MERGED: The Last 72 Hours: ALL U.S. Election-Related Posting (COMMENTARY/CHITCHAT OK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starsgoblue said:
Diemen...easy with the Christian digs. I'm a Christian and I voted for Kerry.

Yes, but since you voted for Kerry, I assume you're not an extreme right-wing Christian conservative.

I'm Christian as well, but I don't believe being a man of faith should be a major qualification for becoming President, nor do I think pushing right-wing Christian agendas is a responsibe way to govern a people of MANY religions and ways of life.

I think the brush you used to paint ALL Christians as intolerant

Hey, where has anyone said ALL Christians.

These rat bastards don't follow the teaching of Jesus.

"Christian" is political tool for them to use.

Daily Kos posters have gone totally nuts, heres a sample;

"read Orcanus.
Last night was exactly the excuse the thugs needed to start consolidating their forces, and moving us toward the police state that they want.

THERE WILL BE VIOLENCE AGINST US, the question is do we respond in kind. The even bigger question is DO WE RESPOND NOW, while we are together, or later as individuals that they can pick off in ones and twos.

This will not be won in the courts, and the constitution will not stand long enough for us to have another try at the ballot box.

This one will be won, or it will be lost in the streets.

The last hope is that we get saved the same way the Germans did.

If you don't have the stomach to fight, then put your head down, and prey you survive till the rest of the world comes together and puts a stake through the heart of the evil that rises up from last night.

America died last night, it now comes down to us to see if anything can be salvaged or if we becomme a third world nation. Once the thugs consolidate power here, e will comleate the journy to being a right wing fasist state of some sort."
You heard the man, *now go down and beat the shit out of "the man" wherever you see him

*Please don't do this.

Everybody just hold on...the other states are gonna fall with whoever is ahead now...Ohio will decide the whole thing. It's not inconcievable...there's a whole lot of numbers being thrown around, but it is possible that Kerry could pull out a ridiculously slim victory in Ohio...not really all that likely but possible nontheless. There should be under no circumstances any consession until ALL provisional ballots and absentee ballots are counted.

Of course I believe he was the best candidate all along...

CNN-Election-Winner.jpg

I watched a lot of election coverage last night (and this morning) and it has become more and more clear to me that US elections don't differ a lot from those in so-called 'banana republics'.
I mean, parties handle the election (I understood that even election officials are elected). Election computers are inaccurate because the producers are heavily backing a certain candidate. People who stand in line up to 4 (!) hours to cast a vote can be 'challenged' to change/go away/etc. And even those not waiting in line can be harassed.

Tell me, is this election so different from, say, the one in Zimbabwe? Or the Ukraine?

:sigh:

Marty

Ahem,those election computers backing a candidate, I am yet to see any evidence presented in a court of law to that effect.

DaveC said:
Notice to slightly more than half of American voters:
You are all fucking morons. Congratulations. You're a nation run by an idiot who is hated by the world. Boy, that was really bright wasn't it? :angry:

Barack Obama for President in 2008.

:sad:

You're cute when you're bitter.

A_Wanderer said:
Ahem,those election computers backing a candidate, I am yet to see any evidence presented in a court of law to that effect.

This is not from a court of law, but it has been presented:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/05/13/dented.diebold.ap/

Especially this part is interesting:
Diebold or people affiliated with the company made more than $325,000 in political contributions since 2000, mainly to President Bush or Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, according to the independent Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks money in politics.

In August [2003, MJ], O'Dell said in a fund-raising letter for the Ohio Republican Party that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes" to Bush.

The letter was sent just as Ohio's top elections official, a Republican, was about to qualify Diebold as one of three companies eligible to sell electronic voting machines in the state.

:|

Marty

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Well, in the long run, it´s better for Europe.

Private corporations fucking with the state (Halliburton) are not going to strengthen U.S. economics in the long run. If America gets weaker, it makes Europe stronger. That´s what 4 more years of Bush mean.

Congratulations to all the voters!

By voting more, you have all strengthened the democracy of your country.

Still, it is a sad day for democracy.

"The primary function of democracy is not to elect good leaders, since nobody can predict in advance how a politician will perform. It is to eject leaders who have manifestly failed. The ability to remove leaders who turn out to be corrupt, dangerous, outrageously dishonest or manifestly incompetent is the primary privilege and duty of any democracy."

Just being realistic.

just curious, how are officials elected to the EU?

I still see no evidence that the machines themselves have been tampered with in any wrong fashion, until such evidence is brought forward such an argument is flawed.

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We are met to dedicate a portion of it as the final resting place of those who gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract.

The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us, the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work that they have thus far so nobly carried on. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us, that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave their last full measure of devotion; that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that the nation shall, under God, have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

America, home of the brave and land of the free.

DaveC said:
Bush voters:

You have just condoned the deaths of 1000 servicemen and women in Iraq.

You have just condoned the removal of your civil rights via the Patriot Act.

You have just condoned inequality for homosexuals.

You have just condoned the removal of a woman's Freedom of Choice.

You have just condoned the alienation of America's strongest allies.

You have just condoned an unwinnable war.

You have just condoned Halliburton siphoning taxpayer money.

You have just made me sick. :tsk:

I beg to differ...

You have shown approval of saving the world from a festering danger that has emerged from the Middle east.

You have shown approval of a safer America..Crime rates have hit a 30 year low.

You have shown that you care for family values.

You have shown that you care for souls of the unborn. (If poeple have choices then they should think about them before they act)

You have made America closer to her most important Allies. (America, being the most powerful nation has a responsability to not 'act like an Island unto itself')...like many nations in the EU or UN. America does not have to follow what the EU thinks is right.

You have condoned a crackdown on terror that was never going to take 2 years to finish....we must be patient.... you have to be kidding yourself if terrorism might vanish into the night in less than 3 years. Half measures will not work...the job must be done properly. Sacrifice is always a buyproduct of success.... many have forgotten what the word 'sacrifice' means.

America has always come back from the setbacks...like the current Economic problems... America shall be repayed for for she has given...just you wait.

You have just given all the comedians out there another 4 years worth of easy sarcastic jokes.

I agree with most of that, except homosexuality and abortion issues - people should be able to live their whatever they want, without unwarranted interference from religious or state authority.

A_Wanderer said:
I agree with most of that, except homosexuality and abortion issues - people should be able to live their whatever they want, without unwarranted interference from religious or state authority.

That is the argument that can last forever...something different poeple groups will find it just too hard to agree on.
For some it comes down to weather you believe in God...or which god you believe in. If I did'nt believe in God, then of course I would probably be pro-abortion or a supporter of Homosexual groups.

True, but it is not the purpose of the state to enforce religious doctrine. If one were to subscribe to a set of religious practices then they should not conduct such acts out of choice but it is not for the state to become the enforcer of such beliefs - ever.

A_Wanderer said:
except homosexuality and abortion issues - people should be able to live their whatever they want, without unwarranted interference from religious or state authority.

Exactly...

I know that seems to be the correct answer...but If God cared for the world he gave his son for..then he would be pro-active and put poeple in charge who would carry out his will, would'nt he?
Is that really God's will??...again it depends on which God you believe in.

John Lennon is dead. I guess we aren't saying we want a revolution...I guess we can't imagine a world living as one.

I guess we're going to witness the fall of the 21st century's Rome. Get ready folks...I predict the worst. :(

You know, I doubt Kerry would have changed anything, but this margin of victory is scary. I can't believe that after so much criticism against Bush that he would actually gain votes from 2000's election.

I'm definately NOT proud to be an American. I'm sorry.

To the rest of the world...I'm sorry. Truly.

Damn straight, Bush wins and you don't even contribute a lousy vote to his victory, you should apologise :wink:

Oh never mind, people need to vent - and when they do they get very Henny-Penny about it.

democrats-crybaby.jpg

Last edited:
SouthPark(R) said:

just curious, how are officials elected to the EU?

Nice question, much too complicated to reply detailed after 3 hrs of sleep.

EU Parliament is voted directly by all citizens of member states. EU Commission isn´t voted directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom