MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see things on my TV all the time
if it said there was a domestic dispute killing one block over, I don't know how much I would react.

If it said someone was on a "killing spree" one block over, my reaction would be quite different.

The only reason the first killings are being included in "the spree" is because of what happened two hours later.

If only the second incident occurred first, I believe they would have treated it completely different.

That old saying "hindsight is 20/20" fits. I think most people do what they think is right at the time, and I think that is the case here. The only person who deserves blame is the shooter. Certainly others made errors, but virtually every person in this world is capable of making errors that can result in the death of others. In time the errors made here need to be examined and ways of preventing those errors from being made again need to be made.

deep said:
I see things on my TV all the time
if it said there was a domestic dispute killing one block over, I don't know how much I would react.

If it said someone was on a "killing spree" one block over, my reaction would be quite different.

Still, it occured at an isolated rural campus, not a big city. I consider two victims to be a shooting spree in that context. Universities send emails about trivial issues all the time, and the first incident was anything but trivial.

i do want to thank everyone who has expressed their condolences. :hug:
i know this sounds silly, but it feels really good to know that i have support from you all. this has been a horrible day. the news just seems to get worse.

Brian Williams of NBC has flown to Virginia Tech and will broadcast live from there tonight (in about 3 minutes). That's probably the last news I'll be able to watch for awhile...then I'm going to a meeting on campus where there are counselors and faculty...pretty much a big group hug. :hug:s to all.

ntalwar said:

Still, it occured at an isolated rural campus, not a big city. I consider two victims to be a shooting spree in that context. Universities send emails about trivial issues all the time, and the first incident was anything but trivial.

Not looking to get into a debate on this subject, but an email would not have done a good job notifying all the students of the situation. How many students would check their email before going off to their 8am or 9am class? Sadly, I don't think that there would've been a way to notify everyone short of having air raid sirens go off.

Last edited:
Mia I am sorry to hear of your loss

When I heard about these events earlier while at work, I had a nasty feeling someone here would be personally affected in some way :(

randhail said:

Not looking to get into a debate on this subject, but an email would not have done a good job notifying all the students of the situation. How many students would check their email before going off to their 8am or 9am class? Sadly, I don't think that there would've been a way to notify everyone shore of having air raid sirens go off.

no point to debating it

the totality of this is hard to process

but if the shooter had been caught after the first incident

with just two dead
this event would be getting very little attention outside of the local coverage

I knew that
but I would not post it.

but, you sure can.

Again, I am so sorry that this could not have been just another Monday.

deep said:
I knew that
but I would not post it.

but, you sure can.

Again, I am so sorry that this could not have been just another Monday.

i know he means well, but i don't know how much comfort his presence will bring us...it just adds more emotions to my already disrupted mind.

randhail said:

Not looking to get into a debate on this subject, but an email would not have done a good job notifying all the students of the situation. How many students would check their email before going off to their 8am or 9am class? Sadly, I don't think that there would've been a way to notify everyone short of having air raid sirens go off.

Right, but word of mouth can spread quickly on a campus. Even one student in twenty who read an email could at least notify friends and classmates.

Tragedy unfolds at Virginia Tech
By Brooke Masters
Updated: 4:12 p.m. PT April 16, 2007

For many of Virginia Tech's 26,000 students, the first inkling they got that something was wrong was a bland e-mail sent to all students shortly after 9am. "A shooting incident occurred at 7:15 am in West Ambler Johnston Hall … The university community is asked to be cautious and asked to contact police with any information."

Little is known about the first incident, in which two people were killed in a student dormitory. But authorities described it as "domestic in nature" and students said they had been told it stemmed from an argument between a boyfriend and girlfriend.

Most buildings on the bucolic campus are open to the public, but West A-J, like all dormitories, has higher security and visitors must either have a student identity card or be admitted by a resident. As police scrambled to investigate the first incident, campus authorities decided not to shut down classes.

"We had some reason to suspect the shooter had left the campus and might be leaving the state," said Charles Steger, university president. Some students were warned to stay indoors and away from windows after the first incident; many didn't get the message and went to class as usual. Some walked into a massacre.

Trey Perkins and Derek O'Dell told MSNBC they were attending a German class at Norris Hall, an engineering classroom building more than half a mile from the first shooting site. Around 9:40am, they heard some loud pops in the hallway. A young Asian man wearing a maroon hat and a black leather jacket burst through the door and opened fire.

"A guy comes into the room, he shot our teacher, we all got on the ground real quick and he started shooting at different people. It seemed like a really long time," Mr Perkins said. "He didn't say a single word the entire time. He didn't say get down. He just came in and started shooting."

Students threw desks between themselves and the gunman, to no avail. Mr O'Dell, who was treated for a gunshot to the upper arm, estimated that 10 or more people were hit by bullets in his classroom alone.

The gunman left the room and then tried to return, but the occupants braced themselves against the door, the students said. He fired several more shots before leaving. Out in the hallway on the second floor, Gene Cole, who has worked in housekeeping for Virginia Tech's housekeeping services for more than two decades, saw a person lying on the floor.

As Mr Cole approached, a man wearing a hat and holding a black gun stepped into the hallway. "Someone stepped out of a classroom and started shooting at me," Mr Cole told the Roanoke Times. He fled down the corridor, then down a flight of steps to safety. "All I saw was blood in the hallways," he said.

Thirty-one people, including the gunman, were killed at Norris Hall, bringing the total death toll to 33. Fifteen more were being treated at area hospitals. The suspect was reportedly carrying two handguns including at least one 9mm handgun equipped with several clips holding 15 bullets apiece. He carried no identification and has not been identified, police said.

unico said:
my student was shot and killed. it has been confirmed from his mother. :sad:

i dont know what to do/say

U2democrat said:
I just found out that a friend of mine is in critical condition after having been shot in the chest...I'm shaking right now...

I feel bad for you two :hug: Nobody deserves this kind of heartbreaking news :sad: :hug:

I'm just :shocked: at how many people died at the hands of this gunperson.

unico said:
my student was shot and killed. it has been confirmed from his mother. :sad:

i dont know what to do/say

Oh, Mia! I'm so sorry. :pray: :hug: I'll be thinking of you and his family.

I just got back from a support gathering where counselors, faculty and students mingled together...it was very nice and comforting. Everybody knows somebody who was in some way affected. Lord this is horrible.

Still no update on my friend who was shot...the worst part of this is not knowing...the uncertainty...

U2democrat said:
I just got back from a support gathering where counselors, faculty and students mingled together...it was very nice and comforting. Everybody knows somebody who was in some way affected. Lord this is horrible.

Still no update on my friend who was shot...the worst part of this is not knowing...the uncertainty...
:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom