MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Sometimes I just have to think, what a fucked up country.

Why is Congress wasting it's time with these ridiculous events?

It's tragic, but the women is dead, set her free. You're just torturing her keeping her in this state.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I agree 100% with every word melon has said in this thread and remain curious about the question he raised about why so many Christians are so afraid of death. I have sat at the bedside of several dying people and those that were Christians--mostly older family members--seemed to be scared shitless and fought to hang on, making it an excruciating experience for everyone, while a couple of others who had serious spiritual practices to which they were very devoted for many years surrendered peacefully. When my best friend died 3 years ago from lung cancer, he was at home on his daybed and clearly struggling to breathe. I witnessed his partner turning up the oxygen but my friend reached up, yanked the oxygen away, and died moments later with a smile on his face. Now of course these are just a few of my own personal experiences and I don't mean to make mass generalizations from them but it does make me wonder. Why don't the Schiavo's joyously embrace their tortured daughter's opportunity to be liberated from her hell and meet her maker? You can do that and grieve the personal loss at the same time. I just don't get it.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
my guess is that Mr. and Mrs. Schiavo are very sincere Christians, and they are probably devestated by the virtual death of their daughter in ways that they haven't even begun to comprehend. along comes a group of highly politicized christians who see links between this and the abortion issue, and exploit their grief for political ends. thus Mr. and Mrs. Schiavo, and poor Terry, become pawns of an enormous, well-funded political machine.

it's all rather sickening.

let her go. let her soul free.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what a waste of time, energy, and
Maybe Congress is just afraid that if being in a persistent vegetative state for over ten years is a legitimate reason for euthanasia, they might be next.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

Maybe Congress is just afraid that if being in a persistent vegetative state for over ten years is a legitimate reason for euthanasia, they might be next.

zing!

reminds me of an Onion article titled, "Congress to be replaced by Automated Hands"
Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Is that some of that famed British humour?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Hehe...ooh...ouch. .

I think I'd have to agree with Irvine on this one. It really is sucky that there's groups out there that are trying to use this for their own political gain...but that shouldn't be too surprising, as we are talking about politicians, here, after all....

Angela
Old 03-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:

zing!

reminds me of an Onion article titled, "Congress to be replaced by Automated Hands"

this actually is a TRUE story

Tom DeLay calls it the nuclear option.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
my guess is that Mr. and Mrs. Schiavo are very sincere Christians, and they are probably devestated by the virtual death of their daughter in ways that they haven't even begun to comprehend. along comes a group of highly politicized christians who see links between this and the abortion issue, and exploit their grief for political ends. thus Mr. and Mrs. Schiavo, and poor Terry, become pawns of an enormous, well-funded political machine.

it's all rather sickening.

let her go. let her soul free.
I think you're probably right and I didn't mean to sound so judgmental. I just can't help but think that they would feel so much relief if they let her go. In my experience, the anticipation of the moment of death of someone who has been sick a long time is much worse than the actual event. I have never not experienced enormous relief when someone I loved died when I knew they were suffering or had suffered a long time. Of course the grieving process that follows is very difficult but there is a certain high, an actual spiritual high (or at least in my experience and I seem to have had what some would consider a lot of experience with death), that comes from being with someone the moment they die and it is that high that lets me know that, shall we say, that God is in the room and it's all good.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

Mr. and Mrs. Shiavo are Roman Catholic, but it is not against Roman Catholic doctrine to detach life support for those who have no reasonable chance of recovery. It is not considered "euthanasia," because no one is hastening her death; instead, it is just no longer impeding death.

Melon
Old 03-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Sometimes I just have to think, what a fucked up country.

Quote:
March 20, 2005

Republicans Fear Midterm Losses
Robert Novak says Republican National Committee analysts "have sent this warning to the House of Representatives: The party is in danger of losing 25 seats in the 2006 election and, therefore, of losing control of the House for the first time since the 1994 election."
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:54 PM

Why exactly would the federal court rule any different than the other 274 judges?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Quote:
The Washington Post reported yesterday that a memo distributed to Republican senators described the Schiavo case as ``a great political issue'' that could pay dividends with Christian conservatives in the 2006 elections.

``This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue,'' the memo said, according to the Post.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #119
War Child

Apparently the federal judge had no immediate response after the 2 hour hearing.

I love how John Mccain is like gee I don't think this is politically motivated. He drives me nuts (another topic altogether)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"Terri died 15 years ago," Schiavo said, referring to the collapse and cardiac arrest that doctors say virtually destroyed her brain. "It's time for her to be with the Lord like she wanted to be."