MERGED: Terri Schiavo, Continued + Terri Schiavo (Died 3/31/2005) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Nothing like facts to get in the way of religion, eh?

Melon

Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

i deep.

through all the hysterics, fact will find it's way.

and poor terri ... if she were able to think, what would she think about all this?

Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:55 AM
All I know is....Terri is one strong individual. When she finally departs this earth, and is finally granted peace, she will shine the brighter in Heaven for all her sufferings.

She is like Andersen's Little Mermaid, whose spirit ascended from the foam and kissed both the Prince who had betrayed her and his new bride, which she had hoped to be, and forgave all. The "daughters of the air" are waiting to take her away. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Find a copy of the origional fairy tale, the REAL version, which Disney massacred. You will weep through the last 5 pages.)

A silent, smiling, small army of angels is hovering over the bed and around that hospice, waiting, waiting, to take her and lead her up and away to her Heavenly reward. They will say, Be at peace. Your suffering is over, you are in grace. Let all the murmering cease, let this be your eternal release. And she will ascend, away and above all the the lamentations and the sorrows of this divided Earth, with nothing but a gentle smile for all of us left in this Vale of Tears. She will pass through the Light and the Grey Rain Curtain will be turned back, and she will hear a sweet singing coming over the water. (Tolkien's words, that last, not mine.) And when she stands before the Throne, young and beautiful again, I have no doubt that the Master Himself might even descend and envelop her in His arms. And He will say: "Welcome Home at last. It is not for you to right the wrongs. It is not for you, to fault them. Here is your rest. Be at peace."
Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

do you really believe that? literally? thrones and singing and such?

honestly. i'm curious.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #20
Refugee

Hey, I'm Irish. We get carried away at times.

And FYI, in case you're wondering, I'm drinking only iced tea right now.

IF you HAVE to be technical about it!!!

(Yes, I believe He sits on a throne..and the singing is standard, to me, for all souls entering Heaven....b/c that will be the greatest thing about Heaven for me: the beautiful music. And IMO, all kinds of music have beauty in them. It isn't going to be a special song in her honor!!

I can't believe I'm talking about this!! I mean, I was trying to write something beautiful about a poor woman who has been wrongly used as a political pawn, by EVERYBODY. I'm literal in what I hope for her, but geez, if you want a discussion on what Heaven looks like, go to "the Goal Is Soul"...I wasn't going to elaborate!!!!!

(There's a great new book out about this very subject, which I've just finished reading. That's why it;s on my mind I guess. Forgot the author but it's a bestseller, simply called 'Heaven". It has a white cover with a little pic of a Japanse-style bridge over a stream on the cover. If you go to Amazon you'll get pics of book covers and find it that way. It has a lot of surprising stuff to say, and will change your mind. Point number one of the book: Heaven is NOT going to be a boring place where people fly around in white robes and sit on clouds all day playing a harp!!

Interesting even for non-Christians to read, and It's a rare book I'd recommend like that.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 PM   #21
Acrobat

With all those good facts on your side, one wouldn't think you'd be opposed to another review of the case (after all these years) as mandated by the US congress.

That's a nice CT picture. What it tells me is that her brain is severely damaged. It does not prove the brain is 100% "liquid".
In addition, it's only one cross section.

Where's Terri's EEG reading? Compared to the EEG of a severely brain damaged person who's not in a vegetative state?

The CTs are all over the internet, I'm sure someone must have the EEG.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Hey, I'm Irish. We get carried away at times.

And FYI, in case you're wondering, I'm drinking only iced tea right now.

IF you HAVE to be technical about it!!!

(Yes, I believe He sits on a throne..and the singing is standard, to me, for all souls entering Heaven....b/c that will be the greatest thing about Heaven for me: the beautiful music. And IMO, all kinds of music have beauty in them. It isn't going to be a special song in her honor!!

I can't believe I'm talking about this!! I mean, I was trying to write something beautiful about a poor woman who has been wrongly used as a political pawn, by EVERYBODY. I'm literal in what I hope for her, but geez, if you want a discussion on what Heaven looks like, go to "the Goal Is Soul"...I wasn't going to elaborate!!!!!

(There's a great new book out about this very subject, which I've just finished reading. That's why it;s on my mind I guess. Forgot the author but it's a bestseller, simply called 'Heaven". It has a white cover with a little pic of a Japanse-style bridge over a stream on the cover. If you go to Amazon you'll get pics of book covers and find it that way. It has a lot of surprising stuff to say, and will change your mind. Point number one of the book: Heaven is NOT going to be a boring place where people fly around in white robes and sit on clouds all day playing a harp!!

Interesting even for non-Christians to read, and It's a rare book I'd recommend like that.

you answered my question -- much thanks.

it was beautifully written, which is why i was wondering if it was prose or poetry or journalism.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
RIP Terri

Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

may she rest in peace

Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said the couple was with their daughter's body and praying.

Thursday morning, O' Donnell said that Schiavo was in her final hours of life, and police have prohibited her blood relatives from spending time with her.

O'Donnell, one of the family's spiritual advisers, said that her parents and siblings were "begging to be at her bedside...but are being denied."

Michael Schiavo was Terri's guardian and controlled who may visit her and when.

Apparently they were even willing to be in the room with him so they could be with her when she died, but he denied them permission To clarify, this is what is being said NOW, it has not been officially confirmed.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:12 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It is hard to imagine the amount of bad blood that must exist between both parties as a result of the last 15 years. Very sad on all sides.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Terri Schiavo

Terri Schiavo has died
Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EST (1507 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman who became the centerpiece of a national right-to-die battle, died Thursday morning, nearly two weeks after doctors removed the feeding tube that had sustained her for more than a decade.

Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said the couple was with their daughter's body and praying.

Wednesday, the Schindlers lost what their lawyer described as their "last meaningful legal appeal" in their desperate battle to have their brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube reinserted.

The U.S. Supreme Court late Wednesday refused once again to hear an emergency appeal from the Schindlers.

Their lawyer, David Gibbs, heard the high court had rejected the appeal during a news conference outside the Pinellas Park, Florida, hospice where Schiavo was receiving care.

"It appears that that will be the last meaningful legal appeal unless something comes up," Gibbs had said. "Fundamentally, the decision of the Florida courts will remain unchanged and the federal courts have declined to get involved."

Thursday morning, O' Donnell said that Schiavo was in her final hours of life, and police have prohibited her blood relatives from spending time with her.

O'Donnell, one of the family's spiritual advisers, said that her parents and siblings were "begging to be at her bedside...but are being denied."

Michael Schiavo was Terri's guardian and controlled who may visit her and when.

Pasco-Pinellas Circuit Judge George Greer in Clearwater, Florida, ordered the feeding tube removed March 18 at Michael Schiavo's request. He has said that his wife wouldn't have wanted to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a "persistent vegetative state."

The parents felt otherwise and had sought to take guardianship of their daughter from her husband. Their bitter court battles began in 1998.

"I don't understand why Michael Schiavo at some point didn't walk away," Gibbs said.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who has jurisdiction over Florida, Georgia and Alabama, and could have ruled on the petition on his own, referred the appeal to the entire Supreme Court at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.

There was no breakdown of the vote, and the high court issued no explanation for its decision. The petition had been filed earlier in the night.

It was the second time in a week the high court refused to hear the case, and the sixth time since 2001.

The Schindlers "can know they have done everything possible under the law in letting government know that they wanted to fight for the life of their daughter," Gibbs said.

In his Supreme Court filing, Gibbs and other lawyers for the parents wrote that removing the tube represented "an unconstitutional deprivation of Terri Schiavo's constitutional right to life."

The Supreme Court's rejection came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia, rejected the parents' petition 9-2. That court denied three similar requests from the parents last week.

In a concurring opinion of the Atlanta court's latest ruling, Judge Stanley Birch said Congress "chose to overstep constitutional boundaries" by passing a law to force the Schiavo case into federal courts.

Judges Gerald Tjoflat and Charles Wilson dissented, with Tjoflat writing that the Schindlers deserved a hearing on the merits of their argument.

On March 21, three days after Schiavo's feeding tube was removed, Congress passed a bill transferring jurisdiction of the case from Florida state court to a U.S. District Court, for a federal judge to review. President Bush signed it into law the next day. But federal courts refused to overturn the state courts' decision.

2002 videotapes released
The Pinellas County Probate Court has released nine of 11 videotapes of Terri Schiavo recorded in the summer of 2002 and shown in a Florida appeals court hearing on her medical condition.

The videos show several doctors talking to and examining Schiavo to get ready for their court testimony. The tapes were recorded from July to September 2002.

Family members, including her mother and husband, also appear in the video.

Two of the 11 tapes remain sealed by the court, but it was unclear why.

In October 2002, Florida's 2nd District Court of Appeal heard a week of testimony from five doctors who examined her, including two picked by Michael Schiavo, two by her parents and one picked by the court.

Three doctors, including one appointed by the court, testified that Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery. The two doctors selected by the Schindlers testified they thought she could recover.

The appellate court concurred with a lower court decision that Schiavo had no hope of recovery and that her feeding tube could be removed.

Terri Schiavo collapsed in her home in 1990, suffering from heart failure that led to severe brain damage because of lack of oxygen.

Her husband has said she suffered from bulimia, an eating disorder, that resulted in a potassium deficiency that triggered the heart failure.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Hopefully, Terri is in a better place. RIP
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #28
Refugee

God Bless Terri and her family.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:54 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I know it's wrong to post this now, I apologize, but here is some information about what an autopsy can/cannot determine

Diagnosis will not be verified by autopsy

By Donna Leinwand, USA TODAY

Terri Schiavo's husband hopes an autopsy upon her death will put to rest any questions about whether his wife was in a persistent vegetative state, but doctors say science won't provide a simple answer.

A brain autopsy can catalogue massive cell damage, abnormalities and tumors. But it won't pinpoint a specific spot that proves that Schiavo had lost awareness of the world around her.

George Felos, the attorney for Schiavo's husband, Michael, has said that a Florida medical examiner has agreed to perform an autopsy after Terri Schiavo dies. Florida courts have ruled that she is in a persistent vegetative state.

That condition is a clinical diagnosis and cannot by confirmed by an autopsy, said Curtis Doberstein, associate professor of clinical neurosurgery at Brown Medical School in Providence. The most important test would be a neurological examination before she dies that observes her consciousness, perceptions and reflexes, among other things, he said.

"What the autopsy will show is the extensiveness of the injury," Doberstein said.

An autopsy of the brain could take as long as two months. After an initial visual examination, the brain would be soaked for one to two weeks in a preservative solution. Sections could then be examined under a microscope.

Schiavo has undergone neurological tests and CT scans to diagnose the extent of her brain damage, according to court documents. The doctor who performs the autopsy may be able to identify some areas of the brain most damaged without using a microscope.

Barbara Crain, a neuropathologist and associate professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said if the damage is severe enough, "it would be bad enough for a pathologist to see with the naked eye."

For a patient in a persistent vegetative state, the critical brain area is the cerebral cortex. When the brain is deprived of oxygen, as Schiavo's was in 1990, massive numbers of brain cells can die in certain parts of the brain. But some functions, including reflexes like blinking, remain intact.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 AM   #30
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

When your cortex is liquid,
what do you mean with "liquid".... liquid like what? like water?...

that sounds really scary

anyway... she's free now. God bless her