MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #421
War Child

Local Time: 01:47 AM
This story has been big in Tampa for years. The thing is the media is choosing what to report or what not to report based on what bias they'd like to have.

The one thing that isn't getting said enough (it's been around in the local media for years) is that 5 doctors went in to exam her over a matter of weeks. 2 doctor's from the husband's side, 2 from the parents and 1 one from the courts. ALL 5 concluded the same thing. She won't come out of this. The back part of her brain which is used for movement, reason, feelings, emotions, thinking in general is melted. It is not functioning. Her parent's conceded this point in court over 5 years ago.

The real issue comes down to whether people believe she told her husband that she wanted to be kept alive or not. He, her best friend and a few of her in laws claim they heard her express her feelings about not being kept alive by any means if she was in a position such as this.

Either her parents were told something different or they think those people are lying.

I have my own personal feelings about this but I thought I'd just share some of the facts that have been around in the local media and maybe not as much in the national media.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If an autistic boy is capable of no more than these utterances, is it fair for the parents to withhold food?
Of course not.

But autistic boys don't get diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state. They have something called a brain that they can use. They are conscious.

Terri Schiavo is not. Moans are reflexive. Put a bullet into her leg, and she probably wouldn't even react. She doesn't have the cortex in her brain to be able to process pain, and she certainly doesn't have the capacity to be aware enough to consciously attempt to say "I want to live" (couldn't "AAAA WAAA" be anything from "A wasp!" to "I wanked"? Jeez...it could be literally anything). It's not a matter of it being possible, the brain firing on adrenaline or something similar. The brain is simply not there.

She has no possible way to express anything. Nothing. Physical impossiblility.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If an autistic boy is capable of no more than these utterances, is it fair for the parents to withhold food?
When that boy has a flat EEG line, and his cerebral cortex has been replaced with spinal fluid and is unable to intake food and water, then yes.

Until then, totally baseless comparison.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #424
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:

Is this a real question?

This woman's life ended in 91.
Her brain is damaged beyond repair.

We will all have an end of life.

There is no coming back, for her.
It is not a coma.

Because the food tube can delay the completion of the dying process, is it right?

Why not hook up an artificial heart, dialysis machine, a ventilating machine right now?
and keep an empty body living 20 more years? Is that the goal?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #425
ONE
love, blood, life

Now the FBI has arrested a man in NC who put a $250K bounty on Mike Schiavo, and $50K on the judge.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #426
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Now the FBI has arrested a man in NC who put a $250K bounty on Mike Schiavo, and $50K on the judge.
This and bomb threats...

I'm glad these "life" supporters have so much respect for life.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #427
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This and bomb threats...

I'm glad these "life" supporters have so much respect for life.
Jesus would be proud.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Is this a real question?
Yes.

When crass comments are made in support of her termination based on the sounds she is able to produce, then it is completely fair to analyze the comment as a principle for such decisions.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Man arrested in N.C. on charges of threatening Michael Schiavo
3/25/2005 7:23 PM
By: Associated Press

(ASHEVILLE) - A man is in jail in Asheville Friday night on charges he threatened the husband of the brain-damaged Florida woman at the center of the right-to-die case gripping the country.

Richard Alan Meywes was arrested in Fairview, North Carolina for an alleged connection to an email placing a $250,000 bounty on the head of Michael Schiavo.

The email also offered a $50,000 bounty for the elimination of the judge who denied a request to intervene in the Schiavo case.

It's been a week that Michael Schiavo's wife, Terry, has been disconnected from a feeding tube. She's been kept alive but in a persistent vegetative state for 15 years as her husband and her parents fought in court about whether she should be allowed to die.

Meywes faces federal charges of murder for hire and transmission of interstate threatening communications.

An FBI spokesman in Charlotte didn't immediately return calls seeking details of the arrest.

Corporal Todd Ernst of the Buncomb County Sheriffs Office said Meywes has no prior record in Buncomb County. Ernst said Meywes is being held in the Buncombe County Detention Center he appears before a federal magistrate, probably on Monday.
link here
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #430
Refugee

Local Time: 05:47 AM
what the hell is wrong with these people..."damn him, he wants to take away her 'life.' We'll kill him, that'll show em."
the lack of intelligence is staggering
Old 03-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

When crass comments are made in support of her termination based on the sounds she is able to produce, then it is completely fair to analyze the comment as a principle for such decisions.
That's ridiculous. When was a "crass comment" ever made? She made two moans and her parents are yanking complete phrases out of their asses.

Autism has absolutely no comparison to PVS, as someone stated above. You actually have a brain if you're autistic. Terri has no brain. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 AM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
what the hell is wrong with these people..."damn him, he wants to take away her 'life.' We'll kill him, that'll show em."
the lack of intelligence is staggering
They aren't exactly typical. I feel for the family, but I don't want this to become a standard stereotype for me.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #433
Blue Crack Addict

The latest from CNN:

"On Thursday, police arrested an Illinois man they said robbed a gun store in Seminole, Florida, as part of an attempt to "rescue Terri Schiavo."

Michael W. Mitchell, 20, faces charges of attempted armed robbery, aggravated assault and criminal mischief, said Marianne Pasha, spokeswoman for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office."

Not to sure exactly what he expected to do with her once he got her out of the hospice...it's not like he could ram a loaf of bread down her throat...
Old 03-26-2005, 01:49 AM   #434
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:47 PM
...wow...that's a mature way to handle this situation.

Some people are incredibly stupid.

Angela
Old 03-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #435
Blue Crack Supplier

my reaction was one of a complete lack of surprise.

the mainstream is loosing interest in this story, so the extremists are getting nervous and looking for attention.