MERGED: Talking about a revolution + London says NO! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:14 PM
About 500 people showed up at the demonstration in Birmingham, in the U.S, today. I have an awful cold but I went anyway. I had to. It was fantastic. I'm really proud I was part of it and I hope to heck we can stop this insanity.

Old 02-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
I haven't been able to find pics yet of NYC & LA, but the police said NYC had over 500,000 and they always estimate low. It was a sight to behold on Worldlink. Cleveland wasn't bad for the size of the city. Last week the Republican Mayor sponsored a resolution making it one of the 107 cities on record as against the war.
Just wanted to send you a Sounds great. Last month, during the World Social Forum here in my hometown, Porto Alegre, some participants from US (there were 1.000, biggest representation after the host, us brazilians) got to be heard by the local media and they said that there have been huge protests and manifestations in US, but their media kinda ignore them. It seems that, despite the media boicot, things are improving there.

Old 02-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #33
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
and I hope to heck we can stop this insanity.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:03 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 AM
30.000 people in downtown So Paulo, 20.000 in Rio, 10.000 more spread through other cities...yeah, Im following the local news . Unfortunetaly I couldnt go to the local protest, but I just read it was impressive.

Old 02-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
OMG, Kiev!!! Wow, spiff!! I haven't looked at all of the pix but I'm going to try to find Sofia, Bulgaria as well. Spiff sign about "not always wanting to be German".

I found Sofia! Not to mention Budapest, Bucharest, Warsaw, Berlin and other cities that didn't used to allow demonstrations against the government. This is fantastic.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #36
The Fly

Most of those pics were impressive displays of civil protest BUT - If I were an american I would be quite offended at those protesters burning my flag. Gee, I don't suppose those individuals had a bias before all this Iraq stuff, do you?
Old 02-15-2003, 11:40 PM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the olive
Most of those pics were impressive displays of civil protest BUT - If I were an american I would be quite offended at those protesters burning my flag. Gee, I don't suppose those individuals had a bias before all this Iraq stuff, do you?

That's a good point. No one's making war on Islam, that's ridiculous.

I think...that everyone has their own reasons for being there. But it seems that the majority of the people protesting were doing so for the right reasons.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by the olive

Oh, I do *not* like the flag burning. I'm an American and this really did offend me. I don't think idiots like this typified Demonstrator X today, however. Most had no intention of burning an American flag or committing an act like the one in Greece where a car was firebombed or something like that. This was indeed offensive.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:52 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 AM
los angeles
Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 AM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Marched today (Sunday16th) in Sydney with my husband - about 300.000 to 400.000 people.
Was just astonishing!

Photos incredible - thanks so much.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:25 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think what this really shows is Bush's glaring lack of diplomacy. I have a feeling that Clinton could have amassed support for this war.

But we all know that all the protest in the world isn't going to change a thing...

Melon
1) Yes. Bushs administation has f***ed up U.S. foreign diplomatic policies.

2) I dont think Clinton would have supported that war, or talked of an axis of evil, at all.

3) Sometimes it changes things... when it gets a little dangerous for some players (meaning that they feel unsure about being able to continue with their criminal acts all throughout the world), even if they got all the power they need, they might think to alternatives.

There is a point where Bush is forced to care about public opinion. Not yet, maybe. But the time may come as well.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:36 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

London says NO to war!

Did anyone else join the demo of TWO MILLION people in London yesterday? The biggest demonstration in British history!

It was the most amazing protest I've ever joined. The diversity of the protestors was incredible, it wasn't just the people who normally join anti-war demos, but schoolchildren, families, even the Tories were there!! (Okay, I laughed at the Conservatives against the War banner but I was glad to see it there.)

The demo really showed just how strongly British people feel about this issue. We don't want war. Two million feel so strongly that they'll go all the way to London to protest. Millions more oppose war but weren't able to go to the demonstration. Surely Blair has to listen now?

And it wasn't only London - there were demos in more than 400 cities across the world, it's estimated that over 100 million people took part altogether. I think we can say world opinion is against the war

Did anyone else join the London protest, or any of the others? Share your thoughts about it - what banners did you see, what did you chant/sing, who did you see there?

Old 02-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:14 PM
to London.

I am amazed.

What is Blair gonna do now... this pseudo social, neoliberal asshole?
Old 02-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

WOW! Thank you so much for posting all those pictures...it's amazing to see the depth of anti-war feeling right around the world.

It's great to hear from people here who joined the protests
Old 02-16-2003, 07:43 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
to London.

I am amazed.

What is Blair gonna do now... this pseudo social, neoliberal asshole?
Well I don't think it's far-fetched to say that Blair could find that his support for war destroys his political career. The Labour party is split on this issue, sure Blair gets the support of the right of the party, but the majority of Labour party members oppose this war (72% according to the last poll I saw) and if Blair goes ahead with it then there will be huge repercussions for him, even to the point of him losing leadership of the Labour party or (hopefully not) Labour losing the next election.

And *pseudo social, neoliberal asshole* is one of the best descriptions I've ever heard of him