MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://fm4.orf.at/steve/184207/main

The Washington Palm House

I was outside the US Congress building yesterday afternoon in downtown Washington DC. It was warm, I needed a cool drink and (let's be honest) to go the loo. I spied what looked like a Palmenhaus. Brilliant - the answer.

The X-ray Machine

Outside - a large queue. Not a problem. Maybe Washingtonians love their plants. I joined the queue and after about 10 minutes realised that people were queuing up to have their bags screened through an x-ray machine
and themselves checked through a metal detector. The machine went off when I walked through. I tried to make a joke about the euros in my back pocket but the security guards weren't that amused. "Hold up your hands!" one of them said. What is in this Palmenhaus that demands so much security, I wondered.

Mr Scarecrow

As I was allowed through and moved into the main area, I spied Mr Scarecrow - a stuffed scarecrow under a palm tree - the kind of thing you'd see outside a farm in rural Salzburg. Could he be the reason? Was he essential to the running of the country? Was he going for office too?

And the point is.....

I have got no problem with the security and the searches. But what strikes me is a sense of worry that the next 9/11 is just around the corner. Admittedly Bin Laden's latest video has not helped things. I was also walking round the back of the Whitehouse and saw loads of "No Entry" & "Police - Secure Area" signs. I wanted to take a few photos of the signs & stick them here on the homepage to show the level of security. So I politely asked a FBI agent in his police box. The answer was a firm "no". It wasn't even a friendly "no" or a chatty "no", it was the kind of "no" that means "no, now get lost!"

"Where you from"?

I walked towards a set of traffic lights and then a woman came up to me. "Where you from?" she demanded. "Errr, FM4... it's a radio station in Austria" I replied. Then she walked off without another word. Wow, now I was getting paranoid. Maybe they are watching me. It reminded me of when I was on holiday in Tunis and I tried to take a photo of the cathedral. Two Tunisian policemen came running up to me and demanded to know why I was taking a photo of an army post (which happened to be next to the Cathedral).

The FBI are worried though. During the week, there were many officers on the Washington underground. They looked nervous - they looked like they were expecting something. And the Whitehouse does have a problem. If it raises the security alert, they will either be accused by opponents of using this as a scare tactic. Or worse for Bush - he will be seen as someone who, on the eve of an election, can do no more than tell everyone to be careful. Not such a satisfactory answer to threats from Bin Laden.

Just hours to go

This feeling of anxiety and stress and worry is a result of 9/11, the post-traumatic stress of that day plus public figures who remind Americans to be on their guard and look out for strangers - (including FM4 people with their cameras staring at a "Vote Bush" sticker on a lampost wondering if it would make an interesting photo). Roll on Election Tuesday!

EVMap.gif

v\EV's: Bush 289, Kerry 249

Pct: Bush 49.4%, Kerry 48.7%

This site keeps a running projection for the 2004 US Presidential Election. Using the most recent polling data, state-by-state voting totals from 2000 will be updated to project a 2004 outcome. Click here for an explanation of the formula I use to make these projections.

Projected -1 am Nov 2 by another website.

db9

Last edited:
I'm voting after work--I get out of work at 2:30, which the LWV predicts will be one of the slower times during the day. Perfect! :up:

Well, I'm up early...I so want to go vote....over and over and over and over.....:D

Finally, this day has come! Now we cast our votes, and let the chips fall. I'm a nervous wreck........I sort of wish someone was fifteen points ahead in the polls rather than neck-and-neck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

AcrobatMan said:
by what time can we know the trends or result...

please answer in GMT

I suck at math, but I'll give it a shot. It will probably be midnight here when we know the results. I am either six or seven hours behind GMT, it's confusing because we just changed our clocks. I'm going to say it will be after sunrise tomorrow GMT.

diamond said:
EVMap.gif

This site keeps a running projection for the 2004 US Presidential Election. Using the most recent polling data, state-by-state voting totals from 2000 will be updated to project a 2004 outcome. Click here for an explanation of the formula I use to make these projections.

db9

Where's this site you speak of?

diamond said:
EVMap.gif

db9

electionprojection.com is so incredibly biased for Bush that you can't take its numbers seriously.

Go to electoral-vote.com for an unbiased page. Yes, the guy is a Democrat, but he doesn't have pro-Kerry crap all over the front page, and he doesn't pick and choose polls based on whether they're for Bush or not, like electionprojection does.

electionprojection.com is pure shit. Trust me on that one.

electoral-vote.com has a 298-231 split in favour of Kerry based on the most recent poll numbers.

But almost all of those polls were conducted before ol' Binny's latest video.

I will still call it Kerry 274 - Bush 264, with New Mexico making the difference.

i voted.
#9 in line at about 30 deep before the polls opened..
much larger turn out, then 2000 election the poll workers tell me.

the poll workers always remind me of my grandma:wink:

db9

diamond said:
i voted.
#9 in line at about 30 deep before the polls opened..
much larger turn out, then 2000 election the poll workers tell me.

the poll workers always remind me of my grandma:wink:

db9

so you went with kerry after all, heh?:wink:

There is talk that the turnout may be as high as 75%! I would love it if that many people exercised their rights! Of course 100% is perfect, but that's not going to happen. I think turnout was below 50% in 2000. I don't have the numbers however.

nbcrusader said:
It's fine - I'd rather have someone putting an emphasis on leading this country instead of appealing to the rest of the world

I understand that, electing your leader, you will be more concerned about your country's interests. But those who think (and I'm not saying you're one of them) that the US can keep going like that, being more and more disrespected by the rest of the world, and be more safe at the end of the day live in a world of illusion, sorry.

Some Americans can keep saying they don't care about the rest of the world (which is essentially what Bush has been saying) all they want, but America is simply not *that* strong that it can do without the support of others.

I am from Canada, and I lived in the US for two years, I have many American friends and know very well that Americans cannot be put all in the same basket, and that the current administration is not an accurate representation of how the population is.

Now Canada is not exactly an anti-American country. But lately I have witnessed such an almost unanimous wave of anti-Bushism, becoming more and more anti-Americanism, that it's almost scary. People are not even careful before they express their resentment towards the US at this point.

I would even go as far as saying that, at this point, not only are there more and more people who want to kill Americans every day, but less and less people will feel sorry about it when it happens again.

I know that looks harsh, but that's reality. You can say you don't care about what the world thinks all you want, but at the end of the day this bulliyng attitude is not making anyone safer, and certainly not Americans.

That being said, I have faith in the American people, and I hope you will kick-out this idiot out of the White House. The world is watching...

I know I can't change anyone's mind, and I'm not using this post as sel-promotion either. I was thinking last night, and I was actually considering whether President Bush was the proper president to support, and this thought from my psychology class came to mind.

Check it out if you get the chance:

benpohl.blogspot.com

Just got back from voting...walked a whole block to my poll location, it was in a retirement home, stood in line for an hour and voted. The Republicans tried their last ditch effort by passing out flyers with the Republican canidates at the street corner. There was a hundred year old woman in front of me in line she reminded me that she was voting before I was born. But then there was another lady behind me that thought she was in line for bingo, she forgot today was election day.

I voted for Kerry at 8:45(approxiamatly) this morning.

This is gonna be ridiculously close. At electoral-vote.com, it's been updated, and it's say Kerry is going to win by ONE VOTE, 262-261. Insanity.

namkcuR said:
At electoral-vote.com, it's been updated, and it's say Kerry is going to win by ONE VOTE, 262-261. Insanity.

:crazy:

If that's the case there will be another long fight.

I voted weeks ago but now I want an "I voted" button. :angry:

namkcuR said:

This is gonna be ridiculously close. At electoral-vote.com, it's been updated, and it's say Kerry is going to win by ONE VOTE, 262-261. Insanity.

I just checked and it has Kerry at 298 and Bush at 231...:huh:

I just checked and it says 262-261. :huh:

C'mon, New Mexico, don't let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom