MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK) - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:27 AM
http://fm4.orf.at/steve/184207/main

The Washington Palm House

I was outside the US Congress building yesterday afternoon in downtown Washington DC. It was warm, I needed a cool drink and (let's be honest) to go the loo. I spied what looked like a Palmenhaus. Brilliant - the answer.

The X-ray Machine

Outside - a large queue. Not a problem. Maybe Washingtonians love their plants. I joined the queue and after about 10 minutes realised that people were queuing up to have their bags screened through an x-ray machine
and themselves checked through a metal detector. The machine went off when I walked through. I tried to make a joke about the euros in my back pocket but the security guards weren't that amused. "Hold up your hands!" one of them said. What is in this Palmenhaus that demands so much security, I wondered.

Mr Scarecrow

As I was allowed through and moved into the main area, I spied Mr Scarecrow - a stuffed scarecrow under a palm tree - the kind of thing you'd see outside a farm in rural Salzburg. Could he be the reason? Was he essential to the running of the country? Was he going for office too?

And the point is.....

I have got no problem with the security and the searches. But what strikes me is a sense of worry that the next 9/11 is just around the corner. Admittedly Bin Laden's latest video has not helped things. I was also walking round the back of the Whitehouse and saw loads of "No Entry" & "Police - Secure Area" signs. I wanted to take a few photos of the signs & stick them here on the homepage to show the level of security. So I politely asked a FBI agent in his police box. The answer was a firm "no". It wasn't even a friendly "no" or a chatty "no", it was the kind of "no" that means "no, now get lost!"

"Where you from"?

I walked towards a set of traffic lights and then a woman came up to me. "Where you from?" she demanded. "Errr, FM4... it's a radio station in Austria" I replied. Then she walked off without another word. Wow, now I was getting paranoid. Maybe they are watching me. It reminded me of when I was on holiday in Tunis and I tried to take a photo of the cathedral. Two Tunisian policemen came running up to me and demanded to know why I was taking a photo of an army post (which happened to be next to the Cathedral).

The FBI are worried though. During the week, there were many officers on the Washington underground. They looked nervous - they looked like they were expecting something. And the Whitehouse does have a problem. If it raises the security alert, they will either be accused by opponents of using this as a scare tactic. Or worse for Bush - he will be seen as someone who, on the eve of an election, can do no more than tell everyone to be careful. Not such a satisfactory answer to threats from Bin Laden.

Just hours to go

This feeling of anxiety and stress and worry is a result of 9/11, the post-traumatic stress of that day plus public figures who remind Americans to be on their guard and look out for strangers - (including FM4 people with their cameras staring at a "Vote Bush" sticker on a lampost wondering if it would make an interesting photo). Roll on Election Tuesday!

Old 11-02-2004, 03:26 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM

v\EV's: Bush 289, Kerry 249

Pct: Bush 49.4%, Kerry 48.7%

This site keeps a running projection for the 2004 US Presidential Election. Using the most recent polling data, state-by-state voting totals from 2000 will be updated to project a 2004 outcome. Click here for an explanation of the formula I use to make these projections.

Projected -1 am Nov 2 by another website.

db9

Old 11-02-2004, 04:05 AM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:27 AM
I am on my way to VOTE in 5

Old 11-02-2004, 04:07 AM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 AM
can i piss myself now?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:12 AM   #125
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 AM
I'm voting after work--I get out of work at 2:30, which the LWV predicts will be one of the slower times during the day. Perfect!

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:37 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

by what time can we know the trends or result...

please answer in GMT
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 AM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Well, I'm up early...I so want to go vote....over and over and over and over.....
Old 11-02-2004, 04:56 AM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

my parents voted. we know kerry has 2 votes in virginia!!
Old 11-02-2004, 04:56 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Finally, this day has come! Now we cast our votes, and let the chips fall. I'm a nervous wreck........I sort of wish someone was fifteen points ahead in the polls rather than neck-and-neck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:00 AM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
by what time can we know the trends or result...

please answer in GMT

I suck at math, but I'll give it a shot. It will probably be midnight here when we know the results. I am either six or seven hours behind GMT, it's confusing because we just changed our clocks. I'm going to say it will be after sunrise tomorrow GMT.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Why don't you all vote absentee ballot? My wife and I voted last week.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 AM   #132
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

This site keeps a running projection for the 2004 US Presidential Election. Using the most recent polling data, state-by-state voting totals from 2000 will be updated to project a 2004 outcome. Click here for an explanation of the formula I use to make these projections.

db9
Where's this site you speak of?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

db9
electionprojection.com is so incredibly biased for Bush that you can't take its numbers seriously.

Go to electoral-vote.com for an unbiased page. Yes, the guy is a Democrat, but he doesn't have pro-Kerry crap all over the front page, and he doesn't pick and choose polls based on whether they're for Bush or not, like electionprojection does.

electionprojection.com is pure shit. Trust me on that one.

electoral-vote.com has a 298-231 split in favour of Kerry based on the most recent poll numbers.

But almost all of those polls were conducted before ol' Binny's latest video.

I will still call it Kerry 274 - Bush 264, with New Mexico making the difference.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:35 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
i voted.
#9 in line at about 30 deep before the polls opened..
much larger turn out, then 2000 election the poll workers tell me.

the poll workers always remind me of my grandma

db9
Old 11-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the poll workers always remind me of my grandma
LOL, you noticed that too eh?