MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
school shooting (again)

This is the 2nd time a gunman has been loose on campus. I don't know if it is just one this time, police haven't said much of anything yet.

Early this morning, 7ish, there were gunshots fired at one of the dorms. Residents came out to find 2 people (one of them an RA) covered in blood. The only official statement on this is that one person is dead, and one is injured.

I'm sick to my stomach. I worked in Residence Life last year, and the RA shot was one of my students. I didn't want anybody to die from this, but I just really really hope he isn't dead. We were having a party tonight, I was looking forward to seeing him again.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to tell my students. My head is spinning, my heart is hurting. I can't focus on anything.

I just heard there was a 2nd shooting later at 10am with multiple shots and multiple victims at an academic building. One person has been caught and is in custody, and they are searching for a 2nd suspect.

I'm shaking. Please, offer prayers and positive thoughts to all those who were involved. I'm supposed to comfort my students about this, but I can't even comfort myself.

Things have been crazy on campus. We've had some bomb threats in a few building last week too. We're all pretty stressed out.

Last edited:
Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

Virginia Tech reports shooting, one killed
Associated Press
Last updated: Monday, April 16th, 2007 07:52:45 AM

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA -- At least one person has been killed in a shooting at a Virginia Tech dorm.

A state government official reports another person is wounded. A posting on the school's Web site warns that the "gunman is loose on the campus."

Virginia Tech officials have canceled classes for the day. Students, faculty and staff have been warned to stay inside and stay away from windows.

School officials say the shooting happened Monday morning at one of the largest dorms on campus. It houses nearly 900 students.

My coworker's youngest kid is a freshman down there, and she is freaking out. Apparently the guy is still loose and unofficial rumor has it that there are a lot more than 1 casualty. Total chaos. :|

I am truly at a loss for the right words right now. The whole situation is horrible and incredibly sad :(. For everyone involved and their families I offer my thoughts and :pray: :pray: :pray: With all of my heart I hope that your student will be ok.

As for you I believe it's understandable that you are not sure how to comfort your students. Like everyone else you are in a complete state of shock right now. Know it's not much but you have my complete comfort and support :hug: :hug: Honestly wish there was something more that I could do for you. Please take care of yourself and stay safe. Perhaps just being surrounded by your fellow students right now will possibly help.

My heart truly goes out to all of you there :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

One of my students was shot. :sad: I can't stop shaking/crying. I'm safe at my apt though.

Mods, can you merge my thread in Zoo with this one? Sorry, I didn't realize Sula had posted this.

There was actually another shooting incident 3 hours later at an academic building. 8-9 victims it sounds like.

Campus is shut down. The police are planning an evacuation for today. There will be a convocation tomorrow. I think this is bigger than I expected.

Last edited:
I thought about you immediately when I heard. The coworker who sits next to me has a son who is a freshman there ,and she's really upset. I wish I could say something encouraging, but at least know that positive thoughts and prayers are going in your direction. :hug:

I am so sorry. Please stay safe.

My prayers today will be for you and your students. I cannot imagine.

:sad:
17 students are confirmed to being treated at the local hospital (gunshot wounds & injuries) and 7 students have been sent to some other hospitals for trauma.

the 2nd shooting happened in a classroom.

this is surreal.

Wow--I hadn't heard about the second shooting. I'm really sorry about your student, unico, and I will keep the campus community in my prayers. I teach at a university, too, so stories like these always hit close to home.

:hug:

things are still sketchy, but it doesn't look like 20 dead, only close to 20 hurt.

[q]CNN) -- One person was killed and several were wounded in two shootings on the Virginia Tech university campus in Blacksburg on Monday, The Associated Press and the university reported.

The AP reported that one person was killed and one wounded in a shooting at a dormitory. Another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported.

There were seven or eight total casualties in the two incidents, AP reported.

"Police have one shooter in custody, and as part of routine police procedure they continue to search for a second shooter," the university said in a written statement.

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of student running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem."

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

The shootings come three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.[/q]

Irvine511 said:
things are still sketchy, but it doesn't look like 20 dead, only close to 20 hurt.

[q]CNN) -- One person was killed and several were wounded in two shootings on the Virginia Tech university campus in Blacksburg on Monday, The Associated Press and the university reported.

The AP reported that one person was killed and one wounded in a shooting at a dormitory. Another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported.

There were seven or eight total casualties in the two incidents, AP reported.

"Police have one shooter in custody, and as part of routine police procedure they continue to search for a second shooter," the university said in a written statement.

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of student running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem."

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

The shootings come three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.[/q]

Thanks Irvine, but I think that is old news. It has definitely been 20 students confirmed dead. They said so at a press conference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom