MERGED--> So...Ron Paul + Vote Ron Paul - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Ron Paul may have said those kind of quotes, but name one candidate who has not said something considered to be wrong in most people's minds. Or name one candidate who has not misspoken or changed their minds on certain issues, etc.

This wasn't a slip of the tongue, or a bad joke, this was written in his book. And it's not just something that may be "considered to be wrong in most people's minds," it was just flat out racist.

Yes, people can change their minds, but like Anitram said, for anyone to have these views in their adult life raises some eyebrows.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think its perfectly rational to get rid of the income tax and not replace it with anything. Remember, if income taxes weren't collected in 2006, the government would have earned the same amount of revenues as all the tax collections from 2000.

It is completely rational to think that we can live on the budget of 2000.
Yeah, but that's just one year. Where are we going to be after a decade of no income tax?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Not the racist crap?
No, because I doubt that what he said will have any effect on any policy if he gets elected. He still believes in 0% Income Tax and an end to the war in Iraq. That is what is important to me.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yeah, but that's just one year. Where are we going to be after a decade of no income tax?
What do you mean? I don't get your question. There will still be growth in non-income tax revenues. So obviously in the year 2020, even if there will be no income tax, we'd have more revenues then the year 2000.

The point i'm trying to make is that if the government collected the same amount of money as in 2000 for 2007, it won't be a problem if we cut enough of crap spending.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Why do the quotes not matter? They're actually very good insight into what the real beliefs of the person are, as opposed to just a this or that kind of thing you'd see on some list. They're very important.

There's a difference between disagreeing and offensive when it comes to these quotes. The quote there was offensive.

It seemed to me from your post that you were using "Big Picture" as a cop out to avert from the details and the problems with his plan. Fair enough if that's not the case.
I understand he said those things. And I can definitely see why they were offensive and I wouldn't want anyone to say anything like that about my race. But when he gets elected I hugely doubt any racist policy will make it through the system, if those are really his personal beliefs.

Look, there are no perfect candidates. If someone was running who is willing to cut taxes and end the war the same way Ron Paul is, and if I would like that other person's personality, etc. more, i'd probably vote for that other person.

But is someone like that running? No. So from the pool of candidates, Ron Paul best fits me. If Ron Paul wasn't running, I would be probably be supporting Barack Obama, I think I like him the second most.

Speaking of which, I really doubt Ron Paul is racist, really. The reason is that before he started running for the Republican nomination this year, he was a BARACK OBAMA supporter. He wouldn't have suppored Obama if he was racist.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:

This wasn't a slip of the tongue, or a bad joke, this was written in his book. And it's not just something that may be "considered to be wrong in most people's minds," it was just flat out racist.

Yes, people can change their minds, but like Anitram said, for anyone to have these views in their adult life raises some eyebrows.
I understand what you are saying. Adults do change their minds though. And I can completely see why what he said can be considered racist. But as I said in my above post, I doubt he is racist.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

What do you mean? I don't get your question. There will still be growth in non-income tax revenues. So obviously in the year 2020, even if there will be no income tax, we'd have more revenues then the year 2000.

The point i'm trying to make is that if the government collected the same amount of money as in 2000 for 2007, it won't be a problem if we cut enough of crap spending.
Yes, but you are making a very complex economic issue into a very simple one line statement.

My point is that if one year of not collecting income tax, like your example, would have set us back 6 years. Which is fine, we could probably live off our 2000 revenue if MAJOR changes in spending were made, but they would have to be huge. This completely ignores inflation, our defecit spending as of late, and other economic factors.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:

Yes, but you are making a very complex economic issue into a very simple one line statement.

My point is that if one year of not collecting income tax, like your example, would have set us back 6 years. Which is fine, we could probably live off our 2000 revenue if MAJOR changes in spending were made, but they would have to be huge. This completely ignores inflation, our defecit spending as of late, and other economic factors.
Exactly, we would need to have major changes in spending. That is one thing that Ron Paul hasn't denied. He doesn't just say "cut taxes" without adding in that we need to cut spending.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
I understand he said those things. And I can definitely see why they were offensive and I wouldn't want anyone to say anything like that about my race. But when he gets elected I hugely doubt any racist policy will make it through the system, if those are really his personal beliefs.

Speaking of which, I really doubt Ron Paul is racist, really. The reason is that before he started running for the Republican nomination this year, he was a BARACK OBAMA supporter. He wouldn't have suppored Obama if he was racist.
Or maybe Obama fits into his 5% of black non-criminals?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Or maybe Obama fits into his 5% of black non-criminals?

Are you an alter of BVS? Your posts and his have become practically indistinguishable.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

What do you mean he was a Barack supporter. Barack announced in February, Paul formed his exploratory commitee in February(before Barack announced) and then announced in March.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Are you an alter of BVS? Your posts and his have become practically indistinguishable.

Yes I have the ability to be a 33 year old living in TX who can't stand watching baseball and a highschool student in Philly who loves baseball.

I am that talented!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Not at all. BVS posts in only a few forums. I post ... everywhere but PLEBA.

And I don't think we are eye to eye on all views, it just so happens to be on most of them, or at least the primary few talked about in here. There are a lot of issues out there.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Exactly, we would need to have major changes in spending. That is one thing that Ron Paul hasn't denied. He doesn't just say "cut taxes" without adding in that we need to cut spending.
I understand that, but you are still making it extremely simplified. How much of the Senate is going to support all these cuts to their fancy lifestyles or support his changes in policy. Can he do this, just because he says it...

Plus the cuts in spending would have to come well before the removal of income tax.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

i dunno.

i just think that the Ron Paul candidacy is a gigantic middle finger to the GOP establishment by the four or five people left who aren't who either war mongers with a hard-on for empire or religious fanatics who think that if America would just turn to Jesus then crime would go away.