MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I'm so glad so many people seem to be showing up.

Everyone I know here in Australia has their fingers crossed for Kerry. It's 10am Wednesday here, I work for a huge corporate company, all anyone here is talking about is the US election, just waiting for some results.

paxetaurora said:
I think I speak for a great many FYMers, Republican and Democrat, when I say... "Lord, please let it not be close."

I don't mind close elections, except when I'm watching the returns and it's a damn nail-biter for awhile. Over the long haul it's not bad because a narrow victory keeps the winner on his/her toes, so to speak. The winner of this election must unite a pretty divided electorate, and it's going to be a tough call. When FDR won his landslide in 1936 he went a bit berserk and tried to "pack" the Supreme Court. This blew up in his face.

verte76 said:

I don't mind close elections, except when I'm watching the returns and it's a damn nail-biter for awhile. Over the long haul it's not bad because a narrow victory keeps the winner on his/her toes, so to speak. The winner of this election must unite a pretty divided electorate, and it's going to be a tough call. When FDR won his landslide in 1936 he went a bit berserk and tried to "pack" the Supreme Court. This blew up in his face.

Chris Wallace was on the Daily Show and said something about how interesting this election is. At a time when we are so wired, so connected, there is so much information out there -- blogs, polls, etc. -- and yet no one has any idea how tonight will go. Well I sort of know...I'll be drinking.

It's really great to see that so many people are voting. No matter what the result is, high turn-out for an election anywhere is a great thing.

I have to say, however, that I'm a bit appalled to see how long people have to wait for. Elections in Canada and Québec usually have between 60% and 70% participation rate, and I've never waited more than 10 minutes to vote, and never saw such big lines anywhere.

Is it because the turn-out is so much higher than exptected? Shouldn't the people organizing the elections planned more voting booths and all?

At the same time, I can imagine that it must have been exciting to see all those people showing up to vote. A little bit like waiting in line for a U2 concert is really not that bad, since everyone knows it's worth it...

I hope not too many people will have been discouraged by the long lines, however.

Wow, I didn't have any wait at all this morning. 8:45AM I walked into my presienct(sp?), had one person in front of me, and was done and out of there in about 5 minutes.

That's true, but the only states projected at this time are Indiana, Kentucky, and Georgia for Bush, and Vermont for Kerry.

No projections have been done yet for Virginia or South Carolina.

just to cheer you up.. local european community: girls discussing...

1st girl: I wanna l*** Kerry´s d***
2nd girl: I´ll go to watch a report about dem firefighters now
guy: I want good old George Washington back

I bet like Hunter S. Thompson.

There's a gambilin man/political junkey like none other. And according to my man Hunter, Kerry with 5 points is a pretty safe wager.

Viva la vida gonzo.

This is so fucking exciting. :hyper:

Too bad I promised a girl I'd take her to see Team America tonight...I'm gonna miss a lot of numbers in the next 2 hours...

Never did I think I'd be refreshing FYM every two seconds for constant updates.......I'm completely hooked
I actually prayed Kerry would win..........anyone that knows me will tell you how EXTREMELY out of character that is for me

I'm also really impressed at the genial discourse and cool attitude everyone's been keeping
everyone keep up the good work
y'all fucking rock

VIVA KERRY!

Xavier

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Dave! Its Jenny time :D

my ass it is. I'm heading home in 20 minutes then heading to the local bar to drink drink drink!!!!!!

But thanks for the support.

Jenny :lol:

there are some more Jenny´s out there - but I don´t now about the dates of Dave. It was just an uninformed guess..

medmo said:

we may disagree on who should be president, but we're amazingly similar on other issues. cheers.

:up: cheers indeed... may the true will of the people win out in the end, whomever that may be.

in the meantime... if anyone wants to be a dork and keep track of the votes as they come in, www.latimes.com has a great electoral vote tracker that you can highlight the states as the results come in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom