MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #316
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

It doesn't matter what we think the benefit would be. Her parents obviously see a benefit. What benefit could ther possibly be to keeping a Down's syndrome person alive? and so on and so on

It's quite a charge to accuse someone who believes in the sanctity of life of using this for political gain. There are some politicians who actually believe in what they stand for. It's always a knee jerk reaction to accuse one of politicization. If some politicians gain politically for standing up for their beliefs, so be it.
Oh come on don't kid yourself this is being used for political gain. Bush left a vacation, first time ever, he didn't even leave for the tsunami.

Another thing is you say the parents see a benefit and that it doesn't matter what we think. But is there a line? Especially for adults that were no longer under parents care when they originally got sick. Where science should supercede a parent's wish? If it's proven that her cerebral cortex is liquified should science supercede and say the body should be let go? Or do we let the parents who can't let go just keep her organs running indefinately?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
It doesn't matter what we think the benefit would be. Her parents obviously see a benefit.
And the only one I've heard so far is that they can still have their daughter around by keeping her on the feeding tube. I understand they don't want to say goodbye to her, but to keep her suffering the way she has been for 15 years just so they personally don't have to say goodbye...I don't see how they can consider that beneficial to her, to the doctors who are taking care of her, to them, to her husband, etc.

Quote:
What benefit could ther possibly be to keeping a Down's syndrome person alive? and so on and so on
A difference there-people with Down's syndrome aren't in a vegative state. They can survive without various things around them. Neither of those things apply to Terri. She's been in this state for 15 years. She will never get better. Why insist on keeping her in this state?

Quote:
It's quite a charge to accuse someone who believes in the sanctity of life of using this for political gain. There are some politicians who actually believe in what they stand for. It's always a knee jerk reaction to accuse one of politicization. If some politicians gain politically for standing up for their beliefs, so be it.
I don't doubt that there are some politicians who truly believe in what they stand for. But with others, that is not the case. We've got elections for Congress next year, so naturally some of them will want to try and do anything in their power to get votes, even if it means exploiting something like this. And it happens on both sides, I'm not pointing fingers at one side only here-Democrats and Republicans are both equally guilty of this stuff.

Angela

Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:14 AM
i think we should all notice that the WH is pulling out of this. Bush's approval ratings have dropped 9 points, i believe, so they're stepping out.

erring on the side of political life, i suppose.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #319
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:14 PM
I would hope that this sends a message that the religious end of the Republicans are not all powerful, I would dearly hope that in the future the secular end gets the upper hand. Conservatism does not and should not equate to religiousity.

As to the matter of Terri herself ~ she is dead. She is not suffering ~ the mind has gone but the body exists. The ultimate decision should rest with the family ~ now husband versus parents becomes a very specific part of this and I don't ~ and neither does anybody else here ~ have a proper answer to that. Dragging the courts and politicians into this is not the right way to go.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #320
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I would dearly hope that in the future the secular end gets the upper hand. Conservatism does not and should not equate to religiousity.

As to the matter of Terri herself ~ she is dead. She is not suffering ~ the mind has gone but the body exists.
I agree.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #321
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Is this something that politics can answer better than her parents?
I'm not picking on you, because I've seen similar statements in this thread by others, but I wanted to respond to the comment.

Her parents aren't her next of kin -- her husband is. I don't understand how they have any say at all. Kinda too bad for her parents that Terri wasn't gay and living with a lover, then they would be her legal next of kin and they could do whatever they wish.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #322
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The man has two children with another women. To me, the other woman is her de facto wife. He could of simply returned her to her parents and saved everyone the drama.
Did you really mean to make her sound like a piece of meat?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #323
ONE
love, blood, life

The ultimate irony: Terri Schiavo is in this state because she wouldn't eat. And now, the whole world wants to force her to.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
The ultimate irony: Terri Schiavo is in this state because she wouldn't eat. And now, the whole world wants to force her to.
Agreed. That thought struck me too.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:26 PM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life

Strange thing is, my girl and I have both said to each other tonite, if we're in the same spot as the husband, kill me. Do everything you can, kill me. We're both going to see our parents this weekend, and make it very clear: kill us. We might even put it in writing at 31 and 26. More $ for lawyers.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #326
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:44 AM
I watched a debate on Nightline last night and they brought up the issue of age. Many people think this is an issue for older people but they said most of the people who are in the media due to this situation are young people like Terry Schiavo.

Accidents and tragedies which take down a young person in the prime of life lead to this situation. Generally, older people in this situation are let go in a much easier way since they usually have lived a full life and people want to ease their suffering. However, young victims who have no brain function or who are on life support have families who have a much greater difficulty in letting go of a child or younger member of the family.

It seems to be more crucial for young people to ensure that their loved ones know their explicit wishes should they be struck down by such a tragedy.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Strange thing is, my girl and I have both said to each other tonite, if we're in the same spot as the husband, kill me. Do everything you can, kill me. We're both going to see our parents this weekend, and make it very clear: kill us. We might even put it in writing at 31 and 26. More $ for lawyers.
Well, Terri Schiavo was 26 when she had her heart attack...so can happen to anyone at any age.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #328
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Well, Terri Schiavo was 26 when she had her heart attack...so can happen to anyone at any age.
I know. That's why we're professing our love to each other by declaring we'd kill each other... but, her 1 stipulation is that I kill myself right after I kill her.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I would hope that this sends a message that the religious end of the Republicans are not all powerful, I would dearly hope that in the future the secular end gets the upper hand. Conservatism does not and should not equate to religiousity.
I am very curious here, your post is based on religion vs secularism. Yet, I haven't seen one conservative on here rage about what God wants for her. In fact, I've seen a number of liberals do that.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #330
War Child

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Since you're open about it, have you determined what the cut-off line (condition) would be?
(for MrBrau1)