MERGED--> So...Ron Paul + Vote Ron Paul - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Exactly. He does not play politics. He sticks to the truth. He does have a lot of support in New Hampshire and maybe, just maybe he can win.
That would be awesome. I can understand why he would attract young people just as Obama is. As a young adult, he's the only Republican I could imagine myself voting for if I agreed with him on more fundamental issues, or if I was a Republican.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #167
Refugee

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

That would be awesome. I can understand why he would attract young people just as Obama is. As a young adult, he's the only Republican I could imagine myself voting for if I agreed with him on more fundamental issues, or if I was a Republican.
That is very interesting. Because as a young adult myself, if I were voting Democrat, i'd vote for Barack and I do respect him a lot.

What issues do you disagree with Ron Paul about?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #168
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:

He does not play politics.
Then why isn't he running as a libertarian?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #169
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Then why isn't he running as a libertarian?
Because the way the 2 party system is set up in this country. It would be a waste of time and money for anyone to not run as a Republican or a Democrat.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
^I understand what you are saying. But I don't think that the Federal or State government would ever allow any type of segregation. In all honesty, I don't think he would even be able to eliminate the federal reserve. And about eliminating the income tax, I know he would try his best to do it, but even if he can't do that, i'll be happy with any tax cut. But I don't think anyone agrees 100% with any of their candidates of choice. Nor do I think any of the candidates have all completely rational stances. That is why I vote based on the issues that matter to me the most.

Right now there are generally two issues that matter to me the most:

Taxes and the War in Iraq

Ron Paul is the only candidate from either side that is both against the war and wants to pull our troops out without any bullshit like Hillary Clinton AND who is for lower taxes. Pretty much every other candidate that is for lower taxes supports the war and every other candidate that is against the war is for raising some sort of taxes. That is why I picked Ron Paul.

Now I'm not just blindly listening to him when he says he will cut taxes and pull out of Iraq. I have done my work on his voting record. He never voted for approval to go into Iraq. He has always been against America's policing the world. He has never voted for a tax hike. He does not seem like a greedy politician because he has never voted for a Congressional pay raise. He has always voted against an unbalanced budget. He is willing to cut a big chunk of the half trillion dollar military budget by closing down bases all over the world and bringing our troops home from all countries (South Korea, Germany, Iraq). So this proves to me that he is:

a) Serious about NOT policing the world.
b) By not policing the world he will cut big spending.
c) By cutting big spending, our taxes will also be lowered.

That is what matters to me and that is why I'm supporting him. And he doesn't really have much marketing at all. The media doesn't give him much airtime. It is the American people who looked up Ron Paul after the first Republican debate after he destroyed Rudy Giuliani about the causes of 9/11. We all searched him up, we did our research and liked what we saw. It was his foreign policy stance that drew me in, not his fiscal policy.
You really don't address Melon's points, though.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:

That is very interesting. Because as a young adult myself, if I were voting Democrat, i'd vote for Barack and I do respect him a lot.

What issues do you disagree with Ron Paul about?
It's not so much specific issues that I can pinpoint. I've been to Paul's website, and I like that he seems to actually be against big business, and he seems to have a good healthcare plan, and a good plan to protect civil liberties. I just don't know if he has real vision to make it happen. I have real issues with the Republican party as a whole, but as I said he seems to stand apart from it. There's still a lack of fundamental agreement I have with him though, especially on the issue of immigration and gun control.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #172
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Because the way the 2 party system is set up in this country. It would be a waste of time and money for anyone to not run as a Republican or a Democrat.
So he plays politics... don't fool yourself, he's just as much a politician as anyone of them.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #173
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Yeah, I don't think he's going to touch that one... that part of Paul's platform is inexcusable. The rest of his platform is filled with mostly impossible economic goals.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #174
Refugee

Quote:

Yes I did. Melon's points were that Ron Paul is just an image and not reality, that he has very good marketing techniques, and that it is crazy of him to want the states to decide on segregation issues.

First of all, I didn't address this in the earlier post. But that is a bit misleading, that he wants the states to decide on segregation issues. He is all for true equality. He is all for individual rights, whether you are white, black, muslim, christian, straight or gay. So under no circumstance would he allow any sort of segregation.

Secondly, I said that it was the people who were drawn to him, he doesn't have any clever marketing techniques.

Third, melon pointed out that some of his stances were insane. But my point is that the reason that I and many others support him is to end America's policing of the world, lower taxes, lower spending. I don't see that in any other candidate. If I did, I would probably have a harder time deciding on the candidate I support.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #175
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

First of all, I didn't address this in the earlier post. But that is a bit misleading, that he wants the states to decide on segregation issues. He is all for true equality. He is all for individual rights, whether you are white, black, muslim, christian, straight or gay. So under no circumstance would he allow any sort of segregation.

False. When asked about gay marriage he said he would leave it up to the states. How is that TRUE equality, same with any other social issue. Basically, I think it's a cop out on Paul's part.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

No you didn't, you generalized Melon's point (and again there) and didn't address his arguments.

Your argument essentially, to me, seems to be: "He's got good stances so ignore the bad stances and the lack of realism in them."
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #177
Refugee

Quote:
No you didn't, you generalized Melon's point (and again there) and didn't address his arguments.

Your argument essentially, to me, seems to be: "He's got good stances so ignore the bad stances and the lack of realism in them."
No, my argument is "Look for the most important stances, they come first." If abortion was the most important stance for me, whether I was pro-life or pro-choice, I certainly wouldn't vote for Ron Paul, who wants to leave abortion rights to the states.

But it isn't. And Ron Paul satisfies my positions on the issues that are most important to me, and that is why i'm supporting him. And I answered the question about the segregation issue. He is not pro-segregation and he is not racist. He is all for individual liberty and says that all individual should have equal rights.

How much more do you want me to stress all of this?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #178
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

False. When asked about gay marriage he said he would leave it up to the states. How is that TRUE equality, same with any other social issue. Basically, I think it's a cop out on Paul's part.
Okay, if he really said that, fair enough. I was basing my argument on him saying that gays should have all the rights to serve in the military as all other people, as he said in one of the previous debates.

Having said all of that, gay marriage is not that important of an issue to me either. And I stand by Ron Paul.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, my argument is "Look for the most important stances, they come first." If abortion was the most important stance for me, whether I was pro-life or pro-choice, I certainly wouldn't vote for Ron Paul, who wants to leave abortion rights to the states.

But it isn't. And Ron Paul satisfies my positions on the issues that are most important to me, and that is why i'm supporting him. And I answered the question about the segregation issue. He is not pro-segregation and he is not racist. He is all for individual liberty and says that all individual should have equal rights.

How much more do you want me to stress all of this?
My issue is that you keep stressing things you've already said and don't address the points that are brought up. So, no, I don't want you to stress more of that.

Here's the thing: as Melon said, Ron Paul probably isn't racist. But with all of the "state's rights" attitude, it opens up the door for states to change things for the worse that the federal government can put away once and for all.

Which is also why he's not for gay rights. To be for gay rights, you have to make it a national issue, one that will give them all the rights they deserve as American citizens. By saying it's a state issue, it's exactly what BVS said: a cop out.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #180
Refugee

Quote:

My issue is that you keep stressing things you've already said and don't address the points that are brought up. So, no, I don't want you to stress more of that.

Here's the thing: as Melon said, Ron Paul probably isn't racist. But with all of the "state's rights" attitude, it opens up the door for states to change things for the worse that the federal government can put away once and for all.

Which is also why he's not for gay rights. To be for gay rights, you have to make it a national issue, one that will give them all the rights they deserve as American citizens. By saying it's a state issue, it's exactly what BVS said: a cop out.
I understand that. Can you please provide me with a link where Ron Paul said that he supports the right for states to decide on segregation.

Personally, even if he did say that, which I don't think he did, I don't ever see segregation returning anywhere in this country. That is why I don't think it is that big of a deal, even if he said that. Let me also say that I am a minority, so any sort of segregation would probably hurt me in a negative way. Yet I am confident that we won't ever see segregation in this country. And I really don't think he ever said or meant that he would like the states to decide on segregation, because on his website he says how he supports individual liberties for all people no matter what race, religion, sex, etc. they are.

But if he said that, please can I see a link.