MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm the only Kerry supporter posting. Technically, I'm an independent, not a registered Democrat. Perhaps U2democrat just doesn't feel like posting right now. I hope she is OK. I'm leaving town today, and I'm looking forward to the change in scenery I'll have for a few days. I think that it's not inappropriate that my trip is partially a Catholic pilgrimage.

Let's hope this get wrapped up quickly. Bush has about 150,000 vote advantage in Ohio. Those 20 electoral votes would bring him the election.

:scream:

I can only hope and pray that Mr. Bush will somehow learn a few things from his first four years, such as humility, better listening skills, more openness to accept constructive criticism, more honesty w/ the American people and with himself. I sincerely hope another term will not increase his arrogance.

Frankly I don't hold out much hope for that :|

That's just based upon my observations of him, far more so than it is my political bias.. Sometimes people can surprise you, so perhaps there's a shred of possibility :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I can only hope and pray that Mr. Bush will somehow learn a few things from his first four years, such as humility, better listening skills, more openness to accept constructive criticism, more honesty w/ the American people and with himself.

Maybe even a better grasp of the English language.

No matter what though, I really hope that if it is indeed him that is chosen, that he will repair all the bridges he burned with other countries....

they couldn't find 500 votes in florida, and they'r expecting to find 150,000 in ohio? it's over johnny... stick a fork in 'em. conceed. don't play this out.

it was an "outrage" that gore lost when he won the popular vote by a meeger 500,000... bush just won the popular vote by 3.5 million. the will of the people has spoken... end this now, john kerry. end this now.

Last edited:
Kerry's position would be stronger if the popular vote was in his favor.

At some point, the refusal to concede will only damage Kerry/Edwards.

Kerry probably could care less - he has a safe seat in the senate and a nice nest egg to retire on.

Edwards should be more cautious. He may just have a bright political future ahead of him.

There are no words to describe the disgust, the heartbreak, the anger I feel right now.

I think this election has turned me off politics for good. And there are going to be some BIG changes in my life. I'm getting rid of cable TV, or as much of it as I can get rid of and still keep my broadband connection. There is NO WAY I'm going to watch cable news, or any news for that matter. I'll miss Keith Olbermann, who I think is the best thing on television, but I won't be able to stand watching the braying jackasses on Hardball and shows of their kind.

I'm also going to stop reading newspapers, news magazines, and non-fiction books about politics or current events. If I read, it has to be fluffy novels with happy endings.

Oh. One more thing. I'm going to find the most Christian fundamental church I can find on Long Island and attend a service or two. It's time to drink the Kool-Aid. It's time to embrace their way of life. It's the only way life in America will be worth living.

Goodbye, reality-based living. From now on, everything that happens to me is the Lord's will, and who am I to question God?

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

I can only hope and pray that Mr. Bush will somehow learn a few things from his first four years, such as humility, better listening skills, more openness to accept constructive criticism, more honesty w/ the American people and with himself. I sincerely hope another term will not increase his arrogance.

Frankly I don't hold out much hope for that :|

That's just based upon my observations of him, far more so than it is my political bias.. Sometimes people can surprise you, so perhaps there's a shred of possibility :shrug:

I agree 100%. I supported Bush, but I Definitely Do Not support him completely. I'd be hoping for all of those things if John Kerry was elected as well, they're simply traits of a good president. Good post!

RTSS said:

I agree 100%. I supported Bush, but I Definitely Do Not support him completely. I'd be hoping for all of those things if John Kerry was elected as well, they're simply traits of a good president. Good post!

I hope Bush will learn something as well.

Diane L said:
There are no words to describe the disgust, the heartbreak, the anger I feel right now.

I think this election has turned me off politics for good. And there are going to be some BIG changes in my life. I'm getting rid of cable TV, or as much of it as I can get rid of and still keep my broadband connection. There is NO WAY I'm going to watch cable news, or any news for that matter. I'll miss Keith Olbermann, who I think is the best thing on television, but I won't be able to stand watching the braying jackasses on Hardball and shows of their kind.

I'm also going to stop reading newspapers, news magazines, and non-fiction books about politics or current events. If I read, it has to be fluffy novels with happy endings.

I've already deleted the news headlines feature from my homepage.
I'll never watch the news for the next 4 years.
I only hope that when the terrorists hit new york again, no one I know is hurt.
a sad, sad day.
I really couldn't even care less about the new u2 album right now.

not only do the dems lose the oval office, they also lose seats in the house and senate, including losing their house leader, daschle.

the old school democratic party needs to go away and "dream it all up again." frankly, if obama lives up to his promise in his first few years in the senate, i'd run him in 2008. screw hillary... all hillary is gonna do is piss off those who even have the slightest of leanings towards the right. and with the potential for the extremely popular rudy giuliani to run on the GOP's ticket in 2008, the dems need somebody who can get the populus excited... not another ted kennedy democrat.

I watched early part of US election coverage here in the UK (went to bed at around midnight) and at that time, a lot of commentators were pointing towards Kerry victory - based on exit polls, Dow Jones rising (prefer Bush), European markets falling (prefer Kerry), body language of both candidates and general consensus from all major networks.

Went to bed feeling the world was righting itself.

Woke up to same old mess. What happened?

Is it that Kerry was just the wrong man or did something happen to turn public opinion towards Bush? As a non-US person, I really dont know too many of the issues within the US which this election was being fought on. Most of us in Europe think the main topic is Iraq war. With more and more US military returning in body bags, I would have thought this would have swayed public opinion.

Can anyone point towards any one item which kept Kerry out of oval office?

Party Boy said:
I watched early part of US election coverage here in the UK (went to bed at around midnight) and at that time, a lot of commentators were pointing towards Kerry victory - based on exit polls, Dow Jones rising (prefer Bush), European markets falling (prefer Kerry), body language of both candidates and general consensus from all major networks.

Went to bed feeling the world was righting itself.

Woke up to same old mess. What happened?

Is it that Kerry was just the wrong man or did something happen to turn public opinion towards Bush? As a non-US person, I really dont know too many of the issues within the US which this election was being fought on. Most of us in Europe think the main topic is Iraq war. With more and more US military returning in body bags, I would have thought this would have swayed public opinion.

Can anyone point towards any one item which kept Kerry out of oval office?

Yes, I don't have exact numbers, but the white protestant community came to the polls in droves, and I believe moral issues is what won the election for President Bush.

Interesting that evangelicals can talk about morality and vote for a man whose bold-faced lies put not only American troops in harm's way, but killed tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians. And I speak as one who used to be an evangelical and a Republican. I have just found it too hard to reconcile true faith and the teachings of Jesus with the fundamentalist myopic vitriol that emmanates from so-called "Christian" circles today. I am very disappointed and even ashamed to be called a Christian because of the horrible twisted thing it seems to have become. :(

I don't think religious views necessarily have to define political views. I am a practicing Catholic, and am actually rather conservative theologically. That being said I saw no inconsistency in voting for a candidate who I don't always agree with, because neither one of them was the ideal candidate for me. I am just relieved that the election season is over. This was the most stressful election campaign I've ever been through. I expect to have to go through a "healing process" which might not be easy. I am glad I'm about to leave town! I need a change of scenery.

Last edited:
Bush you are a complete and utter tosser.

America is the most screwed up place in the world. How so many people are brainwashed into voting for that moron is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom