MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #481
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:26 AM
CBC news has made a management decision to not show much of anything from the documents received by NBC. The radio reported some of the contents and a few phrases. While the National news program showed quick glimpses of a couple of pics and they fanned through the papers. Apparently, they said there are studies which show that showing all that info could lead to copycat crimes and CBC management has decided to fall on the side of caution.

I think people should be more aware now though as there are still many people out there who are feeling the same as the person who committed this horrendous act. These people might feel motivated to act in a similar manner. I hope not but please be careful especially students.

What I have found to be very worrying is the fact that this person was diagnosed with mental illness. He was known to be a risk, yet our society still fails to recognize mental illness on the same level as cancer or heart disease. Depression, feelings of unacceptance, and similar disorders are a growing problem in our society and we have to start treating people seriously and not just throwthem back into the community with the feeling that they will be ok.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #482
Refugee

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

My suggestion is that you just avoid the news for a while, because nothing will stop the flow of free information. This is coming from a journalism student directly.

Just turn off the news until the fever has subsided. Rely on friends and family for support or any details you want. They will be much more sensitive to you than any network can.
Absolutely......this is not going to go anywhere.........especially for you Mia............ what you are experiencing and will continue to have are pure raw emotions for a while and it's going to take a toll.....not that I don't want you on here.....but I seriously believe you need a rest from the "blue crack", i'm concerned you are going to come across some posts that might tear you apart that may not have necessarily bothered you before VT ......plus you are also contending with images and information from all forms local and national media.

I swear i'm not trying to be corny............i know what i'm like when my mind is constantly set on something, you can feel yourself crushing.............make sure you go to counselling even if you feel or think you don't need it.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

Absolutely......this is not going to go anywhere.........especially for you Mia............ what you are experiencing and will continue to have are pure raw emotions for a while and it's going to take a toll.....not that I don't want you on here.....but I seriously believe you need a rest from the "blue crack", i'm concerned you are going to come across some posts that might tear you apart that may not have necessarily bothered you before VT ......plus you are also contending with images and information from all forms local and national media.

I swear i'm not trying to be corny............i know what i'm like when my mind is constantly set on something, you can feel yourself crushing.............make sure you go to counselling even if you feel or think you don't need it.
thank you fly. and thanks everyone. i appreciate all of your concern.

you're right. i should probably take a break. i feel myself getting emotional and upset from some posts in here, and even taking things personally. i've also made a point to stay away from certain threads where i suspect some elements of this tragedy are being discussed.

that being said, i want to apologize if anyone feels like i attacked him/her.

i will visit here less and less today, but i will definitely walk away this weekend when my friends start coming tomorrow night.

and don't worry, i will definitely be going to counseling. as a student affairs practicioner, i do not attach any sort of stigma to it, and i am aware of the benefits. i have even referred my students to the counseling center, telling them that they would feel so much better if they went. i think i will go after this weekend.

anyway, i want to share an email i got this morning that brought me to tears:

I wanted to let you know something that I thought I would like to hear if it was me - the night before Ryan died he and I and Jeananne were in the IG until like midnight planning the anniversary party and he was asking about the guest list...he specifially asked if Mia would be there and Jeananne said yes and then he went on a rant for a good minute about how much he loved you and how awesome you were.

he was thinking of me the night before he died. that means sooo much.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #484
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Keep asking questions Mia, you have every right to, and take care of yourself and stay strong. God bless.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #485
ONE
love, blood, life

Mia, I think you should take a break from here and just pm those of who you want to talk with. I always here for you too!

Have you been journaling? I always find that when I am mad or upset to write everything is an outlet.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.
The public, and even close family members, are not given every detail on every piece of evidence in on-going criminal investigations, regardless of whether they want them or not. When the time comes, it will all be presented in trial which will then be public record.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #487
Refugee

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

anyway, i want to share an email i got this morning that brought me to tears:

I wanted to let you know something that I thought I would like to hear if it was me - the night before Ryan died he and I and Jeananne were in the IG until like midnight planning the anniversary party and he was asking about the guest list...he specifially asked if Mia would be there and Jeananne said yes and then he went on a rant for a good minute about how much he loved you and how awesome you were.

That is heart wrenching............and beautiful...........treasure it, Sweety,treasure it.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And that is all that matters. Keep that in your heart-that and what you brought to his life and what he brought to yours. No one can ever take that away. That is more powerful than anyone or anything that the media focuses on.

You take care of yourself too.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #489
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
I'm sorry that people close to this have/may have seen these horrible images. Speaking for myself only, I feel that if the victims had to see this psycho as their last image, I can at least look at the pictures. I'm not sure if that makes any sense but it's how I feel about it today. I do agree people should be given a choice and when it's just blasted all over the TV nonstop there really isn't a choice except to keep the TV off which doesn't seem like a fair choice when coverage of things like the vigil and interviews with people could help in the healing process. To just have to turn it off and not participate in order to avoid the images doesn't seem right.

With so much blatant evidence of his mental illness and potential violence to himself and others, VT and other local authorities are not looking too good right now. Seems like there was enough evidence to remove him from school but maybe it's too early to make that call. People need to be held accountable and at the same time there is already so much guilt, grief, horror and shame, I'd be reluctant to cast blame when there are so many factors that play into such a complex and extreme situation.

Just so unspeakably sad and horrible all around.

Mia, take care of yourself.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #490
Blue Crack Addict

Some photos that really matter-of those who died. Smiling and happy. Let's focus on their names and faces and lives

http://www.people.com/people/gallery...5543_1,00.html
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #491
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Some photos that really matter-of those who died. Smiling and happy. Let's focus on their names and faces and lives

Indeed.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #492
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:56 PM
i just still can't get over this....

some many emotions are running through my mind, and im so far removed from the situation, i cannot imagine how you are feeling mia
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #493
Blue Crack Addict

This has better autobiographies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

There's nothing objectionable on those pages other than story titles that you'd have to click on, in case anyone is concerned about that. Should they change that for some reason, could someone please delete the link.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #494
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

As for the debate as to whether or not we should be finding out about the killer, like I said last night, I don't want those images plastered all over my tv screen or homepage - it's as simple as that. There should be the option to click on a link, something, because curiosity is human nature and I understand that some are fascinated by this sort of thing. I admit, I love psychology and am going to school so I can work in the law field, so part of this does interest me on a certain level, but right now I can't deal with it because it's a) too soon and b) has been so sensationalized it's literally making me sick to my stomach.

Mia and Laura, you two have contstantly been in my thoughts since this has happened.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #495
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 03:56 AM

Quote:
hey im taking a break from painting/sucking at guitar hero, to stop by for a simple request. i probably don't have to say it, but JIC:

please, for my sake, let's not post pics of the shooter, nor the contents of the package,, nor any death scenes or anything. memorial images of the victims is cool though.

i'm not trying to be a mod, its just that i come here to post my reflections, and i dont want to see those images again. i know you all have been really cool about it, but i just wanted to drop this by JIC someone who hasn't been regularly talking in here drops by.

okay, again, please, i don't mean to come off as bossy. i just wanted to come out with it. i know you all understand.

thanks again for all your support, and for talking with me trhough this. i really really really appreciate it.

I'm sorry.....I found that really shocking that people were posting pictures of that stuff on the forum. I mean...at all.....on the forum. That's just......so wrong in so many ways.