MERGED--> terrorists hit mosque... + Pakistanis Storm Mosque - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by struckpx
that picture was in the newspaper here as well I think. that was actually interesting to see. you don't see that in a lot of other middle eastern countries.
Political cartoons, you mean? I don't know about that; I doubt there are too many countries where the sight of a self-proclaimed popular resistance leader getting busted as he attempted to flee the Big Showdown in drag wouldn't invite a skewering from the media.

And Pakistan is very much a South Asian country, geographically, ethnically, culturally etc., not a Middle Eastern one.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Political cartoons, you mean? I don't know about that; I doubt there are too many countries where the sight of a self-proclaimed popular resistance leader getting busted as he attempted to flee the Big Showdown in drag wouldn't invite a skewering from the media.

And Pakistan is very much a South Asian country, geographically, ethnically, culturally etc., not a Middle Eastern one.
no, there was a picture of the mosque w/ the women police officers. sorry, i knew it wasn't part of the middle east. freudian slip.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:

sorry, i knew it wasn't part of the middle east. freudian slip.
?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

?
a freudian slip is where you accidentally say something you didn't mean too
Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Not exactly.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:

a freudian slip is where you accidentally say something you didn't mean too
0 for 2
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

He can always look it up, it's not worth getting derisive about.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I genuinely wanted to know why sorting Pakistan with the Arabs would be a Freudian slip - it's possible there's a reason for it....
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

0 for 2
come again.....
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

come again.....
You were wrong about Pakistan and Freudian slip, don't get me wrong I'm glad someone your age is interested in politics and debate, but your arrogance mixed with misinformation can be very offputting...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You were wrong about Pakistan and Freudian slip, don't get me wrong I'm glad someone your age is interested in politics and debate, but your arrogance mixed with misinformation can be very offputting...
whatever. that is what a freudian slip is, but you can think of it what you may. and your unwilling to accept others views is quite irritating as well
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

whatever. that is what a freudian slip is, but you can think of it what you may. and your unwilling to accept others views is quite irritating as well
It's not simply "saying something you don't mean to", there's an unconscious aspect to it. Take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip

This is what I'm saying, after two people told you you weren't correct, you didn't even bother to look it up. That's arrogance.

I'm willing to accept all views as long as they are backed in logic and reasoning. I have many, actually most, conservative friends, so you may want to get to know me a little better before judging me.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #28
Refugee

Amazing. There was a Category 2 or 3 Cyclone last Teusday that killed 200+ people and displaced *1.3 million* (NOT 200,000--flimsy buildings there, a lot of damage even from minor storms) which affected parts of India as well, there were thousands of people rioting and attacking local gov't offices becuause of tardy aid and relief, the whole world has been looking at footage from the natural disaster all last week, and our media virtually ignored it until today, when there was a TERRORISM INCIDENT.

Just goes to show you what's really important to us. No doubt Middle America is shaking its head and wondering what is up this time with those Wacky Pakis (if they can even locate it on a map). Not to sound cynical but might not the aftermath of the cyclone have inadvertently triggered this? It's possible....but it's not important for us to be reminded of...well, certain things.

That said, my heart goes out to the people of that poor coutry, and I will pray for the dead and displaced, and hope that there is a peaceful solution and that Mutsherrif can survive all this. That guy is seriously giving Arafat a run for his money at having nine lives-political and otherwise.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 AM   #29
Forum Moderator

I don't think the cyclone had anything to do with the Lal Masjid standoff (which has been going on since January, and the mosque was a flashpoint long before that) coming to a head; the turning point was the abduction of the Chinese nationals by madrassa students last week, followed by an incident a few days back where some of them attempted to occupy a nearby government building.

As far as coverage of the cyclone, yes, it's been minimal here compared to there (though there certainly have been articles in all the major US dailies about it), but frankly, if cynically, I think that's mostly because a cyclone devastating some part of South Asia or another isn't an unusual enough event to be considered "big news" here. Granted they're somewhat less common in Pakistan, but Bangladesh and neighboring regions of India normally lose hundreds of people every year to cyclones, and that doesn't generally get much coverage either, unless the death toll climbs into the thousands. And that's not counting all the lives lost annually in all three countries to monsoons, tidal bores, tornadoes and so on...

Musharraf may survive politically in some capacity or another, but it seems all but inevitable now that it would have to be through a 'genuine' power-sharing arrangement; just not clear with who yet. Although as Judah alluded to, the military in general will likely continue to cast a long shadow over the political process regardless. As it is there are rumors circulating right now that the powerful ISI (military intelligence service) had connections within the Lal Masjid mosque all along, and has been actively manipulating the crisis from the beginning.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:

for what it's worth

It does fit the definition for me

If one has a "fixation" on the "middle east" and therefore, mistakenly associates "radical Muslims" with that location regardless of where they were located.

Quote:
A Freudian slip is not limited to a slip of the tongue, or to sexual desires. It can extend to our word perception where we might read a word incorrectly because of our fixations. It is important to note that these slips are semi-conscious. This is to say that these thoughts are consciously repressed and then unconsciously released.