MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK) - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 07:04 AM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
There are no words to describe the disgust, the heartbreak, the anger I feel right now.

I think this election has turned me off politics for good. And there are going to be some BIG changes in my life. I'm getting rid of cable TV, or as much of it as I can get rid of and still keep my broadband connection. There is NO WAY I'm going to watch cable news, or any news for that matter. I'll miss Keith Olbermann, who I think is the best thing on television, but I won't be able to stand watching the braying jackasses on Hardball and shows of their kind.

I'm also going to stop reading newspapers, news magazines, and non-fiction books about politics or current events. If I read, it has to be fluffy novels with happy endings.

I've already deleted the news headlines feature from my homepage.
I'll never watch the news for the next 4 years.
I only hope that when the terrorists hit new york again, no one I know is hurt.
a sad, sad day.
I really couldn't even care less about the new u2 album right now.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 AM   #557
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
not only do the dems lose the oval office, they also lose seats in the house and senate, including losing their house leader, daschle.

the old school democratic party needs to go away and "dream it all up again." frankly, if obama lives up to his promise in his first few years in the senate, i'd run him in 2008. screw hillary... all hillary is gonna do is piss off those who even have the slightest of leanings towards the right. and with the potential for the extremely popular rudy giuliani to run on the GOP's ticket in 2008, the dems need somebody who can get the populus excited... not another ted kennedy democrat.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #558
Refugee

Local Time: 12:49 AM
I watched early part of US election coverage here in the UK (went to bed at around midnight) and at that time, a lot of commentators were pointing towards Kerry victory - based on exit polls, Dow Jones rising (prefer Bush), European markets falling (prefer Kerry), body language of both candidates and general consensus from all major networks.

Went to bed feeling the world was righting itself.

Woke up to same old mess. What happened?

Is it that Kerry was just the wrong man or did something happen to turn public opinion towards Bush? As a non-US person, I really dont know too many of the issues within the US which this election was being fought on. Most of us in Europe think the main topic is Iraq war. With more and more US military returning in body bags, I would have thought this would have swayed public opinion.

Can anyone point towards any one item which kept Kerry out of oval office?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:03 AM   #559
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Kerry's position would be stronger if the popular vote was in his favor.

Very true.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:30 AM   #560
Blue Crack Distributor

john kerry has conceded... it's officialy over. george w. bush is still the president of the united states.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #561
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
john kerry has conceded... it's officialy over. george w. bush is still the president of the united states.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:40 AM   #562
Blue Crack Distributor

i've been waiting for an official announcement rather than do it last night when i just thought he had won, because i still remember what everyone "thought" in 2000... but now that kerry has officialy conceded...

Old 11-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #563
Acrobat

Same shit, different day.

We still stand divided.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #564
Rock n' Roll Doggie

congrats to Mr Bush and all republicans
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #565
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Party Boy
I watched early part of US election coverage here in the UK (went to bed at around midnight) and at that time, a lot of commentators were pointing towards Kerry victory - based on exit polls, Dow Jones rising (prefer Bush), European markets falling (prefer Kerry), body language of both candidates and general consensus from all major networks.

Went to bed feeling the world was righting itself.

Woke up to same old mess. What happened?

Is it that Kerry was just the wrong man or did something happen to turn public opinion towards Bush? As a non-US person, I really dont know too many of the issues within the US which this election was being fought on. Most of us in Europe think the main topic is Iraq war. With more and more US military returning in body bags, I would have thought this would have swayed public opinion.

Can anyone point towards any one item which kept Kerry out of oval office?

Yes, I don't have exact numbers, but the white protestant community came to the polls in droves, and I believe moral issues is what won the election for President Bush.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #566
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
cheers indeed... may the true will of the people win out in the end, whomever that may be.
and thank god this happened... a majority president and a true winner of the electoral college. democracy lives on.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Interesting that evangelicals can talk about morality and vote for a man whose bold-faced lies put not only American troops in harm's way, but killed tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians. And I speak as one who used to be an evangelical and a Republican. I have just found it too hard to reconcile true faith and the teachings of Jesus with the fundamentalist myopic vitriol that emmanates from so-called "Christian" circles today. I am very disappointed and even ashamed to be called a Christian because of the horrible twisted thing it seems to have become.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
I guess we could have quite a discussion of what it means to be a Christian. More than one thread could hold.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think religious views necessarily have to define political views. I am a practicing Catholic, and am actually rather conservative theologically. That being said I saw no inconsistency in voting for a candidate who I don't always agree with, because neither one of them was the ideal candidate for me. I am just relieved that the election season is over. This was the most stressful election campaign I've ever been through. I expect to have to go through a "healing process" which might not be easy. I am glad I'm about to leave town! I need a change of scenery.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #570
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Bush you are a complete and utter tosser.

America is the most screwed up place in the world. How so many people are brainwashed into voting for that moron is ridiculous.