MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #166
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Is it possible to wait until the dust settles.

That's the problem. It seems that the government is finally getting into gear now that the media and people have been complaining. I'd hate to think what the response would be if we just waited and didn't say anything. I think the assigning blame is an emotional part of people saying, "What the hell is going on? This response is so inadequate, who came up with this plan. Are they going to help any more, are things going to get better? Who is going to help people?"

Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:

I had minor surgery this morning and the drugs are really knocking me through a loop....

if you mean my explination and anger at the buses being left in the lot......

that was not sarcastic.
Feel better soon, dread.
I'll leave the debating until you're feeling better.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #168
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

That's the problem. It seems that the government is finally getting into gear now that the media and people have been complaining. I'd hate to think what the response would be if we just waited and didn't say anything.

yes.

for Bush, this is about managing a potentially bad PR situation.

nothing more.

fuck him.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I had minor surgery this morning and the drugs are really knocking me through a loop....

ugh I hope you feel better .
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

I am fine...just sore...and when I woke up, I was not expecting to have anything done. I am glad I did though.....

And I think I will leave the debating alone. I am going back to praying.

I am trying to get $$$ out of my lions club to send. We managed almost $2000 for the TSUNAMI.

Peace Everyone.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #171
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

a man who explodes government spending but can't run a war or organize basic civil defense is simply an incompetent buffoon. if this were a parliamentary system, we'd have a vote of no confidence. instead we have three years of more peril.

this is a failure of government. and the Bush administration. big time.

I'll borrow a page from Viggo Mortensen's book and say that we should write our representatives and ask that impeachment proceedings be initiated.

I say we give that vote of no confidence in the way open to us.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #172
Blue Crack Supplier

Bush is on TV right now.

"This is a storm that is going to require immediate action now."

Right immediate action, 4 days later .
Old 09-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #173
New Yorker

For those of you posted the Newt quote earlier, I completely agree and I think that may be why I'm getting so bitter. I watched my city reduced to ruins on 9/11 and thought hopefully something good would come out of it. The government would be better prepared next time. The 9/11 Commission would recommend ways to make things better so we would be prepared for a disaster.

Now, it seems those 3000 lives in NYC, Penn. and DC were lost in vain. This, if anything, is the perfect example of things not being learned from the past.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

I really do wonder how much socioeconomics play a role here.

If there was a major earthquake and half of Malibu sank into the Pacific, I can't help thinking we'd see Dick Cheney himself paddling out there to save Angelina Jolie.

If I were the people in NO, I would surely feel like I'm expendable.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
For those of you posted the Newt quote earlier, I completely agree and I think that may be why I'm getting so bitter. I watched my city reduced to ruins on 9/11 and thought hopefully something good would come out of it. The government would be better prepared next time. The 9/11 Commission would recommend ways to make things better so we would be prepared for a disaster.

Now, it seems those 3000 lives in NYC, Penn. and DC were lost in vain. This, if anything, is the perfect example of things not being learned from the past.
I was on the 9 train under 34th street at 9:00AM on September 11th, 2001. That day was complete hell, and I was a mile away from the Trade Centers. I walked from 16th Street to Riverdale in the Bronx.

3,000 people died and nothing was learned. Nothing.

We're on our own.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
FEMA Director: We Did Not Know New Orleans Convention Center Was A Hurricane Shelter

Here’s what the FEMA director said to Paula Zahn tonight on CNN:

Michael Brown, director of FEMA: People who were unable or chose not to evacuate are suddenly appearing. And so this catastrophic disaster continues to grow. I will tell you this, though, every person in that convention center, we just learned about that today and so I have directed that we have all the available resources to get to that convention center to make sure that they have the food and water, the medical care that they need.

Paula Zahn: Sir, you’re not telling me –

Brown: To care of those bodies that are there –

Zahn: you’re not telling me that you just learned that the folks at the convention center didn’t have food and water until today, are you? You had no idea that they were completely cut off?

Brown: Paula, the federal government did not even know about the convention center people until today.

Apparently, the media knew the New Orleans Convention Center was a shelter for hurricane victims before the Bush Administration did. Meanwhile, victims at the convention center are facing “horrible, horrible conditions” where people are lying sick and dead on the streets.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
"We are going to restore order in the city of New Orleans," President Bush said. (Shortly after he spoke, Fox News reported more gunshots -- and men driving around in pickup trucks with gun barrels sticking out the window -- and new fires breaking out in downtown buildings.)

"Out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before," President Bush said. He noted that Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) lost his house to the hurricane.

Toward the end of his comments in Mobile, President Bush added -- almost as an afterthought -- "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job," noting that FEMA Director Brown is "working hard."

"Again, if it's not going exactly right, we're going to make it go exactly right," Bush said. "If there's problems, we're going to address the problems. And that's what I've come down to assure people of."
Old 09-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #178
Blue Crack Distributor

after 9/11 we were told that we were going to prepare on four fronts...

1) we were going to fight the terrorists oversea's... check

2) we were going to make it harder for them to operate here in america, harder for them to get into the country, and harder for the one's already here to stay... check

3) we were going to go after their money... freeze it up, make it difficult for them to fund any operations... check

4) the most important... we were going to be better prepared in case it, or something bigger, happens again... ehhhhhhhhh... wrongo. thanks for playing, please try again.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:57 PM
We are right now, one more hurricane and a Californian earthquake away from total worldwide recession, brrr.

How come we aren't seeing stories of people helping people like we saw during the tsunami. There are some heartwarming stories but they are outnumbered by stuff like a sniper,WTF?!? There were some evil people stealing children in Asia but nothing like the craziness going on in NO. During the tsunami, the people who lost everything were going out of their way to assist the tourists who were total strangers. They were all working together in attempts to minimize the effects. How bizarre that the reaction to the disaster is so different. Maybe technology and modern society has affected our values and respect for each other.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Here is a question I want answered. Why was were the airports closed more than 24 hours before the storm?

I can see closing it to incoming planes...

but....

Why were people who were trying to evacuate turned away 24 hours before the storm?