MERGED==> The politics of Katrina + Trent Lott + Michael Moore - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
At least Bush is there now. He needs to fire ALOT of people.

when has Bush ever fired ANYONE?

he gives them medals of honor.

seriously, does he know more than 4 people?

Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

C'mon Dread, people questioning the government's response is legitimate. I don't think anyone expects the Secretary of State to be driving buses to evacuate people, or thinks that Dick Cheney should be down in New Orleans handing out food and water, but there are many other things those politicians should be doing at this point and as yet they have failed to do so.
Not the point of the picture I posted.

Those buses are just sitting there. Before the disaster struck there were LOCAL GOVERNMENTS that had a responsibility to do something. Those buses sitting there make me sick.

If I could have been there this weekend I would have gone to help with the volunteer fireman from my town that are going. But I could not.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Not the point of the picture I posted.

Those buses are just sitting there. Before the disaster struck there were LOCAL GOVERNMENTS that had a responsibility to do something. Those buses sitting there make me sick.

If I could have been there this weekend I would have gone to help with the volunteer fireman from my town that are going. But I could not.
True. Those buses could have moved alot of people out of harms way.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

The governor of Louisiana is a Democrat. The mayor of New Orleans is, too, if I'm not mistaken, I do not know if New Orleans has partisan elections (we in Birmingham do not). It seems like there is blame enough to spread to both parties. Yes, the Republicans are in the White House and Congress but they're not solely responsible for the mess. We need to really be prepared for disasters, and it's not looking good no matter who wins the elections next year. If we elect all Democrats they're just as capable of screwing up big time.
See the article I posted above.....
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #140
ONE
love, blood, life

Congress has an alloted amount of vacation time every year and they take it. No problem.

I think it's safe to say we've never seen any president take as much vacation time as Bush does. You're almost more likely to find him at his ranch in Crawford, Texas than you are at the White House. Now, if Bush were this great president and he were successful in a good number of the things he set out to do, maybe he could take all that vacation time without it being so preposterous. But the fact is that his war is a total mess, Osama is still free, he's failed Africa, he's been financially irresponsible for all of his presidency(to list all the ways would take a separate thread), had he been more financially responsible, and heeded the warnings about the levees in the past few years, some of this disaster could(COULD, not neccessarily WOULD) have been prevented, and this disaster has shown that for all his talk, we're not even close to being ready for another terrorist attack. So yeah, all that said, I don't think there's any problem with saying it's absurd how much vacation time he's taking.

As for him not leaving Texas right away....it's not like it's the first time he's been slower to react than he should have been. Have we already forgotten the notorious seven minutes in the classroom in 9/11?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]We cannot talk about the consistent underfunding of the Army Corps of Engineers, whose efforts to rebuild the Louisiana levees practically halted because of budget cuts last year. Above all, we must never, ever ask whether global warming might be making the annual perils of tropical weather systems much, much worse. [/Q]

The writer of the SALON article must not have watched the Army Corps of Engineers press conference today. The areas that went down were COMPLETED. There were no further projects planned for those areas with or without the funding.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:

I work for a local government. Recently, we were all required to implement this training for all city employees:

http://www.fema.gov/nims/

Every municipality is required to go through this program, or they will not receive any federal grant money. Your job position determines what level you have to complete.

This quote is interesting:
"For those events that rise to the level of an Incident of National Significance, the Department of Homeland Security provides operational and/or resource coordination for Federal support to on-scene incident command structures."

I'd say the training ain't going so great .
Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I work for a local government. Recently, we were all required to implement this training for all city employees:

http://www.fema.gov/nims/

Every municipality is required to go through this program, or they will not receive any federal grant money. Your job position determines what level you have to complete.

"For those events that rise to the level of an Incident of National Significance, the Department of Homeland Security provides operational and/or resource coordination for Federal support to on-scene incident command structures."

I'd say the training ain't going so great .
I would agree.

I wonder, since I am two miles away from the nuke plant with 600+ students in my building, exactly how many of the buses that are slated to show when the evacuation order is given would actually show up.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Want to bet that Homeland Security has nothing to do with anything before the hurricane hit.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]"I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees," he told Diane Sawyer on ABC's "Good Morning America."

That statement was wholly untrue, as Sidney Blumenthal noted on Wednesday in Salon -- and as the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., the former chief of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency all tried to warn in recent years. Cutbacks in funding for flood control and emergency preparedness by the Bush administration and the Republican Congress over the past several years probably made a terrible event much worse. [/Q]

This made me chuckle...I have a quote from President Clinton saying EXACTLY the same thing......

[Q]"Look at all they've had to deal with," former President Clinton told CNN shortly after joining former President Bush on a fundraising campaign for hurricane relief. "I'm telling you, nobody every thought it would happen like this."
[/Q]

Hmmmm.....

Could Sidney Bloomenthal be politicizing it? Nah...never

Shall I post where the Bush Administration cut funding for the levee projects....and then show that the Clinton Administration behaved in the same manner.

Headache is on the right page!!!!!! Verte is on the right page!!!!!

It's not Republicans and its not Democrats. They are equally not doing their job. Christ almighty....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
[BCould Sidney Bloomenthal be politicizing it? Nah...never

Shall I post where the Bush Administration cut funding for the levee projects....and then show that the Clinton Administration behaved in the same manner.

Headache is on the right page!!!!!! Verte is on the right page!!!!!

It's not Republicans and its not Democrats. They are equally not doing their job. Christ almighty.... [/B]

but Dread: it is the REPUBLICANS who are in charge. everyone here is blaming the government as a whole, but right now, the lives of thousands of people lay in the hands of a REPUBLCIAN controlled Congress.

we must hold the President responsible for this for far more important reasons than partisan ones (and it strikes me that immediately calling criticism "partisan" is, in and of itself, rather partisan). when Bush looked over at Ashcroft after the jets hit the towers and said, "I want you to make sure this never happens again," it was not meant to be specific to "no more planes hitting large buildings in NYC." it was meant that no American should have to run for his life through an American city. While Americans may perish in a senseless, unforeseen disaster, we'd save the ones we could.

let me ask you this: what if Al-Qaeda had blown up the levees? would the response have been any better?

they should all be fired.

Bush should be impeached.

fuck them all.

(yes, the Dems in Congress too)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Where is the president when his oil buddies are doing this? This photo is NOT Photoshopped.

What was this the third or fourth post in the thread?

This is not politicizing it? The gas prices have what exactly to do with the RESCUE operation.

All due respect, when I was asked if I regretted or had changed my opinions of the thread....going back to why I originally posted it which was this post....

clearly there have been posts about the concerns for the people involved in the trajedy.

There have been other posts made not with the same vein.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Andrew Sullivan had this to say:

"The complete collapse of effective government and of emergency procedures four years after 9/11 mean only one thing. We do not have an administration capable of running the country during the war on terror. They have bungled homeland security; they have mismanaged Iraq; they have dropped the ball in New Orleans. In each case, a conservative government does not seem to understand that law and order are always, always, the first priority. The glib self-congratulation of government official after official made me retch listening to them. Chertoff mouthed bureaucratese. Only today did the president say that the response was "not acceptable." Notice again the distancing: you, Mr Bush, are the man responsible. It is your performance that is not acceptable. Of course, we have to live with this president for three years - and one can only tremble at the thought of what that means in the event of another terror strike. I do think however that this crisis means an obvious shift in terms of Bush's successor. Two words: Rudy Giuliani. We need someone to do for the federal government what Rudy did for New York's. His social liberalism will now be far less of an obstacle. We need competence again."
Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but Dread: it is the REPUBLICANS who are in charge. everyone here is blaming the government as a whole, but right now, the lives of thousands of people lay in the hands of a REPUBLCIAN controlled Congress.

we must hold the President responsible for this for far more important reasons than partisan ones (and it strikes me that immediately calling criticism "partisan" is, in and of itself, rather partisan). when Bush looked over at Ashcroft after the jets hit the towers and said, "I want you to make sure this never happens again," it was not meant to be specific to "no more planes hitting large buildings in NYC." it was meant that no American should have to run for his life through an American city. While Americans may perish in a senseless, unforeseen disaster, we'd save the ones we could.

let me ask you this: what if Al-Qaeda had blown up the levees? would the response have been any better?

they should all be fired.

Bush should be impeached.

fuck them all.

(yes, the Dems in Congress too)
Irvine....

I have just showed two instances where your SALON article was 100% wrong.... President Clinton spoke today and said they never through. He was President for eight years, and his administration CUT the funding too. THEY never thought. (AND I AM NOT BLAMING CLINTON)

The army core of engineers said the areas that broke were not areas they were going to work on. They were FINISHED with those areas.

And if you think the republicans and democrats are not equally reponsible for the problems we are having with pork and pet projects, there is nothing I can say.

If you look at who is in charge of the State and Local governements before the storm hit...Verte I think clearly showed it was Democrats.....

The article I posted makes a shitload of sense.....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:

Irvine....

I have just showed two instances where your SALON article was 100% wrong.... President Clinton spoke today and said they never through. He was President for eight years, and his administration CUT the funding too. THEY never thought. (AND I AM NOT BLAMING CLINTON)

The army core of engineers said the areas that broke were not areas they were going to work on. They were FINISHED with those areas.

And if you think the republicans and democrats are not equally reponsible for the problems we are having with pork and pet projects, there is nothing I can say.

If you look at who is in charge of the State and Local governements before the storm hit...Verte I think clearly showed it was Democrats.....

The article I posted makes a shitload of sense.....
What worries me is the response of the federal government after the hurricane, the recovery effort. Several articles have stated how FEMA was weakened when it was incorporated into the Office of Homeland Security.