MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:
my student was shot and killed. it has been confirmed from his mother. :sad:

i dont know what to do/say

Sorry to hear this news.

watching the press conference

it seems like the reporters want a gotcha moment

I can not see any huge mistakes by the authorities here

the first incident, what appeared to be a random killing

does not warrant

the same response as the second,
a large killing spree, like Columbine.

deep said:

the first incident, what appeared to be a random killing

does not warrant

the same response as the second,
a large killing spree, like Columbine.

I still think a lot of students and parents will question the two hour plus notification delay of a shooting on campus for a long time.

deep said:
I also, do not want to debate the 2nd amendment in this thread

but, I think it is fair to include what
the school leaders, virginia politicians, and the whitehouse has to say about this

And to be fair to the White House, Bush did have this to say:

"Schools should be places of sanctuary and safety and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community. Today, our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones at Virginia Tech.”

U2democrat said:
I just found out that a friend of mine is in critical condition after having been shot in the chest...I'm shaking right now...

I am so sorry for your friend, this is so horrible. I'll be praying for everyone to find peace.

biga.gif

:hug: :hug:

Mia, Laura, others from here who know people involved today, my condolences :hug:

Of course the same to families and friends of those who were taken or injured by this madness.

unico said:
they just posted ryan's picture on the news. i can't believe it. i CAN'T BELIEVE THIS.

:( How heartbreaking for you and his family and friends.

It's shocking. I was actually writing an exam this afternoon, it was hard and long and we all got home feeling bad about it and then you turn the TV on and it puts things into perspective.

How many of us have lived in a university residence or gone to university? It's hard not to think...it could have been us. Those people shot may be adults technically, but they're still somebody's babies. What a tragedy. :(

ntalwar said:

I still think a lot of students and parents will question the two hour plus notification delay of a shooting on campus for a long time.

It's horrible to think that nearly all of these deaths could've been prevented had university officials handled things differently. I anticipate a long, drawn-out, "mistakes were made" sort of debate about the whole thing. I also hope that universities nationwide will develop a plan of action for a similar situation, though hopefully none will ever have to use it.

Mia, I'm so sorry about your student. Laura, I hope you hear good news about your friend's prognosis soon. I can't imagine how helpless you and everyone affected by this must feel, but I know all of us here are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers :hug:

Things like this shouldn't happen at all. I don't understand how people can turn on themselves.

It is so disturbing to know that 33 families have lost a loved one.
You send them off to school and they are supposed to be safe.

Mia, always here if you need me.:hug:

My heart aches for everyone involved. :sad:

ntalwar said:

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said authorities believed that the shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute and mistakenly thought the gunman had fled the campus.

"We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur," he said.

I read in my local paper all the time where there is a domestic dispute type killing.

the police never shut down the shopping mall across the street, expecting the killer to go on a killing spree.

and I suppose if some killer did both
many would fault police for not shutting down the area after each isolated killing.

After the dust settles, there will be lots of civil actions. Count on it.

I also imagine it must be horrifying to be the shooter's family or friends today. What was he thinking and how do you cope with that?

anitram said:
After the dust settles, there will be lots of civil actions. Count on it.

should people be able to file lawsuits in every case

say there was an isolated domestic dispute killing

and the authorities did not warn and lock down the surrounding area?

I could understand the blaming if the killer had walked through the dorm and shot it up, in a random way

and they did not get the warnings out.

Terribly sorry for all those affected by this.

I won't fault anyone but the shooter for now. I think it was terrible of the media to try to blame the university officials for this.

Unfortunately, when the criminal dies, people look for some other target too often. The university will continute to attract heat for this.

phillyfan26 said:
Terribly sorry for all those affected by this.

I won't fault anyone but the shooter for now. I think it was terrible of the media to try to blame the university officials for this.

Unfortunately, when the criminal dies, people look for some other target too often. The university will continute to attract heat for this.

I'm not making any official statements. But as a student who lives here and goes to this school, I am concerned as to why I wasn't notified about the first shooting (which happened at 7:15) until 9:30am...minutes before the 2nd shooting happened.

University officials are not being blamed for this, but their response is being questioned.

unico said:

I'm not making any official statements. But as a student who lives here and goes to this school, I am concerned as to why I wasn't notified about the first shooting (which happened at 7:15) until 9:30am...minutes before the 2nd shooting happened.

University officials are not being blamed for this, but their response is being questioned.

I think there will be a time for questioning their response.

deep said:

say there was an isolated domestic dispute killing

and the authorities did not warn and lock down the surrounding area?

This is not an analogous case because the shooter here was willing to shoot others (like the RA) on the scene. It is not a contained situation inside the residence of a couple. As soon as you have external victims, I believe it becomes the prudent course of action to seal off the area pending apprehension of the suspect.

But this thread is really not the place. All those questions will come into play later. If people's lives could have been saved, it's a tragedy. If they couldn't....it's still a tragedy. Just horrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom