MERGED: Terri Schiavo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvine511 said:
the other good thing about this: the GOP has overplayed their hand; i'm sensing a backlash.

and rightly so.

Heard on the radio this morning...67% disapproved of the Congressional involvement.

:up:

joyfulgirl said:

joyfulgirl didn't sleep either and neither did her officemate. What's up with that? I blame the equinox. :angry:

dunno. i'd just had a great monday as well, and topped it off by pounding out my fastest 4 miles ever on the treadmill (i have COBL to thank for that ... no better U2 song to run to).

then couldn't sleep. melatonin didn't help. neither did Ny-Quil. neither did a scotch.

so now my brain's all swirly today, and i'm slammed at work again.

(and yet, i still find time for blue crack ... )

"Terri died 15 years ago," Schiavo said, referring to the collapse and cardiac arrest that doctors say virtually destroyed her brain. "It's time for her to be with the Lord like she wanted to be."

A lot of interesting thoughts and questions raised on this board.

Unfortunately, this guy gets no sympathy from me. I'm not convinced that "until death do us part" includes death forced by your own hand.

Here's what sketches me out...

He's had two kids with another woman.

Can't marry her until he can secure a divorce from his wife.

Can't get a divorce from his wife because she's unable to sign the papers.

But if she dies...

And if it's true that the reason she had a heart attack in the first place was because he was encouraging her to stay thin...

I'm also sketched out by the long-term implications of this case. I'm glad that people here are discussing the merits of a living will. But deciding someone should die when they don't have a voice in the matter (especially considering the diametrically opposed testimonies about whether or not she wanted to die in the first place -- why did it take Michael 7 years to "remember" that his wife wanted to die?)...

As far as the judiciary intruding on the case of a man putting his wife to death -- I wonder what the judge in the Scott Peterson trial would have to say about that?

The principle that murder is wrong is regulated every day by the judicial and legislative branches of government. I'm not sure why suddenly everyone's saying this case is different...

Don't want to raise ire (esp with a grumpy Irvine :wink:), I'm just saying.

I'm not sure this was mentioned yet, but consider the irony. All this was brought on by Terri's anorexia/bulimia. And now they will starve her to death.

Hi McPhistowannabe,

Thank you so much for posting Heidi Law's statements. I literally have tears flowing out of my eyes, by just reading how Terri's husband would deny her any kind of treatment. How can he be so cruel...When, I was younger, I worked as a CNA and I know how important it is for stroke and paralized patients to have simple range of motion exercises. The muscles can shrink, causing great discomfort for the patient. I also know that when someone wants to die, they simply give up. I have seen this, first hand.

Also, when working with the Comotose and patients with Alzhemier disease, human touch and voice. Fresh air, soft music, photoghraphs, reading to the patient etc. greatly helps...You can not imagine how important this is.

I am sorry to disagree with some folks, but I believe that Terri is being treated worst than any prisoner of war. Due, to her husband. And I use that word very 'loosely' here.

And on a final note, to Heidi Law and all of the other nurses who cared for Terri. You are angels. God Bless you for loving this woman and fighting for what she wants. If...Terri really wanted to die. She would have died...well...long before now.

nbcrusader said:
I'm not sure this was mentioned yet, but consider the irony. All this was brought on by Terri's anorexia/bulimia. And now they will starve her to death.

as has been mentioned by myself, Melon, and even Irvine's father who is an MD, this is a 100% natural way to die and it will be totally painless and it happens all the time amongst the terminally ill.

it is not "barbaric." it is humane.

but, yes, i do see the irony.

Irvine511 said:

as has been mentioned by myself, Melon, and even Irvine's father who is an MD, this is a 100% natural way to die and it will be totally painless and it happens all the time amongst the terminally ill.

I wonder what it feels like to starve to death?

Irvine511 said:

dunno. i'd just had a great monday as well, and topped it off by pounding out my fastest 4 miles ever on the treadmill (i have COBL to thank for that ... no better U2 song to run to).

then couldn't sleep. melatonin didn't help. neither did Ny-Quil. neither did a scotch.

so now my brain's all swirly today, and i'm slammed at work again.

(and yet, i still find time for blue crack ... )

We're leading parallel lives. Substitute treadmill for pilates/yoga, melatonin for my secret amino acids/minerals sleep remedy, and the rest sounds pretty much like my day and evening. And I've get to get off the blue crack to do a board report. :uhoh:

Re: the bulimia irony...I actually just came across that little factoid yesterday and thought how ironic.

nathan1977 said:
I wonder what it feels like to starve to death?

If you're dying, it's painless. It's more painful to force-feed and hydrate, as organs actually start failing and shutting down before you die. Since the fluids have nowhere to go, they accumulate in the lungs and the patient will drown.

In the case of Terri Shiavo, her cerebral cortex is non-existent. Hence, her means of consciousness and even the sensation of pain are gone. Not only would she not even know she's been unhooked, but she wouldn't even feel starving to death. She's incapable of feeling either of that when those parts of the brain literally don't exist any longer.

Melon

That's all very clinical, but it's so much more than that to her family. I don't mean to be argumentative and I know everyone understands it is so much more than that to them.

A doctor could explain all of that to me if I was in their shoes, but it would still be hell for me wondering and questioning.

melon said:

If you're dying, it's painless. It's more painful to force-feed and hydrate, as organs actually start failing and shutting down before you die. Since the fluids have nowhere to go, they accumulate in the lungs and the patient will drown.

In the case of Terri Shiavo, her cerebral cortex is non-existent. Hence, her means of consciousness and even the sensation of pain are gone. Not only would she not even know she's been unhooked, but she wouldn't even feel starving to death. She's incapable of feeling either of that when those parts of the brain literally don't exist any longer.

Melon

yes, exactly.

even people who have brain function and choose this method to end their lives are given enough pain mediciation so that its a very peaceful way to go.

this happens all the time, and a way of ending life, naturally.

i'd choose it for myself, should the situation arise.

joyfulgirl said:

We're leading parallel lives. Substitute treadmill for pilates/yoga, melatonin for my secret amino acids/minerals sleep remedy, and the rest sounds pretty much like my day and evening. And I've get to get off the blue crack to do a board report. :uhoh:

Re: the bulimia irony...I actually just came across that little factoid yesterday and thought how ironic.

secret amino acids? do share ...

Irvine511 said:

secret amino acids? do share ...

The amino acids aren't secret, just the combination of things I take (L-ornithine, taurine, magnesium and B-6)...and it probably only works if you're deficient in any of these things, which I as a recovering vegetarian of 18 years, am.

Sorry, off-topic.

On a political front, President Bush has a good dose of "hypocrisy" right now:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...eau/_bc_braindamagedwoman_bush_wa_1&printer=1

Law Bush signed as Texas governor prompts cries of hypocrisy

Mon Mar 21, 7:22 PM ET

By William Douglas, Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - The federal law that President Bush signed early Monday in an effort to prolong Terri Schiavo's life appears to contradict a right-to-die law that he signed as Texas governor, prompting cries of hypocrisy from congressional Democrats and some bioethicists.

In 1999, then-Gov. Bush signed the Advance Directives Act, which lets a patient's surrogate make life-ending decisions on his or her behalf. The measure also allows Texas hospitals to disconnect patients from life-sustaining systems if a physician, in consultation with a hospital bioethics committee, concludes that the patient's condition is hopeless.

Bioethicists familiar with the Texas law said Monday that if the Schiavo case had occurred in Texas, her husband would be the legal decision-maker and, because he and her doctors agreed that she had no hope of recovery, her feeding tube would be disconnected.

"The Texas law signed in 1999 allowed next of kin to decide what the patient wanted, if competent," said John Robertson, a University of Texas bioethicist.

While Congress and the White House were considering legislation recently in the Schiavo case, Bush's Texas law faced its first high-profile test. With the permission of a judge, a Houston hospital disconnected a critically ill infant from his breathing tube last week against his mother's wishes after doctors determined that continuing life support would be futile.

"The mother down in Texas must be reading the Schiavo case and scratching her head," said Dr. Howard Brody, the director of Michigan State University's Center for Ethics and Humanities in the Life Sciences. "This does appear to be a contradiction."

Brody said that, in taking up the Schiavo case, Bush and Congress had shattered a body of bioethics law and practice.

"This is crazy. It's political grandstanding," he said.

Bush's apparent shift on right-to-die decisions wasn't lost on Democrats. During heated debate on the Schiavo case, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., accused Bush of hypocrisy.

"It appears that President Bush felt, as governor, that there was a point which, when doctors felt there was no further hope for the patient, that it is appropriate for an end-of-life decision to be made, even over the objection of family members," Wasserman Schultz said. "There is an obvious conflict here between the president's feelings on this matter now as compared to when he was governor of Texas."

White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan termed Wasserman Schultz's remarks "uninformed accusations" and denied that there was any conflict in Bush's positions on the two laws.

"The legislation he signed (early Monday) is consistent with his views," McClellan said. "The (1999) legislation he signed into law actually provided new protections for patients ... prior to the passage of the '99 legislation that he signed, there were no protections."

Wasserman Schultz stuck by her remarks when told of McClellan's comments.

"It's a fact in black and white," she said. "It's a direct conflict on the position he has in the Schiavo case."

Tom Mayo, a Southern Methodist University Law School associate professor who helped draft the Texas law, said he saw no inconsistency in Bush's stands.

"It's not really a conflict, because the (Texas) law addresses different types of disputes, meaning the dispute between decision-maker and physician," he said. "The Schiavo case is a disagreement among family members."

Bush himself framed the Schiavo decision this way Monday.

"This is a complex case with serious issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wise to always err on the side of life," the president said during a Social Security event in Tucson, Ariz. He didn't mention the 1999 Texas law.

Melon

Who is the appropriate decision maker in this case: Bob and Mary Schindler or Michael Schiavo?

While Michael is still technically married to Terri, can you still consider him the husband considering he is living with and has children with another women (for all intents and purposes his real wife).

nbcrusader said:
Who is the appropriate decision maker in this case: Bob and Mary Schindler or Michael Schiavo?

While Michael is still technically married to Terri, can you still consider him the husband considering he is living with and has children with another women (for all intents and purposes his real wife).

Legally, it is Michael Shiavo. That's not going to change.

Besides, with all these rashes of "Defense of Marriage Acts," it probably would be illegal to designate someone else to be that decision maker. After all, that might be construed as being "similar to marriage."

Melon

Irvine511 said:
the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.

My family and I were talking about this yesterday, and we've all agreed that should any one of us find ourselves in that state, we're stating right now we'd want the plug pulled, too.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
My family and I were talking about this yesterday, and we've all agreed that should any one of us find ourselves in that state, we're stating right now we'd want the plug pulled, too.
I would rather have a proper euthanatizing than starve to death if I were Terri and wanted to die.

The problem is, American doesn't HAVE a euthenasia policy, because of its ongoing Puritan frigged-up sensibilities.

And FYI: a "fatwa" is not something evil. A fatwa is the Muslim equivalent of a Papal bull--an edict published by the highest religious authority, supposedly clarifying "church" policy on an issue. A fatwa is the Moslem equivalent, there can be good fatwas and bad fatwas. I thought they were all bad, and sinister, until I learned more about contemporary Islam. The irony is, Islam is not supposed to have priests or Leaders". Mohommed was ticke doff about that and what he saw in the petty squabbling of Christian factions during his life, and that was why he tried to establish Islam as a religion where you were your own leader, and the Koran was the only law. Unfortunately, people are people, and being what they are, they deem other folk as lesser than them and stupid enough to need clarification and enforcing of the law, for their own good and protection....

This little Fatwa that Dubya and his Congressional cronies issued clearly falls under the "bad" side, as it tramples the rule of law.

Regardless of how this plays out, it'd like pre-emptive war: how do we know if, in the future, Bush or another Pres might invoke "Terri's Law" to overturn any state judge's ruling on whatever issue they want? Congressional observers point out that this is the first time they can remember that Congress has contested a state court's decision. The legal implications of this Congressional meddling are frightening. The Fathers were wise enough to decreee that the Goverment was NOT all-powerful and that the little folk had a chance. They were frightened of "imperial" hubris and abuse of power. Dubya has carried on allthrough his terms like the kind of King that the Fathers were so afraid of. That's what I really dislike about him. He must always get his way, and there can be no criticism of him...

And also, I'm thinking: all during August 2001 Bush was getting daily briefings about supposed terrorist threats and he didn't say a peep, let alone leave his ranch. Yet THIS makes him drop everything and race back to DC? The man does nothing except for political gain. He even uses God as a tool. he clearly does not care a frig for her life. If Terri had not been of the proper consituency--white, middle class, and CATHOLIC--if she had been, say, gay--he would be the first to advocate pulling the plug, and say it was God's punishment.

This guy made his first rep as a nororious Death Row executer in texas, and NOW he talks of Terri being on Death Row? It makes me sick.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:
I would rather have a proper euthanatizing than starve to death if I were Terri and wanted to die.

I'd rather have had everyone let go 14 years ago when I truly died and taken my soul out of limbo. When she does finally meet her maker she's gonna wonder where the hell 15 years went. God's just going to have to tell her "some folks downstairs tried to play me and trapped your soul in the dark all these years.":|

Oooohhh, Bonovox, GOOD POST. "the people downstairs tried to play Me."

Like I said: God is the One Person that he can't arrest and have put in a cage without rights to a trial, or torture, or murder, or fire, or lie to, or hoodwink, or order sexually abused, or rob, or put under house arrest. He'll have all the more to answer for in the brief time he stands before Him (before being shipped off elsewhere), all the more because he claims so blatantly to speak and act in His Name. "You gave your life to Me, and I gave you a chance. And THIS is how you repaid My mercy." There are backsliders, G.W., and there are desecrators of the Name. You fall into that rare category. I, as a Christian since 1988, say this. I'm not in your camp, and I'm not fooled.

There is one Bibilical verse that applies to this. You wanna quote the Bible, Georgy boy? This is from Matthew (I think, I can't quote chapter and verse at the moment): "You blow neither cold nor hot. And because you blow neither cold nor hot, I will spew you from out my mouth." That's how he plays God in his polices, and that's how much he cares. Reports are that a memo is circulating among the GOP in the Senate on how to use this issue to throw the Democratic Senator from FLA out of office next year.

If you were just a Nixon type that would be bad enough. But you do this in the name of freedom, and justice, and democracy, and human rights--you have dragged our nation into the international gutter in HIS Name. You really are no better than those we claim to fight (and I say 'claim" b/c when was the last time you saw Binny's or Al_Quedas' na,e in the news?

Wrod has it (from that Dublin article) that during a 9-minute encore break similar to the one that was in the last part of ZooTV, the band is going to have a 3-D presentation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights projected onto fog, with audio accompaniment. Never a better time. It would be good for Europeans to see but we in the US NEED to see it. It would be good to think that the show is as political as the album is NOT.

Last edited:
PS..Stray Dog..do I see a U2 lyric here? "Don't beleive in what they tell me, there ain't no cure..the rich stay healthy, and the sick stay poor."

PPS. I am reading this thread and would like to reply to MacPhistowannbe.

Yes, Lincoln suspended habeus corpus and did all sorts of legal chicanery in the Civil War, as did many before and after him. BUT what kind of a toll did that war take on him? He was SUCH a sad man by the time it was over.....nothing he did or ordered came without great personal cost. The famous pics say it all. His was the wisdom to know that in war, there are no winners, not even among those who win. We all sacrifice something deep, something awful, even as we supposedly make gains. His was a face and voice that will speak to the ages: "Why must it come to this??"

And that is ANOTHER thing I can't stand about Bush. These things do not appear to affect him personally at all. When any other man ordered troops into battle, it was a grave, momentous decision. And yet here he was many months later, publicy quoted as saying, "Oh, 2 or 3 deaths a day really are nothing." If human life ever really meant less to anybody, it is him. His casual disregard is appalling, and I'm not the only one who thinks this. We're all just pawns in the game, divide and conquer, and the more confusion works to his advantage.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Angela

While that is certainly a good first step, it's still just a "but she/he told me" deal. Much better to have it written down. I checked out a site that will allow you to fill out a living will for free (at least for most states).
Living Will

It's certainly better than nothing...at least it's written down and signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom