MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 05:57 AM
They should stop feeding her, but leave the tube in just to fake everyone out. Then they should hook up a Stephen Hawking computer and have her say "It's cool everyone, I'm alive! Gotcha!"

Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how Terri came to be in a vegetative state in the first place?

Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Both of my parents had a living will, and they told me when it ever came to the place that they were near to drying that they did not want to keep on living by any artificial supports. That would include a respirator, and a feeding tube. I respected their wishes. I think it cruel that they keeping this woman alive,as she is brain dead. I know if I was her I would not want to be kept alive by these means.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #34
War Child

nam-I believe she had a heart attack/fell into a coma initally after having an eating disorder.

I think melon and other have hit on points that are a reflection of how I feel.

Did anyone ever see the film citizen ruth? Th eissue in that movie was pro life vs pro choice people figthing over laura dern. At the end the two sides are outside her house yelling at one another and dern escapes out a back window and the two sides don't even notice and keep yelling at one each other.

It is no longer about terri schiavo its about whose right and whose wrong. Even if the husband or parents realized they were wrong-are they going to say anything now?

My friends mom had als in 12 months she went from totally healthy to only being able to blink her eyelids. She eventually refused food and water and passed away.

It is a situation that definately stirs up a lot of emotion in people-rightfully so because as someone mentioned we are not even close to the point where we talk about death or euthanasia.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:07 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Congress and Schiavo

What do you think about Congress getting involved in the Schiavo case?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #36
Acrobat

Congress should not be interefering in the personal lives of Americans. It is my belief Delay and his buddies are just grandstanding and attempting to win votes from the far right.
Goverenment intrusion seems to be the trend and is getting out of control in the US.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:59 AM   #37
War Child

I agree with Maggie. MLB as well (although clearly not a life and death issue) its like hey guys don't you have other things to worry about like the quagmire in iraq and Osama?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think Congress should be involved in this. The locals can decide in the Schiavo case. Steroids are bad, but Congress needs to focus on the budget, Osama, Iraq and all of the other reasons why we have a government in the first place.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 AM   #39
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I have zero idea of what the right thing to do in this situation might be.

I just keep asking myself...what if this were my mom? Could I really let her die? Or, conversely, would I have the strength and faith to let her go to heaven?

I am truly torn in half by this case.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #40
The Fly

Even though i usualy lean more towards the conservitive side of politics, I really dont think it's right to keep someone artificially alive. If there was no feeding tube, Terri would be dead. Her body is really already gone, its only fair to let her soul go too.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl
I agree with Maggie. MLB as well (although clearly not a life and death issue) its like hey guys don't you have other things to worry about like the quagmire in iraq and Osama?
Exactly. This affects a specific family, therefore, that family and that family alone should deal with this situation. The government should have no say in this stuff.

Angela
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

If Michael Schiavo legitimately wanted Terri's life to end because he wanted to set her free, to end her suffering, I'd say I agree, let her go peacefully. However, I am FAR from convinced that Michael Shiavo is being driven by motives that pure. The fact is that he has two children with another woman with whom he has been living for a long time. It feels very much like more than anything he wishes Terri's life to end because he wants to get rid of the annoyance of 'dealing' with her, to get rid of that thorn in his ass. And I can't say I can encourage Terri's 'mercy killing' when it is wanted for those WRONG reasons. Also, I have read things(albiet from biased sources) saying that in a test to see if she understood the concept of her death, Terri was told that she would die if she didn't get out of her chair, and that she did indeed try to get out of her chair. Make what you will of that.

As for Congress, I don't think they should be involved with the legality of removing the feeding tube. However, I think maybe they wouldn't be wrong to looker deeper into one Michael Schiavo. The man is not all he appears to be. I understand that he has sole guardianship over Terri, but in my book, if you're in his shoes, and you don't even care what her parents think/want, you are scum, and/or you have another agenda. I think it is only fair to Terri that someone find out what this other agenda is.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #43
Refugee

It's funny how they choose to draw a congressional meeting over this case and the MLB steroids and yet it seems much more important things are going on such as the deficit and the "war."

Perhaps it's just me.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Conspiracies and "agendas" aside, the fact remains that even the court-appointed doctors have all declared her to be in a persistant vegetative state. Aside from ideologically-driven motives, there is really no reason to keep her on a feeding tube.

Melon
Old 03-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #45
War Child

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Actually, this case touches on many topics at the forefront of politics.

I think it must be decided whether or not she is braindead. If yes, then she is not suffering at all.

The concern then should be on immediate family members and their feelings.

While it may be irrational and expensive to keep her alive to those of us separated by distance and emotion, it is not rational, in my opinion, to cause devastation to her immediate family no matter how pointless we might find their affection to be.