MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

Why do you assume I have religious beliefs? That argument's a cop out.

I believe that human value lies in it's very essence.

Others on the opposing side of this issue believe the value of human life is determined by one's ability or potential or "viability".

We disagree. This is not a religious argument even though you're making it one.

Freedom of choice? Is that kind of like the right to privacy?

The word "choice" is so vague. Freedom of choice means absolutely nothing and has no basis in law.

This case raises many difficult questions and as I said before we need to answer them or the "other side" answers them for us.

I get SO sick of being labeled as religious and basing all my beliefs on that instead of thinking for myself. I'm not really all that religious, I mean, I'm a believer, but I don't even go to church. My beliefs are based simply on human decency, and right and wrong! It's like some people here can't believe or respect that anyone could think that way, they have to be brainwashed by Pat Robertson or something There are some people here who can't ever address our opinions as us actually having MINDS and hearts, it always has to be 'you right-to-lifers' or some other label, as if everyone with that opinion read it on the 700 club or in a mailer from Jerry Falwell and is following a crowd and not thinking for ourselves t's actually very insulting.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #392
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

My like or dislike of Bush isn't relevant to the fact that on the one hand he pontificates on the sanctity of life, and on the other he starts wars base don lives killign hundreds oif thousands, supports the NRA, snr hundreds to Death row, and wants to cut back medicaid.

All of those are facts. let's not let fact enter into emotional partisan rhetoric though eh ?
Find me a previous leader of the free world whose words and actions could not ever be construed as hypocritical and I'll transfer the contents of my bank account to yours immediately.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #393
War Child

Quote:

Find me a previous leader of the free world whose words and actions could not ever be construed as hypocritical and I'll transfer the contents of my bank account to yours immediately.
How much do you have ?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #394
War Child

Quote:

emotional partisan rhetoric like this?

"Bush, far from a real man"
Yup, backed up with facts.

As opposed to just saying you're a (insert politiocian's name here)-hater and leaving it at that.

Quoting out of context is so kindergarten-debate.......
Old 03-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #395
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:

and I don't think keeping her in the state you (and most others)believe she's in makes a damn bit of difference to her either. So what harm will keeping her alive do to her?
That's some of the worse logic I've ever heard.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #396
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by theyoonaboramer
They should stop feeding her, but leave the tube in just to fake everyone out. Then they should hook up a Stephen Hawking computer and have her say "It's cool everyone, I'm alive! Gotcha!"
How tasteful. Now go away and grow up, and maybe find out a bit about the people you're talking to before you start behaving like a brainless idiot. If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look 2 posts beneath yours.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #397
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Sally,

He played you.

We all did a good job ignoring him.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #398
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Yes I know. I just don't care. I'm not in a particularly self-restrained mood. I admire anyone who can keep a level head when seeing moronic comments that hit a little too close to home. I'm not going to pretend that I'm capable of that right now. But thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
Originally posted by bcrt2000
all i can think of is Miracle Drug right now...
That's all I've been thinking of for months.

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

give me a break

she is in a permanent veg. state

he has moved on

Her parents have not.

Hardly surprising, seeing as this is their daughter.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #399
Acrobat

I was responding to this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Originally posted by Irvine511

on this we fully agree.

(so why scale back medicade? why cut taxes?)

Terri, however, has been virtually dead for 15 years. i don't think keeping her in this state is making anyone happy other than her parents who can't seem to let her go.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Keeping her in this state isn't making anyone happy but her parents. OK.

Is keeping her in this state making anyone unhappy? Probably Michael. Terri? no.

So if you want to argue about who's happy or unhappy, I'd argue the parents are far more unhappy to see Terri die than Michael would be to have Terri live.

Now I wouldn't myself argue on that basis but the point was made so I saw fit to refute it.

Hope that's more logical for you
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
To give you an idea of how bad the infotainment cesspool has become, a Fox News morning show invited Crossing Over TV psychic John Edward in studio to talk about it.

John Edward: I do believe that the soul, the consciousness, can communicate when they're in a state, whether it be a mental incapacitated person, someone who's in a coma. It's a consciousness, and the soul has a living consciousness.

Host: So she may not be able to talk with her brain, but she's ...

Edward: But she's clear on what's going on. And I can tell you she's definitely clear on what's happening now around her.

As if that weren't unbalanced enough, Fox News presented the charlatan split-panel with looping video footage of Schiavo.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #401
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 AM
terri must not die.................................................terri must not die
Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #402
Blue Crack Addict

ROME (AFP) - The Roman Catholic Church's chief doctrinal enforcer, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, hit out at the "arrogance" of mankind that thought it could conquer death through its own efforts.
"In doing this, we hope to conquer death by our own efforts, yet in reality we are profoundly debasing human dignity."
Ratzinger, in the meditations at the Way of the Cross ceremony at Rome's Colosseum, also turned the spotlight on the church itself.
"Should we not also think of how much Christ suffers in his own church," he asked. "How much filth there is in the church, and even among those who, in the priesthood, ought to belong entirely to him. How much pride, how much self-complacency."

The prelate compared the church to a "boat about to sink".

"The soiled garments and face of your church throw us into confusion. Yet it we ourselves who have soiled them. It is we who betray you time and again!"

The cardinal also scathingly attacked world leaders and politicians for their arrogance.

"How often are the symbols of power, borne by the great ones of this world, an affront to truth, to justice and to the dignity of man! How many times are their pomps and their lofty words nothing but grandiose lies, a parody of their solemn obligation to serve the common good," he said.

"Justice is trampled underfoot by weakness, cowardice and fear of the diktat of the ruling mindset. The quiet voice of conscience is drowned out by the cries of the crowd. Evil draws its power from indecision and concern for what other people think".
Old 03-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #403
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
ROME (AFP) - The Roman Catholic Church's chief doctrinal enforcer, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, hit out at the "arrogance" of mankind that thought it could conquer death through its own efforts.
"In doing this, we hope to conquer death by our own efforts, yet in reality we are profoundly debasing human dignity."
Ratzinger, in the meditations at the Way of the Cross ceremony at Rome's Colosseum, also turned the spotlight on the church itself.
"Should we not also think of how much Christ suffers in his own church," he asked. "How much filth there is in the church, and even among those who, in the priesthood, ought to belong entirely to him. How much pride, how much self-complacency."

The prelate compared the church to a "boat about to sink".

"The soiled garments and face of your church throw us into confusion. Yet it we ourselves who have soiled them. It is we who betray you time and again!"

The cardinal also scathingly attacked world leaders and politicians for their arrogance.

"How often are the symbols of power, borne by the great ones of this world, an affront to truth, to justice and to the dignity of man! How many times are their pomps and their lofty words nothing but grandiose lies, a parody of their solemn obligation to serve the common good," he said.

"Justice is trampled underfoot by weakness, cowardice and fear of the diktat of the ruling mindset. The quiet voice of conscience is drowned out by the cries of the crowd. Evil draws its power from indecision and concern for what other people think".
Yet another example of "mythic speech." If I wanted to, I could probably say all those things about the Catholic Church, and, more specifically, Cardinal Ratzinger. Sounds like a great description of the GOP, except I know he's not talking about them at all.

Melon
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

cloning

but

umbilical cords for 41 year olds in veg states =
the arrogance of mankind that thought it could conquer death through its own efforts
Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #405
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
cloning

but

umbilical cords for 41 year olds =
the arrogance of mankind that thought it could conquer death through its own efforts
Ask old Cardinal Rat and I'm sure he'd do a 180-degree turn and say that it's an "affront" to unplug Terri Shiavo.

I wish I could still find respect for my old church.

Melon