MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:58 PM
These are the e-mails I received:

9:29am
A shooting incident occurred at WAJ earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact VTPD if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case.

9:54am
A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows.

10:26am
VT has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

11:03am
In addition to an earlier shooting today in WAJ, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.
Police and EMS are on the scene.
Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.
All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.
All entrances to campus are closed.

And then I got the statement from Steger.
I dunno...given the succession of events, it does sound related. They notified us that a shooter was loose on campus minutes before he opened fire on the classroom.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
i dont know how appropriate this might sound considering the immensity of today...but its a day and an event like this that can put something like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth" into context, coming to terms with a tragedy such as this.

I wonder if Bono knows about this yet.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
These are the e-mails I received:

9:29am
A shooting incident occurred at WAJ earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact VTPD if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case.

9:54am
A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows.

10:26am
VT has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

11:03am
In addition to an earlier shooting today in WAJ, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.
Police and EMS are on the scene.
Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.
All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.
All entrances to campus are closed.

And then I got the statement from Steger.
I dunno...given the succession of events, it does sound related. They notified us that a shooter was loose on campus minutes before he opened fire on the classroom.
Wow, it took them almost an hour in between the first report of a shooting to close down campus. Terrible.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Mia.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

thanks again

latest: 32 killed
28(or 29) injured

thats 60 people. i don't understand.

i'm hearing that the first was the shooter's gf, the 2nd was my student, the RA. which, since my student was shot in the leg, and one death was confirmed before the other shooting happened, i think his gf was killed.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Just horrible
Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
thanks again

latest: 32 killed
28(or 29) injured

thats 60 people. i don't understand.
Oh my God. Just got back from the gym...what a useless endeavor...my head's on this story. I keep thinking about all the people I know with kids at Tech.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
i dont know how appropriate this might sound considering the immensity of today...but its a day and an event like this that can put something like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth" into context, coming to terms with a tragedy such as this.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that this is appropriate. Why do we need to involve U2 in every situation?

Mia, again I'm really sorry that you are going through this.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

OMG, I heard the people talking at the Gap I was while I was looking for stuff for my raffle.

I didn't know that is was your college, I'm sooooo sorry this is something your involved in. I will be praying for you and everyone else really strong.

I am at a loss for words and please know you can count on me anytime. I've got real big shoulders!

Love ya :Pray: :Pray: :Pray:

JC

Let me know if you need to talk I will email you my number.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Man my mom just told me about this and I can't believe how horrible this is. It makes me so angry.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #86
Refugee

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Mia, Unico and everyone.....I embrace you and hold all of you in my heart.

My prayers and deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this horrendous crime!

Now is not the time for pointing fingers nor to say what is burning in my insides.....there will be time for that later - right now I share your grief and I only wish there was a way I could console you.

There are no words......
Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

I'm hoping more info comes out soon. I think it is bizarre that 60 people are killed/injured by one person. I haven't heard about another shooter...but a contact said that about 12 suspects have been rounded up for questioning. It scares me to think someone can still be out there.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #88
Refugee

Local Time: 06:58 PM
CNN keeps reporting how this is a horrible time for the country and the world all I can think about is it's a horrible time for the families, and the people at that school.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of the gunfire at the classroom building.

Students are carried to safety on the university campus

One student told Sky News of students "throwing desks and whatever they could to barricade the doors" as the shooter opened fire in the classroom building.

Police were searching for a second gunman, though initial reports said this was a matter of routine.

Sky also reported one witness describing a gunman as Asian, wearing a vest with an "ungodly" amount of ammunition, firing at will.

Reports suggested the massacre may have been sparked by a romance gone wrong with the gunman hunting down his girlfriend.

The name of the gunman was not immediately released, and investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not immediately known if the gunman was a student.

One witness told Sky News that the only way to enter a dorm from 10pm until 10am was with a student card used as a key to unlock the dorm.

The FBI has said there is no indication the incident was related to terrorism.

Aimee Kanode, a first-year student, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. The resident assistant in Kanode's dormitory knocked on her door about 8 a.m. (1200 GMT) to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

An unidentified man is arrested. It is unclear what role he played in the shooting

" the massacre may have been sparked by a romance gone wrong with the gunman hunting down his girlfriend."

I think this is more about a "romance gone wrong" (from the shooter's perspective)

than a person being "Asian" or "Asian-American"
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:58 PM
it just keeps getting worse