MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Thanks for making it official sulawesigirl4

Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

thanks so much

i totally e-mailed msnbc, and told them that i will never watch their news again if the pics arent down by tomorrow. my colleagues and i are now taking turns calling the local news.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:19 AM
I disagree with not discussing the killer. This is an issue that cost lives and we shouldn't turn our back on it. I think that it would be irresponsible to ignore the facts about Cho and his insanity. Perhaps start another thread about it?

This is someone who was seriously ill. Maybe there should be psychological test results presented when purchasing a gun? These things need to be discussed.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #469
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I disagree with not discussing the killer. This is an issue that cost lives and we shouldn't turn our back on it. I think that it would be irresponsible to ignore the facts about Cho and his insanity. Perhaps start another thread about it?

This is someone who was seriously ill. Maybe there should be psychological test results presented when purchasing a gun? These things need to be discussed.

http://forum.interference.com/t175312.html
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wish he hadn't killed himself. I can't help but think there would be nothing more constructive than to have hundred's of doctors and professional, who are, at this point just speculating, actually study him. Having professionals disecting him for the rest of his life, might be some kind of an answer. Would it help? just to see if there is something that could have been done to detect this kind of mass murder intent in someone?.
I don't know if that is possible with such a twisted soul. and it never happens with someone like this. They almost always kill themselves. Something is not wired right with someone like this and I don't know what the solution is..
Sorry, I'm just ramblin now.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
thanks so much

i totally e-mailed msnbc, and told them that i will never watch their news again if the pics arent down by tomorrow. my colleagues and i are now taking turns calling the local news.

I think people have the right to know these things. I'd rather know than to be kept in the dark.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think people have the right to know these things.
You want pics and video manifestos of every psycho on the FBI's Most Wanted list? What exactly for? What is there to know?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 PM   #474
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I think you need to take the time to read what I actually said, which was essentially to please not post the photos from the recent package sent to NBC. If you want to discuss the killer's mental health, state of mind, whatever, of course that's legitimate (although it would be better to do it in another thread) but you also might consider giving this whole thing a couple of days to calm down before starting in to what is certain to be a long and really never-ending process of asking "why?" In the meantime, we will show respect to our fellow community members in their time of sorrow by not allowing the person who took the lives of their loved ones to hold power from beyond the grave. That is a choice we CAN make.

If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.
reliving the nightmare of my murdered student isn't going to wash away my tears or take away my pain.

i don't need the pictures. i can read about it, but i don't need those haunting images.

you're talking in hypothetics. i really do think if you lived here, you'd feel differently. all of my colleagues are upset by the images and video being broadcast.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

I think you need to take the time to read what I actually said, which was essentially to please not post the photos from the recent package sent to NBC. If you want to discuss the killer's mental health, state of mind, whatever, of course that's legitimate (although it would be better to do it in another thread) but you also might consider giving this whole thing a couple of days to calm down before starting in to what is certain to be a long and really never-ending process of asking "why?" In the meantime, we will show respect to our fellow community members in their time of sorrow by not allowing the person who took the lives of their loved ones to hold power from beyond the grave. That is a choice we CAN make.

If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.
I wasn't necessarily replying to your post. I think you need to take the time and read my post and see that I did suggest starting a new thread about it.

And yes, I do agree that time is needed for the dust to settle but I also think that these things must be thought about sooner or later.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:19 AM
I understand about not posting photos in here, because obviously it has affected people directly.
But to assume that the media will stop showing his photograph or details of his life is just unreasonable.
Everyone wants to put together pieces of the puzzle, to make things work out in their mind. As awful as it sounds, I've read up on Eric and Dylan so much this past year that I feel like they could have attended my school. I know of kids who were bullied in that way, and combined with a mental illness, I can see how easily someone can pick up a gun and kill indiscriminately.
Just today they had a Columbine survivor on Oprah talking about his work going around schools and informing them on compassion and tolerance. He admitted that a few students had come up to him after his talks and handed them their hit list, or thanking him for stopping what they wanted to do.
There's a fine line between abuse and advocacy, and I think at this point people just want to know why. Everyone wanted to know who Osama was after 9/11, who Eric and Dylan were after Columbine, who Lee Harvey Oswald was after JFK's assassination.

My suggestion is that you just avoid the news for a while, because nothing will stop the flow of free information. This is coming from a journalism student directly.

Edit: I see that people have already beaten me to the punchline, but it still stands.

Just turn off the news until the fever has subsided. Rely on friends and family for support or any details you want. They will be much more sensitive to you than any network can.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #478
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:19 AM
BrownEyedBoy, I think what a lot of people are railing against is the fact that you can't go to a news website or a news channel without being bombarded over and over again with those images and sounds. It's a disgusting amount of overkill, and we'll be seeing them on those sites and channels for weeks.

It's not about not wanting to acknowledge his existence or try to figure out "why." It's a reaction of frustration and disgust at the state of American newsmedia.

(And of course, that's not in reference to this thread in particular, where the desire not to see his face is completely understandable and a reasonable request.)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

i understand all that about learning more of him. i just don't see the need for the photos. i don't mind reading more about him, or hearing more about his history. the photos are just a bit much.

at least have us click on a link to see them. there's no need to have them plastered on the front page, or to have the image taking up 3/4 of the screen during interviews on tv.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Aah, Fox 'News'. Their current online headlines regarding this include "POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL?" and "HOW TO SPOT A PSYCHO".