MERGED-->The Kerry Blunder+If you're in the military...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
If you're in the military, you're stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLuMWiQ6r2o

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and do your homework, and make an effort to be smart, uh, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

John Kerry, pull your vapid head out of your ass.

And to all the intelligent, talented, hard-working people of the military, along with all the college students financing their education through the GI bill, thanks for undertaking such a thankless and important service to our country.

My father went to school on the GI Bill. He became a renowned research scientist. Shame on anybody who thinks these people are stupid.

Ew

I would like to see or read the whole speech, the way it cuts off just makes me wonder. Not that it justifies him saying that..

This is what he said in response to Tony Snow

Late 10/30, Kerry issued a response to criticism from WH press. sec. Tony Snow: "If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize the more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they're crazy. This is the classic G.O.P. playbook. I'm sick and tired of these despicable Republican attacks that always seem to come from those who never can be found to serve in war, but love to attack those who did."

MrsSpringsteen said:

"If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize the more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they're crazy. This is the classic G.O.P. playbook. I'm sick and tired of these despicable Republican attacks that always seem to come from those who never can be found to serve in war, but love to attack those who did."

that's some great spin

I also used the GI Bill, went to college, and now I'm back as an officer. I am also using Tuition Assistance to take seminary classes.

This is definitely insulting, but not surprising. Here in Northern California there is a general disdain for service members. Most of it stems from the professors at the universities and junior colleges in these parts. I have an ROTC friend at Berkeley that was spat upon when he was wearing his uniform for an inspection.

That’s an extreme example – but for anyone who ever drives near UC Berkeley will see signs hanging from the overpasses that make you think these folks actually hate this country and the brave women and men who sign up to protect it.

This is on the Drudge Report. It is really outrageous that John Kerry said that, why on earth would he say that?

FLASH: McCain Calls On Kerry To Apologize
Tue Oct 31 2006 11:43:14 ET

Senator Kerry owes an apology to the many thousands of Americans serving in Iraq, who answered their country's call because they are patriots and not because of any deficiencies in their education. Americans from all backgrounds, well off and less fortunate, with high school diplomas and graduate degrees, take seriously their duty to our country, and risk their lives today to defend the rest of us in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere.

They all deserve our respect and deepest gratitude for their service. The suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq, is an insult to every soldier serving in combat, and should deeply offend any American with an ounce of appreciation for what they suffer and risk so that the rest of us can sleep more comfortably at night. Without them, we wouldn't live in a country where people securely possess all their God-given rights, including the right to express insensitive, ill-considered and uninformed remarks.

This is what he meant to say it came out wrong. But he should apologize anyway.

“I can’t overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don’t study, if you aren’t smart, if you’re intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq.” - Senator John Kerry

Scarletwine said:

“I can’t overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don’t study, if you aren’t smart, if you’re intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq.” - Senator John Kerry

Is this quote actually from John Kerry or is it what you thought he meant to say?

Scarletwine said:

Well if that could actually be proven to be what he meant to say, then I agree 100% :D

After reading your post I do see how it could have been possible that he actually meant to say get US stuck, but obviously that's not what he said. Now I really want to see it in the context of the entire speech. If he meant Bush got stuck in Iraq. I just can't imagine that John Kerry would actually say that about fellow soldiers.

I don't understand why he wouldn't just say that he misspoke and didn't mean at all to say that, and maybe produce the text of his speech if he has it, rather than just say all that other stuff. It just makes him look guilty.

If this is accurate and it really was THEN he said, well he was talking about Bush/poking fun at him in the prior sentences. So maybe he poked fun at Bush as far as intelligence and all that in the one liners- in that context the stuck in Iraq would make sense, that he meant that Bush got stuck/got us stuck.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15499174/

"The Massachusetts senator, who is considering another presidential run in 2008, had opened his speech at Pasadena City College with several one-liners, joking at one point that Bush had lived in Texas but now “lives in a state of denial.”

Then he said: “You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

I believe it was a botched joke, no way would he ever make a statement like that

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/31/kerry.mccain/index.html

Kerry later said the remark was a "botched joke" meant to target the president, not U.S. troops.

A Kerry aide told CNN that the prepared statement, which had been designed to criticize President Bush, "was mangled in delivery."

Kerry was supposed to say, "I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq."

MrsSpringsteen said:
I believe it was a botched joke, no way would he ever make a statement like that

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/31/kerry.mccain/index.html

Kerry later said the remark was a "botched joke" meant to target the president, not U.S. troops.

A Kerry aide told CNN that the prepared statement, which had been designed to criticize President Bush, "was mangled in delivery."

Kerry was supposed to say, "I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq."

Considering that he voted to send us there - I can see the humor.

Did he vote to send us there based upon faulty information? I won't say lies..

Yes he did, but that doesn't mean he can't criticize Bush for what is going on there now, years later.

"My name is John Kerry, and I'm REPORTING FOR DUTY!!!"

I heard his first comments about our troops, and then his response to the criticism of it. Unbelievable. His statement definitely did not come across as a joke, at all. He should apologize immediately, then maybe this embarrassment can blow over.

AEON said:
I also used the GI Bill, went to college, and now I'm back as an officer. I am also using Tuition Assistance to take seminary classes.

I've always actually wondered how many "kids" who decide they're joining to use the GI Bill end up going to college in the end? I've known a couple of guys who joined and they said their personal experience was that a small proportion of their buddies went back to university at some point. I'd love to see actual numbers on it, though, rather than anecdotal experience.

I could not have achieved the little I have achieved without my 8 years of service in the reserves.

My country treated me well for me service.
---------------

I am popeye the sailor man...

Last edited:
This is his final answer - way to go and put it like it should be. He uses the same joke and left out the word "us"

I can only wish he had been so forceful and clear in 04.

As for shooting ourselves in the foot. bush couldn't even get the name of the guy he was on stage for the other day. He called him three different names. Must not have been wearing his hidden microphone.

See the update at the bottom
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor-marsh/kerrys-mangled-statement_b_32911.html

And this is the level of civility the value group has brought to our political discourse.

"If he doesn't apologize we're going to beat him to death until he does..."

- Rep. John Boehner - GOP Majority Leader to John Gibson on Fox News at 5.20pm ET

Sort of like Allen's staffers today on a constituent

In the context of what he was saying it makes sense. Only when it is taken out of that context does it appear to be a slur against troops not leadership.

I don't get the big deal, unless people don't understand context. :shrug:

I'm kind of confused as to all the outrage. He made a somewhat lame joke directed towards Bush's level of education and this has what to do with the military? :eyebrow: I can't say how happy I am not to be in the US during the last week before elections. Absolutely poisonous environment.

should be good for at least 3-4 days on hannity and limbaugh

maybe they can get the Kerry swiftboat ads up again

also, remember Kerry speaks the language of the cheese eating surrender monkeys :yes:

He shouldn't apologize for a damn thing. He did nothing wrong. If people interpret it incorrectly, that's their fault, not his.

Fucking partisian politicians blowing something stupid completely out of proportion.

Shame on those of you that actually think John Kerry owes anybody an apology.

It is absolutely unbelievable that nobody is demanding that Bush apologize to all of the parents who lost their children because of this pointless war, but as soon as a bad joke gets taken out of context, Kerry is crucified.

Again, Kerry has nothing to apologize for.

this reminds me of the time when Lynne Cheney said it was a "tawdry trick" when Kerry said nice things about how much they love their daughter.

Back
Top Bottom