point. Maybe it should be standing by and prepared to deploy instantaneously any time a hurricane takes aim.

~U2Alabama