MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #331
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I am very curious here, your post is based on religion vs secularism. Yet, I haven't seen one conservative on here rage about what God wants for her. In fact, I've seen a number of liberals do that.
I do understand that, many "liberals" do use God and religion when justifying their arguments and I think that is piss poor as well. And I have not seen too many religious arguments about a right to life.

It seems that a significant piece of the lobbying in this particular case against pulling the plug is from certain Christian groups and these groups are aligned with the GOP. I myself would ally with the more libertarian elements of that party, and would hope to see them be the driving force ~ in this particular case the libertarian in me says hands off. The government should not get involved.

So to answer your question, political discourse and government must be kept seperate from religion. Christianity in the US is a force in the demographics as well as the politics so that distinction seems to get blurred. And when this happens badness seems to follow. The US is not a theocracy and neither is it's government, it is just that people are hyper-sensitive when that strip of grey starts to change.

Take no action and do no harm would seem to lend itself to the leave as is path. But I really don't think that dead or alive makes any difference to Terri because from what I have read all that is there is a body.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #332
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 AM
You know I have read at least a few comments in this thread asking why not leave the tube in if it will make the parents happy. But almost every time the same people complain that her husband wants her dead and they just seem to despise the idea of him getting what they think he wants. I'd like to know what makes their wishes more valid than his.

It's supposed to be about her wishes, not either her husband's or her parents.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #333
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Hypocriteville, um no don't think so.
When you start talking about a soul being trapped in a body, you open up a huge topic of which the natural question would be, "when does the soul enter the body?" I'm not sure you want to go there.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #334
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
You know I have read at least a few comments in this thread asking why not leave the tube in if it will make the parents happy. But almost every time the same people complain that her husband wants her dead and they just seem to despise the idea of him getting what they think he wants. I'd like to know what makes their wishes more valid than his.

It's supposed to be about her wishes, not either her husband's or her parents.
That's the whole legal issue here, what are her wishes? I think the court ruled incorrectly on the basis of flimsy evidence.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #335
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

When you start talking about a soul being trapped in a body, you open up a huge topic of which the natural question would be, "when does the soul enter the body?" I'm not sure you want to go there.
No, I'm talking about an adult. If you believe in souls, then anyone who's already developed enough self to marry has a soul.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:20 PM   #336
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Quote:

That's the whole legal issue here, what are her wishes? I think the court ruled incorrectly on the basis of flimsy evidence.
Why because you're a doctor, or are you a judge?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:

She's got no brain, mate. No electrical activity within her skull.

She isn't a person anymore. Just a lump of skin and bones and tissue with the occasional muscle twitch. Why do we insist on keeping her alive?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #338
War Child

I live in Tampa and this issue has been going on for years here in the local press. The national media is leaving out A LOT of the facts in this case. They are VERY bias in their reporting of the story (for and against). No matter what side you stand for I think it's just sad that it's come to this. It's a 3 ring circus and I'm sure she would have never wanted that. It's just sad....
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 AM   #339
Refugee

instead of arguing can we just say a prayer or something like that for the grief that all involved parties have had to go through or will go through?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Did you really mean to make her sound like a piece of meat?
Isn't that how people are treating her? Look through the thread at the number of "she's not a person comments" and consider your statement.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:27 AM   #341
War Child

Bush/Schiavo - What a hypocrite !

"The case is full of great ironies. A large part of Terri's hospice costs are paid by Medicaid, a program that the administration and conservatives in Congress would sharply reduce. Some of her other expenses have been covered by the million-dollar proceeds of a malpractice suit - the kind of suit that President Bush has fought to scale back."

- NPR commentator Daniel Schorr.

It's sad to hear Bush talk about the sanctity of life while sending as many people as can to death row while governor, and inflicting mass civilian and US casualties in Iraq for a war built on lies

Again, how this guy won the election is testament to Democratic weakness, not Ultra-Right wing strength.

And how are the democrats capitalizing on Bush's stance in the Schiavo case ? In typical incompetent style, they're doing nothing. As sad as Schiavo's case is, the dems could gain HUGE political mileage out of pointing out the hypocrisy of the current administration. If the roles were reversed, don't think the GOP wouldn't do it........
Old 03-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #342
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 AM
and Bush's approval rating has fallen from 53% to 45% in the last week alone.

so he's now not commenting any further on the matter.

such conviction!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #343
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:25 AM
it's terrible we are talkng about rates and politics when a woman is going through such an agony...
where do the respect for life end up?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #344
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

(merged)

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #345
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, I'm talking about an adult. If you believe in souls, then anyone who's already developed enough self to marry has a soul.
So kids who haven't developed enough self don't have a soul?