MERGED--> So...Ron Paul + Vote Ron Paul - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the crapload of money he's been raising turns into votes.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
It'll be interesting to see if the crapload of money he's been raising turns into votes.
If it doesn't will he take his money and run as a spoiler?

Excuse me, I mean third-party candidate. You know, the kind that helps the opposing party win the election.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

If it doesn't will he take his money and run as a spoiler?

Excuse me, I mean third-party candidate. You know, the kind that helps the opposing party win the election.
It's quite possible...but who knows.

I have a feeling whatever happens on January 3rd, people will be surprised.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Wow, he really has no policy plan, huh.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
This is interesting.

I don't know how many of you know, but my cousin ran against him in TX, first timer young democrat, lost only by a small margin(given the circumstances), he decided to back out of the next election because Paul could use all of his left over funds to run against him.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

His issues page is total BS. Read the taxes one, how he talks around what he actually wants to do, which is raise the national sales tax to 23% while abolishing income tax completely. Only an insane person would come up with an idea so stupid, but then again it fits in perfectly with the Republican motto of "I got mine, fuck you." It is completely contrary to any rational tax model, since it violates both the concepts of neutrality and equality, but hey he'll find some looney segment of the population to buy into this.

That's just one of his nutbag ideas. I won't even get into lowering the prosecution age to specifically target black male youth (down to 13, btw).
Bullshit. It doesn't say anywhere that he wants to raise the national sales tax to 23%. He wants to abolish the income tax and replace it with NOTHING. Think it is not practical? If there were no income taxes collected in 2006, the Federal Government would have earned the same amount of tax revenues as in the year 2000. So there is nothing crazy about abolishing the income tax. And remember, he IS NOT GOING TO RAISE ANY OTHER TAX.

Secondly, he introduced a proposal to abolish the tax on tips for waiters, etc. I think that shows he is not just in politics to care for the rich.

Do a little research before you go on a rant.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Although, I must say, the grassroots effort by his supporters is pretty incredible.
It is, but I think it merely furthers the adage that Americans vote on image, not substance.

Ron Paul has a great image, as long as one bothers to not go any deeper than the surface.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe this is just a mockup, I found it on Google

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #24
She's the One

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I hope it's the real thing.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Bullshit. It doesn't say anywhere that he wants to raise the national sales tax to 23%. He wants to abolish the income tax and replace it with NOTHING.
From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
4. It has been suggested that the IRS should be eliminated. Do you believe that this makes sense, and if you do, what would you establish in its place?

I have advocated eliminating the IRS for my entire political career. The IRS could be replaced with a flat tax or national sales tax...
Repealing income tax is idiotic. Replacing it with a flat or national sales tax is idiotic and contrary to the Haig-Simons model. Ron Paul seems to have little economic acumen.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I always do research.

Ron Paul supports the Fair Tax Bill, which advocates a 23% fair tax (sales tax). It is no secret he's a supporter of this.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:

You may want to do some yourself...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Allow me to recycle a point I made earlier here...

Quote:
"Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court in June. The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment “right to privacy.” Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights – rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards." - Ron Paul
Then I asked what Paul would do if a state voted to reinstate racial segregation. Would he support "states' rights" in this instance?

I'm sure some of you think it to be a preposterous question in the first place, but, from a 19th century POV, it certainly was not.

Quote:
[Former President John] Tyler (1841-1845) had long been an advocate of states' rights, believing that the question of a state's "free" or "slave" status ought to be decided at the state level, with no input from federal government.
I hope this underscores the injustice of making minority rights and freedoms subject to the tyranny of the majority.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I always do research.

Ron Paul supports the Fair Tax Bill, which advocates a 23% fair tax (sales tax). It is no secret he's a supporter of this.
Okay, if he had to choose between the fair tax and the income tax, he would pick the fair tax.

But he has said time and time again during his campaign, including just tonight on the Glen Beck show that he wants to replace the income tax with NOTHING. He said that if there was no income tax, the government would be getting the same amount of revenues as 10 years ago and that he would just cut spending.

So, as President, he will do all he can to get rid of the IRS and the income tax. And he will not replace it with anything.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You may want to do some yourself...
Read above comment.