MERGED--> So...Ron Paul + Vote Ron Paul - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:58 PM
So...Ron Paul

We were having all our Ron Paul discussions in the Huckabee thread, so I thought i'd make a new thread for the Congressman.

By the way, over $6 million raised yesterday. All time best in a single day for any politician in the history of the nation.

"Candidate has most successful fundraising day in American political history

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA -- Congressman Ron Paul’s presidential campaign had a record fundraising day yesterday.

In a 24-hour period on December 16, the campaign raised $6.026 million dollars, surpassing the one-day record of $5.7 million held by John Kerry."

RonPaul2008.com

Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Post a picture of the blimp.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Ron Paul once ran as a Libertarian candidate.
*switched to Republican to get elected.

Wrong move methinks.

Imagine the American people voting for freedom, not more big, intrusive government.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

Wrong move methinks.
It's the only move he could make. The libertarian party is far too weak, not electable.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Ron Paul once ran as a Libertarian candidate.
*switched to Republican to get elected.

Wrong move methinks.
Eh, like I said before, though, having him as a Republican candidate allows people to see that not every candidate for that party this year is insane.

Angela
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Is he not insane as well? Must admit I haven't read much about him. Anyone able to point to a good article that isn't propaganda one way or the other?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Is he not insane as well? Must admit I haven't read much about him.
Less so than the others. Here's his site if you're interested:

www.ronpaul2008.com

Angela
Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Less so than the others. Here's his site if you're interested:

www.ronpaul2008.com

Angela
Just read through his 'issues' page. He doesn't seem batshit crazy as much as well researched, ie he knows his target audience perfectly. Whether his target audience are batshit crazy or not though....
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I think he's nuts, but at least he's nuts and entertaining.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Just read through his 'issues' page. He doesn't seem batshit crazy as much as well researched, ie he knows his target audience perfectly. Whether his target audience are batshit crazy or not though....
His issues page is total BS. Read the taxes one, how he talks around what he actually wants to do, which is raise the national sales tax to 23% while abolishing income tax completely. Only an insane person would come up with an idea so stupid, but then again it fits in perfectly with the Republican motto of "I got mine, fuck you." It is completely contrary to any rational tax model, since it violates both the concepts of neutrality and equality, but hey he'll find some looney segment of the population to buy into this.

That's just one of his nutbag ideas. I won't even get into lowering the prosecution age to specifically target black male youth (down to 13, btw).
Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Ron Paul is not a true libertarian. Instead, he is what one would call a "paleolibertarian"; that is, a so-called "libertarian" who focuses on "economic freedom," while holding socially conservative positions.

In other words, Ron Paul is a conservative Republican.

His positions on gay rights, in particular, are so backwards to the point that I cannot stand the man.

Quote:
In 2004, he spoke in support of the Defense of Marriage Act (passed in 1996) which limited the U.S. Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause by allowing states to refuse to recognize "same-sex marriages" performed in other states if they so choose. He co-sponsored the Marriage Protection Act, which would have barred judges from hearing cases pertaining to the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act.

In 2005, Paul introduced the We the People Act, which would have removed from the jurisdiction of federal courts "any claim based upon the right of privacy, including any such claim related to any issue of sexual practices, orientation, or reproduction" and "any claim based upon equal protection of the laws to the extent such claim is based upon the right to marry without regard to sex or sexual orientation." If made law, these provisions would allow states to regulate sexual practices and "same-sex marriage" independently.

Ron Paul has been a critic of the Supreme Court's decision on the Lawrence v. Texas case in which sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment. In an essay posted to the Lew Rockwell website he wrote:

"Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court in June. The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment “right to privacy.” Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights – rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards."
So here's the question I'd like to ask Ron Paul:

If a state decided to re-legalize racial segregation, would he support the "state's right" to do so? And if he didn't, why not? Doesn't the state have the right to regulate "social matters" using "local standards"?

Paul is just another conservative Republican wearing libertarian clothes. It is, frankly, no wonder why most self-professed libertarians are considered to be jokes in American politics.

He deserves to lose.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
His issues page is total BS. Read the taxes one, how he talks around what he actually wants to do, which is raise the national sales tax to 23% while abolishing income tax completely. Only an insane person would come up with an idea so stupid, but then again it fits in perfectly with the Republican motto of "I got mine, fuck you." It is completely contrary to any rational tax model, since it violates both the concepts of neutrality and equality, but hey he'll find some looney segment of the population to buy into this.
Let's not forget that he also wants us to return to the gold standard, just so he can fulfill some macho fantasy about a "strong dollar." No other nation does this, and no sane economist backs this idea either. There is such a thing as making your currency so valuable as to make your nation undesirable for global trade. And, secondly, rather than the "soft recessions" we've had over the last 30 years or so, a return to the gold standard risks periodic "hard recessions," if not outright economic depressions, due to the gold standard's inherent monetary inflexibility.

The more I read about Paul, the more I see Pat Buchanan, not a libertarian. I also know that there's a rather large anti-war sentiment out there, and for good reason. However, it is not a good enough reason to elect a bad candidate on all the other matters of importance.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's a lot of money going to waste.

Although, I must say, the grassroots effort by his supporters is pretty incredible.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm glad he's there to shake things up.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
it fits in perfectly with the Republican motto of "I got mine, fuck you."
Yep, this motto is always recited