MERGED: Terri Schiavo - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Bush could have signed this bill (Terri Schiavo) in Texas.

Why did h fly back to DC?

Old 03-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Who is the appropriate decision maker in this case: Bob and Mary Schindler or Michael Schiavo?

While Michael is still technically married to Terri, can you still consider him the husband considering he is living with and has children with another women (for all intents and purposes his real wife).
Legally, it is Michael Shiavo. That's not going to change.

Besides, with all these rashes of "Defense of Marriage Acts," it probably would be illegal to designate someone else to be that decision maker. After all, that might be construed as being "similar to marriage."

Melon

Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.
My family and I were talking about this yesterday, and we've all agreed that should any one of us find ourselves in that state, we're stating right now we'd want the plug pulled, too.

Angela
Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

She's dead. Sorry. All this "culture of life" bullshit is ridiculous and hypocritical. It's all a political ploy. :-/
Old 03-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
My family and I were talking about this yesterday, and we've all agreed that should any one of us find ourselves in that state, we're stating right now we'd want the plug pulled, too.
I would rather have a proper euthanatizing than starve to death if I were Terri and wanted to die.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #171
Blue Crack Supplier

ooooooh! look who just weighed in on the situation: Mel fucking Gibson

http://www.terrisfight.net/press/gibson.htm

can you imagine the hysterics if, say, Michael Moore had said anything?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think it would be that hysterical.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
ooooooh! look who just weighed in on the situation: Mel fucking Gibson

http://www.terrisfight.net/press/gibson.htm

can you imagine the hysterics if, say, Michael Moore had said anything?
well,

he did play a doctor in

The Singing Detective.

and he knows the mind of God.
(in Aramaic, no less)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #174
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

and he knows the mind of God.
(in Aramaic, no less)

wow, he's a triple threat! just like J-Lo!

he can act, direct, *and* know the mind of God!

(in Aramaic!)
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #175
Refugee

Local Time: 05:01 AM
The problem is, American doesn't HAVE a euthenasia policy, because of its ongoing Puritan frigged-up sensibilities.

And FYI: a "fatwa" is not something evil. A fatwa is the Muslim equivalent of a Papal bull--an edict published by the highest religious authority, supposedly clarifying "church" policy on an issue. A fatwa is the Moslem equivalent, there can be good fatwas and bad fatwas. I thought they were all bad, and sinister, until I learned more about contemporary Islam. The irony is, Islam is not supposed to have priests or Leaders". Mohommed was ticke doff about that and what he saw in the petty squabbling of Christian factions during his life, and that was why he tried to establish Islam as a religion where you were your own leader, and the Koran was the only law. Unfortunately, people are people, and being what they are, they deem other folk as lesser than them and stupid enough to need clarification and enforcing of the law, for their own good and protection....

This little Fatwa that Dubya and his Congressional cronies issued clearly falls under the "bad" side, as it tramples the rule of law.

Regardless of how this plays out, it'd like pre-emptive war: how do we know if, in the future, Bush or another Pres might invoke "Terri's Law" to overturn any state judge's ruling on whatever issue they want? Congressional observers point out that this is the first time they can remember that Congress has contested a state court's decision. The legal implications of this Congressional meddling are frightening. The Fathers were wise enough to decreee that the Goverment was NOT all-powerful and that the little folk had a chance. They were frightened of "imperial" hubris and abuse of power. Dubya has carried on allthrough his terms like the kind of King that the Fathers were so afraid of. That's what I really dislike about him. He must always get his way, and there can be no criticism of him...

And also, I'm thinking: all during August 2001 Bush was getting daily briefings about supposed terrorist threats and he didn't say a peep, let alone leave his ranch. Yet THIS makes him drop everything and race back to DC? The man does nothing except for political gain. He even uses God as a tool. he clearly does not care a frig for her life. If Terri had not been of the proper consituency--white, middle class, and CATHOLIC--if she had been, say, gay--he would be the first to advocate pulling the plug, and say it was God's punishment.

This guy made his first rep as a nororious Death Row executer in texas, and NOW he talks of Terri being on Death Row? It makes me sick.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #176
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I would rather have a proper euthanatizing than starve to death if I were Terri and wanted to die.
I'd rather have had everyone let go 14 years ago when I truly died and taken my soul out of limbo. When she does finally meet her maker she's gonna wonder where the hell 15 years went. God's just going to have to tell her "some folks downstairs tried to play me and trapped your soul in the dark all these years."
Old 03-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #177
Refugee

Oooohhh, Bonovox, GOOD POST. "the people downstairs tried to play Me."

Like I said: God is the One Person that he can't arrest and have put in a cage without rights to a trial, or torture, or murder, or fire, or lie to, or hoodwink, or order sexually abused, or rob, or put under house arrest. He'll have all the more to answer for in the brief time he stands before Him (before being shipped off elsewhere), all the more because he claims so blatantly to speak and act in His Name. "You gave your life to Me, and I gave you a chance. And THIS is how you repaid My mercy." There are backsliders, G.W., and there are desecrators of the Name. You fall into that rare category. I, as a Christian since 1988, say this. I'm not in your camp, and I'm not fooled.

There is one Bibilical verse that applies to this. You wanna quote the Bible, Georgy boy? This is from Matthew (I think, I can't quote chapter and verse at the moment): "You blow neither cold nor hot. And because you blow neither cold nor hot, I will spew you from out my mouth." That's how he plays God in his polices, and that's how much he cares. Reports are that a memo is circulating among the GOP in the Senate on how to use this issue to throw the Democratic Senator from FLA out of office next year.

If you were just a Nixon type that would be bad enough. But you do this in the name of freedom, and justice, and democracy, and human rights--you have dragged our nation into the international gutter in HIS Name. You really are no better than those we claim to fight (and I say 'claim" b/c when was the last time you saw Binny's or Al_Quedas' na,e in the news?

Wrod has it (from that Dublin article) that during a 9-minute encore break similar to the one that was in the last part of ZooTV, the band is going to have a 3-D presentation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights projected onto fog, with audio accompaniment. Never a better time. It would be good for Europeans to see but we in the US NEED to see it. It would be good to think that the show is as political as the album is NOT.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #178
Refugee

PS..Stray Dog..do I see a U2 lyric here? "Don't beleive in what they tell me, there ain't no cure..the rich stay healthy, and the sick stay poor."
Old 03-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #179
Refugee

PPS. I am reading this thread and would like to reply to MacPhistowannbe.

Yes, Lincoln suspended habeus corpus and did all sorts of legal chicanery in the Civil War, as did many before and after him. BUT what kind of a toll did that war take on him? He was SUCH a sad man by the time it was over.....nothing he did or ordered came without great personal cost. The famous pics say it all. His was the wisdom to know that in war, there are no winners, not even among those who win. We all sacrifice something deep, something awful, even as we supposedly make gains. His was a face and voice that will speak to the ages: "Why must it come to this??"

And that is ANOTHER thing I can't stand about Bush. These things do not appear to affect him personally at all. When any other man ordered troops into battle, it was a grave, momentous decision. And yet here he was many months later, publicy quoted as saying, "Oh, 2 or 3 deaths a day really are nothing." If human life ever really meant less to anybody, it is him. His casual disregard is appalling, and I'm not the only one who thinks this. We're all just pawns in the game, divide and conquer, and the more confusion works to his advantage.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
the one good thing that i've had come out of this is that i sent an email to my parents asking them to pull the plug on me should i ever be a vegetable. i also asked two friends to promise to smother me should i become a vegetable. they asked me to do the same.
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Angela
While that is certainly a good first step, it's still just a "but she/he told me" deal. Much better to have it written down. I checked out a site that will allow you to fill out a living will for free (at least for most states).
Living Will

It's certainly better than nothing...at least it's written down and signed.