MERGED: Terri Schiavo, Continued + Terri Schiavo (Died 3/31/2005)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teta040 said:
All I know is....Terri is one strong individual. When she finally departs this earth, and is finally granted peace, she will shine the brighter in Heaven for all her sufferings.

She is like Andersen's Little Mermaid, whose spirit ascended from the foam and kissed both the Prince who had betrayed her and his new bride, which she had hoped to be, and forgave all. The "daughters of the air" are waiting to take her away. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Find a copy of the origional fairy tale, the REAL version, which Disney massacred. You will weep through the last 5 pages.)

A silent, smiling, small army of angels is hovering over the bed and around that hospice, waiting, waiting, to take her and lead her up and away to her Heavenly reward. They will say, Be at peace. Your suffering is over, you are in grace. Let all the murmering cease, let this be your eternal release. And she will ascend, away and above all the the lamentations and the sorrows of this divided Earth, with nothing but a gentle smile for all of us left in this Vale of Tears. She will pass through the Light and the Grey Rain Curtain will be turned back, and she will hear a sweet singing coming over the water. (Tolkien's words, that last, not mine.) And when she stands before the Throne, young and beautiful again, I have no doubt that the Master Himself might even descend and envelop her in His arms. And He will say: "Welcome Home at last. It is not for you to right the wrongs. It is not for you, to fault them. Here is your rest. Be at peace."

What a beautiful analogy. Don't let anyone make you feel silly for writing it :hug:

Yeah, that was quite an interesting post, Teta-very beautiful images and everything. If heaven does indeed turn out to be like that, with music and all that good stuff...it'd be quite the place to go when all is said and done.

Anywho, rest in peace, Terri :(. And I do extend condolances to her family and friends, too.

House Republican Leader Tom DeLay condemned the state and federal judges who refused to prolong her life, and he warned that lawmakers "will look at an arrogant and out-of-control judiciary that thumbs its nose at Congress and the president."

Funny. I tend to think we have an arrogant and out-of-control Republican majority.

I wish this had never become a political issue. Terri was never the first and nor will she be the last person to be unhooked from a feeding tube. This was an especially awful media circus, and the parasitic politicians, as usual, came to feast.

I hope Terri can finally get the rest that she has long deserved.

Melon

It is sad that she was known, and will remain known, not as an individual, but as a pawn in a very unsavory game. I glad that for her at least, it is finally over.

indra said:
It is sad that she was known, and will remain known, not as an individual, but as a pawn in a very unsavory game. I glad that for her at least, it is finally over.

I think this has to be the truest statement in this thread.

Folks: I found the author of that book.

It's called "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. copyright 2004. Go to Amazon.com and type in the title and it's right there...I HIGHLY suggest you read this. I thought it was going to be boring, but it REALLY knocked my socks off. I might even say it's a life-changing book. Randy's main theory is that Christians don't spend enough time thinking about what Heaven is going to be like because we've all been taught a certain thing about it and have this image about it and thus it seems to be a nice, but really boring place compared to our life here on earth. I mean, we'll feel the Rapture and all that, but it doeasn't fire us up. Well, he goes out out his way with allsorts of Scriptural evidece to say that it ISN'T going to be boring....in fact, hoe exciting it's going to be. Some of this stuff is quite surprising. ALl I can say is: it;s one of the VERY FEW "Christian"-themed books that I recommend to the most detatched layperson. It isn't like these flashy things these superstar "Left-BEhind" types are writing. He uses allsorts of quotes from polualr culture too.

And thanks for what I wrote about Terri. I stand by it. And I have no doubt it is now true.

What Tom DeLay said scares me to :censored: death. Does he really mean this in a general way, or is he tailoring his language to respond to the Legions of the Evangelical faithful, who were thwarted this time? If he is really serious, then God help this country. I tremble for our future. What is to become of us? When the very institutions that uphold this country are treated as if they are a miltary enemy to be conqured and vaquished? When all of this country is supposed to be under the total control of the more radical elelemts of one party, right down to the local courts, who will be strippe dof power..when the minority party in gov't is likewise stripped of its power..my God, if they had their way, the Senate could look like the Roman Senate under Nero (Powerless).

Who will be our Cincinnatus? Polls show that two-thirds of the country was against the Feds meddling...hopefully they will pay more attention now to the effort to destroy the mechanisms by which minority parties have say in national affairs..the ongoing assault to the Founding Fathers'system of checks and balances.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
What Tom DeLay said scares me to :censored: death. Does he really mean this in a general way, or is he tailoring his language to respond to the Legions of the Evangelical faithful, who were thwarted this time? If he is really serious, then God help this country. I tremble for our future. What is to become of us? When the very institutions that uphold this country are treated as if they are a miltary enemy to be conqured and vaquished? When all of this country is supposed to be under the total control of the more radical elelemts of one party, right down to the local courts, who will be strippe dof power..when the minority party in gov't is likewise stripped of its power..my God, if they had their way, the Senate could look like the Roman Senate under Nero (Powerless).

That sounds lke a pretty dark scenario. I'm glad we have elections to thwart these evildoers before they kill us all

Yeah but apparantly democracy has to be scaled to make it fairer ~ maybe minorities should be given a multiplied vote to make it sporting.

A_Wanderer said:
Yeah but apparantly democracy has to be scaled to make it fairer ~ maybe minorities should be given a multiplied vote to make it sporting.
Sarcasm?

Sarcasm but inspired by a real statement in a letter in 'The Age' about democracy being good, but we should allow others to make choices when it delivers more equal outcomes.

here's an excerpt from an article about Terri..

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. -- Theresa Marie Schiavo strived for acceptance during the first 26 years of her life, struggling with her weight and self-image as a girl, then finding love as a young woman, only to have it all snatched away just as she prepared to start a familly.

Over the 15 years of disability that ensued -- and especially at her death yesterday at the age of 41 -- she became the focal point of a heart-rending national debate that forced Americans to confront questions about the sanctity of life and the limits of medical care.

Schiavo was born Dec. 3, 1963, in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and named after St. Theresa of Avila by her Catholic parents, Robert and Mary Schindler.

Her father was a salesman, her mother a homemaker. Their daughter -- the eldest of the three Schindler children -- was a bashful young girl who drew pictures of horses and dogs, particularly of her beloved Labrador, Bucky.

From a young age, Terri was overweight. Her family said she would weep while buying school clothes, worried that classmates would ridicule her size. When she graduated from Archbishop Wood High School in 1981, she weighed more than 200 pounds.

But then she made a change. She went on a diet, dropping to 150 pounds. She dyed her hair blonde and started wearing more form-fitting clothes, showing a self-confidence her family had never seen before.

During a psychology class in her second semester at Bucks County Community College, she met another student, who would change her life: Michael Schiavo. He has said that it was love at first sight. The Schindler family stood on the lawn and applauded when Michael picked her up for her first-ever date.

The couple dated for two years, then married on Nov. 10, 1984. Terri had written to singer John Denver, a favorite of hers, asking him to perform at the wedding. The fact the pop star did not respond did not ruin her big day, though. In photos from the occasion, the bride flashed a wide grin.

Finances were tight for the new couple. He worked as a manager at McDonald's, she as a clerk at the Prudential Life Insurance Company. Terri, who loved animals, wanted to be a veterinarian.

In 1986, the Schiavos moved to St. Petersburg, Fla., where her parents had retired. Terri continued to shed weight. By age 26, the 5-foot-4-inch woman weighed 110 pounds; she proudly wore a bikini in photos. To maintain her figure, she dieted strictly and drank nearly a gallon of iced tea daily. She devoured Danielle Steele potboilers and drove a T-top Trans Am.

The couple received fertility treatments in the late 1980s, according to court documents, but they did not have children.

drhark said:

That sounds lke a pretty dark scenario. I'm glad we have elections to thwart these evildoers before they kill us all

through gerrymandering, Delay is making sure we don't have to bother with elections.

Irvine511 said:

through gerrymandering, Delay is making sure we don't have to bother with elections.

Democrats are little adorable gerrymander-free angels. They wouldn't dream of ever doing such a thing.

First - RIP for Terry, she's in a much better place.

DeLay's latest threats.

JUDICIARY
DeLay's Reckless Threat

House leader Tom DeLay has issued a chillingly irresponsible threat against the judges involved in the Schiavo case. Following Terri Schiavo's death, DeLay released a statement warning that "The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today." This vague and provocative comment came in the midst of a broadside of attacks against those judges – several of them self-described conservatives appointed by conservative presidents – whom DeLay said typified "an arrogant, out of control, unaccountable judiciary." The New York Times reports that Sen. Edward Kennedy called DeLay's statement "irresponsible and reprehensible," and urged that "at a time when emotions are running high, Mr. DeLay needs to make clear that he is not advocating violence against anyone. People in this case have already had their lives threatened." Sen. Kennedy is right. Whatever his agenda or personal political troubles, Tom DeLay must disavow his irresponsible rhetoric.

THREATS AGAINST SCHIAVO JUDGES: DeLay's vague threat against judges yesterday wasn't just offensive, it was dangerous, especially given the serious threats against judges and others involved in the Schiavo case. Florida Pinellas County Circuit Court Judge George Greer has been "under 24-hour protection by two U.S. marshals due to increased threats against his life by those unhappy with his handling of the Schiavo case." Last Thursday, police arrested an Illinois man they said robbed a Florida gun store as part of an attempt to "rescue Terri Schiavo." The next day, FBI officials took into custody a North Carolina man for placing a $250,000 bounty "on the head of Michael Schiavo" and another $50,000 to murder Judge Greer. And police yesterday said they had "logged several bomb threats" to the hospice where Schiavo died and "the circuit and federal courts that refused to order her feeding tube restored."

EXTREME RHETORIC: Unfortunately, DeLay was just one of several high-profile conservatives who "renewed the combative tone they had used to advance the Schiavo legislation." Dr. James Dobson, founder of the conservative evangelical group Focus on the Family, said "the judges who would not stop the removal of Ms. Schiavo's feeding tube were guilty not only of judicial malfeasance - but of the cold-blooded, cold-hearted extermination of an innocent human life.'" Dr. Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention said of those who opposed congressional intervention in the case, "If they want to be vigorous defenders of Michael Schiavo and his right to have his wife killed by starving and dehydration, my words to them are 'Go ahead, be Michael's defenders' - and I wish on each of them a son-in-law like Michael Schiavo."

VIOLENCE AGAINST JUDGES: Such incendiary statements are even more inappropriate considering the recent high-profile acts of violence against judges, including the murders of the husband and mother of a federal judge by an embittered ex-defendant. Warning against such rhetoric, the American Bar Association last week issued a statement expressing concern that commentators had "crossed the line in using this tragedy to needlessly, gratuitously and viciously attack" judges. "They are not killers as some have called them, nor are they activists bent on pushing an ideological agenda. They are simply dedicated public servants called on to serve as impartial arbiters in a very difficult case."

There have also been bomb threats against the Hospice. I suppose those inside aren't to be protected from death.

More chilling for any Republican:
ETHICS – THE DELAY LITMUS TEST: Powerful right-wing organizations have a message to conservative politicians: join in the smear campaign against Tom DeLay's critics or forget about our support. Morton Blackwell, a board member of the American Conservative Union, said, "conservative leaders across the country are working now to make sure that any politician who hopes to have conservative support in the future had better be in the forefront as we attack those who attack Tom DeLay."

Scarletwine said:
First - RIP for Terry, she's in a much better place.

DeLay's latest threats.

JUDICIARY
DeLay's Reckless Threat

House leader Tom DeLay has issued a chillingly irresponsible threat against the judges involved in the Schiavo case. Following Terri Schiavo's death, DeLay released a statement warning that "The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today." This vague and provocative comment came in the midst of a broadside of attacks against those judges – several of them self-described conservatives appointed by conservative presidents – whom DeLay said typified "an arrogant, out of control, unaccountable judiciary." The New York Times reports that Sen. Edward Kennedy called DeLay's statement "irresponsible and reprehensible," and urged that "at a time when emotions are running high, Mr. DeLay needs to make clear that he is not advocating violence against anyone. People in this case have already had their lives threatened." Sen. Kennedy is right. Whatever his agenda or personal political troubles, Tom DeLay must disavow his irresponsible rhetoric.

THREATS AGAINST SCHIAVO JUDGES: DeLay's vague threat against judges yesterday wasn't just offensive, it was dangerous, especially given the serious threats against judges and others involved in the Schiavo case. Florida Pinellas County Circuit Court Judge George Greer has been "under 24-hour protection by two U.S. marshals due to increased threats against his life by those unhappy with his handling of the Schiavo case." Last Thursday, police arrested an Illinois man they said robbed a Florida gun store as part of an attempt to "rescue Terri Schiavo." The next day, FBI officials took into custody a North Carolina man for placing a $250,000 bounty "on the head of Michael Schiavo" and another $50,000 to murder Judge Greer. And police yesterday said they had "logged several bomb threats" to the hospice where Schiavo died and "the circuit and federal courts that refused to order her feeding tube restored."

EXTREME RHETORIC: Unfortunately, DeLay was just one of several high-profile conservatives who "renewed the combative tone they had used to advance the Schiavo legislation." Dr. James Dobson, founder of the conservative evangelical group Focus on the Family, said "the judges who would not stop the removal of Ms. Schiavo's feeding tube were guilty not only of judicial malfeasance - but of the cold-blooded, cold-hearted extermination of an innocent human life.'" Dr. Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention said of those who opposed congressional intervention in the case, "If they want to be vigorous defenders of Michael Schiavo and his right to have his wife killed by starving and dehydration, my words to them are 'Go ahead, be Michael's defenders' - and I wish on each of them a son-in-law like Michael Schiavo."

VIOLENCE AGAINST JUDGES: Such incendiary statements are even more inappropriate considering the recent high-profile acts of violence against judges, including the murders of the husband and mother of a federal judge by an embittered ex-defendant. Warning against such rhetoric, the American Bar Association last week issued a statement expressing concern that commentators had "crossed the line in using this tragedy to needlessly, gratuitously and viciously attack" judges. "They are not killers as some have called them, nor are they activists bent on pushing an ideological agenda. They are simply dedicated public servants called on to serve as impartial arbiters in a very difficult case."

There have also been bomb threats against the Hospice. I suppose those inside aren't to be protected from death.

More chilling for any Republican:
ETHICS – THE DELAY LITMUS TEST: Powerful right-wing organizations have a message to conservative politicians: join in the smear campaign against Tom DeLay's critics or forget about our support. Morton Blackwell, a board member of the American Conservative Union, said, "conservative leaders across the country are working now to make sure that any politician who hopes to have conservative support in the future had better be in the forefront as we attack those who attack Tom DeLay."

What a bunch of fricken' nutjobs. :tsk:

be warned. the impending theocracy. we must keep it at bay.

i'm just waiting for the first "activist" judge to be assassinated.

and for Delay's response.

Classic example of making a mountain out of a molehill.
That whole article is based on one line from Tom DeLay:
"The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today."

Of course Kennedy, ever the divisive politician blew it out of proportion with this bit of political pandering scare tactic:
"at a time when emotions are running high, Mr. DeLay needs to make clear that he is not advocating violence against anyone. People in this case have already had their lives threatened."

Kennedy is the only one who said anything about violence.

DeLay was referring to a review of the constitutional power of judges and the checks that Congress might use to censure members of the judiciary who overstep their bounds, as he believes they did by ignoring an act of Congress.

Impending theocracy...... life must be torture for all the delusional folks out there

I don't think Kennedy's delusional, he's just a has been career politician who thinks that you are

Back
Top Bottom