MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:26 AM
i ditto Melon.

let her rest in peace.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:38 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I have concerns about the fact that she had an eating disorder, I believe it was bulimia. There are questions re if that had anything to do w/ her condition now. I might be mistaken, but I think I read that the husband used to make constant comments about her weight.

My gut feelings about that husband are not good (seeing several interviews w/ him on Larry King and elsewhere), and I happen to think her parents might know more about him than the general public does.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:26 AM
The goverenment should not be interfering because it is a personal decision which should be made by her husband who is her legal gardian.
I think her parents are being somewhat morbid trying to keep her alive. They are only thinking about themselves and not what is in the best interest of their daughter who is suffering. I have seen what is like for someone to lie in a hospital bed suffering and it is not a pretty site!
I have had a lot of pets in life. When they got sick and began to suffer, I took them to the vet and had to put to sleep to relieve the suffering. What is wrong with showing the same mercy to a human being?
Again, the stupid politicians who are trying to make a name for themselves, need to stay out of it.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:32 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, whatever dignity and compassion euthanasia would have provided this poor woman has been distorted and exploited by special interest groups and the media. She should be allowed to pass on in peace in a more humane manner than starving her to death but without the debate over euthanasia in the US, she will have to suffer more than she has already endured to be at peace.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think her whole situation is a tragedy.

Nobody would want to live like that.
Nobody would want to starve to death.

I don't have a lot of empathy for her husband, but unfortunately, it looks like he will win no matter what.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #21
Refugee

I just saw a news brief on the local channel and it says that the state courts have ordered the tube to be removed. It's sad that it's happening but it's good that it's being done. Let her rest in peace.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I think her whole situation is a tragedy.

Nobody would want to live like that.
Nobody would want to starve to death.

not that this necessarily makes a difference, but she will not suffer if her feeding tube is removed. often, terminally ill patients will refuse food and water if they are of sound conscious mind -- this is a way to let someone die naturally, without employ a doctor to euthanize someone. she will be given adequate pain medications and will not suffer. this has happened before, and it's often the appropriate medical procedure.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

http://completingalife.msu.edu/

You can all now learn about death from a site I made with the Communication Technology Lab at Michigan State University.

And, yes, dying people will often refuse food or water, because that is part of the dying process. And, no, they are not in pain by starving to death.

Melon
Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I think they should put the tube back in

if she asks for it
Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggie1
The goverenment should not be interfering because it is a personal decision which should be made by her husband who is her legal gardian.
Agreed. I don't know much about her husband, as I haven't really seen or heard anything regarding him, so I can't comment on his potential motives for this, but still, I do agree in the sense that this is a personal issue, not a government one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maggie1
I have had a lot of pets in life. When they got sick and began to suffer, I took them to the vet and had to put to sleep to relieve the suffering. What is wrong with showing the same mercy to a human being?
Great point-I'm curious about that, too.

I'm in agreement with melon here. I sincerely hope I never find myself in Terri's situation-it's downright awful that that girl's in that condition and I feel for her family and friends, but if I ever were in that situation, I'm going to say right now that I would want someone to pull the plug. I wouldn't want to continue on in that state, personally, especially knowing I'd be unable to interact with my family and friends as it was.

Angela
Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

not that this necessarily makes a difference, but she will not suffer if her feeding tube is removed. often, terminally ill patients will refuse food and water if they are of sound conscious mind -- this is a way to let someone die naturally, without employ a doctor to euthanize someone. she will be given adequate pain medications and will not suffer. this has happened before, and it's often the appropriate medical procedure.
Yeah...my father, dying of cancer, refused to eat last few days of his life (he was home even). He was also on painkillers. Died in his sleep. Best outcome anyone could've hoped for (with the exception of a miracle...which are rare indeed).
Old 03-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:26 AM
I wish the politicians would stay the hell out of this. I don't think it's any of their business. She really is not alive. She's completely brain dead and will never have consciousness again. Let her go in peace.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM

Old 03-18-2005, 02:09 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

oy.

am totally freaked out about the fragility of life now.

time to go sit in the corner and stare at the wall and ponder the meaninglessness of it all.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

deep, thanks for posting the pictures.

Irvine511, "time to go sit in the corner and stare at the wall and ponder the meaninglessness of it all."

I believe life does have a meaning, a purpose, all of our lives.