MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a lot of the students in lockdown are e-mailing the BBC..they sound very terrified:(

Massacre at Virginia Tech: 25 Confirmed Dead
Fatalities Expected to Rise; Suspected Gunman Among the Dead

Apr. 16, 2007— - At least 25 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass killing on a college campus in American history -- and the death toll may rise.

Police at Virginia Tech say that the shootings happened at a dormitory and a classroom on opposite sides of the university campus in Blacksburg, Va.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said that one person was killed in the first shooting, just after 7 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a large dormitory. Flinchum said that at least 20 more people were killed in a later shooting at Norris Hall, an academic building.

Flinchum said the gunman was dead, but wouldn't say whether the shooter killed himself. The gunman, whose identity has not been released, is among the dead.

ABC News confirms that there were two separate bomb threats at Virginia Tech that targeted engineering buildings. The first was directed at Torgersen Hall, while the second was directed at multiple engineering buildings. Students and staff were evacuated, and the university had offered a $5000 reward for information into the threats.

Not all of the students involved in the shootings are dead. Two local hospitals are reporting treating 21 people.

University president Charles Steger said that police have not officially tied together the two shootings.

It is 10:30 am west coast time

1:30 pm VA time

Most likely in the next 24- 48 hours
most of the facts will be in.

I am sorry for all the tragic loss.

For the families and loved ones
this will change everything waking moment of the rest of their lives.

Some will not survive
some will be resilient
and find ways to go on.

My best and sincerest wishes go out to all.

Let somebody know that you love them

Perhaps, we should try and be a little better and more decent.

In honor of those who have lost their opportunity
to make the world a little bit better.

i don't want to point fingers and blame. but i just can't help but think that if campus was shut down IMMEDIATELY after the first shooting, that perhaps those 20 that were killed in the classroom would'nt've been in class.

i know, i know, it is a horrible thing to say. but i can't understand why classeses wouldn't be cancelled and the entire campus locked down after the first shooting at 7am. and then to have a 2nd shooting a whole 3 hours later?!

i guess i'm just still in shock. i don't mean to offend, i just don't understand the procedures involved i guess.

this just in: police report that shooter shot and killed himself. he was an asian-american male.

ill keep you all posted.

Last edited:
^Yeah, I didn't get that either. If a gunman is on the loose, classes should be canceled.

unico said:
i don't want to point fingers and blame. but i just can't help but think that if campus was shut down IMMEDIATELY after the first shooting, that perhaps those 20 that were killed in the classroom would'nt've been in class.

i know, i know, it is a horrible thing to say. but i can't understand why classeses wouldn't be cancelled and the entire campus locked down after the first shooting at 7am. and then to have a 2nd shooting a whole 3 hours later?!

Well this is part of the truth that will be revealed later. I'm not sure the logic behind a move like this, but maybe we don't know everything. I think this is an American attitude, I'm not sure, but it seems like we like for life to go on and pretend nothing happens...

Apr. 16, 2007— At least 29 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass killing on a college campus in American history — and the death toll may rise.

Police at Virginia Tech, in Blaksburg, Va., said that the shootings happened at a dormitory and a classroom on opposite sides of the university campus.

Law enforcement sources tell ABC News the shooting may have been set off by an off-campus incident. Details were unclear.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said that one person was killed in the first shooting, which occurred just after 7 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a large dormitory. Flinchum said that at least 20 more people were killed at Norris Hall, an academic building.

The gunman, whose identity has not been released, is among the dead. Flinchum wouldn't say whether the shooter had killed himself.

ABC News has confirmed that there were two separate bomb threats last week at Virginia Tech that targeted engineering buildings. The first was directed at Torgersen Hall, while the second was directed at multiple engineering buildings. Students and staff were evacuated, and the university had offered a $5,000 reward for information into the threats.

Two local hospitals have reported treating 21 people, though it is unclear how many of those may have died.

University president Charles Steger said that police have not officially tied together the two shootings.

Steger described today's events as an incident of "tragic proportions" and said, "the university is shocked and horrified that this would befall us."

The campus is closed today and classed are canceled today and tomorrow. Families seeking to reunite with their children have been directed by the university to the Inn at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech, located in western Virginia near the borders of West Virginia and Tennessee, has more than 25,000 full time students. Its campus, which spreads out over 2,600 acres, has more than 100 buildings.

S. Daniel Carter, senior vice president for Security On Campus, Inc. who has been studying campus crime for 15 years, said he watched the news at Virginia Tech unfold in "utter shock." Carter is based a couple of hours' drive away, in Knoxville, Tenn.

"Nothing like this has happened before," he said, adding that the average number of killings on all American campuses combined has hovered around 20 since the Department of Education formally began collecting data in the early 1990s.

While information had not been released about the gunman, Carter said he suspected that whoever the shooter was suffered from some deep psychological problem and was likely connected to the university campus in some way.

"In the past, in similar cases, it's usually been a psychological issue and not just a security issue," Carter said. "One of the people who was killed was an older individual, maybe a faculty member. That could be a likely underlying factor in this case  someone who has failed."

"It is difficult to comprehend senseless violence on this scale," said Virginia's Governor Timothy M. Kaine in a statement. "Our prayers are with the families and friends of these victims, and members of the extended Virginia Tech community."

perhaps these are two separate incidents, tragic and ironic as it may be, and that they thought everything was over after the first shooting, thus why they stoped the first lockdown :shrug:

grasping for straws i know

i dont know how appropriate this might sound considering the immensity of today...but its a day and an event like this that can put something like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth" into context, coming to terms with a tragedy such as this.

These are the e-mails I received:

9:29am
A shooting incident occurred at WAJ earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact VTPD if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case.

9:54am
A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows.

10:26am
VT has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

11:03am
In addition to an earlier shooting today in WAJ, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.
Police and EMS are on the scene.
Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.
All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.
All entrances to campus are closed.

And then I got the statement from Steger.
I dunno...given the succession of events, it does sound related. They notified us that a shooter was loose on campus minutes before he opened fire on the classroom.

Last edited:
unico said:
These are the e-mails I received:

9:29am
A shooting incident occurred at WAJ earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact VTPD if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case.

9:54am
A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows.

10:26am
VT has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

11:03am
In addition to an earlier shooting today in WAJ, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.
Police and EMS are on the scene.
Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.
All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.
All entrances to campus are closed.

And then I got the statement from Steger.
I dunno...given the succession of events, it does sound related. They notified us that a shooter was loose on campus minutes before he opened fire on the classroom.

Wow, it took them almost an hour in between the first report of a shooting to close down campus. Terrible.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Mia. :hug:

thanks again :hug:

latest: 32 killed
28(or 29) injured

thats 60 people. i don't understand.

i'm hearing that the first was the shooter's gf, the 2nd was my student, the RA. which, since my student was shot in the leg, and one death was confirmed before the other shooting happened, i think his gf was killed. :sad:

Last edited:
unico said:
thanks again :hug:

latest: 32 killed
28(or 29) injured

thats 60 people. i don't understand.

Oh my God. Just got back from the gym...what a useless endeavor...my head's on this story. I keep thinking about all the people I know with kids at Tech.

europop2005 said:
i dont know how appropriate this might sound considering the immensity of today...but its a day and an event like this that can put something like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth" into context, coming to terms with a tragedy such as this.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that this is appropriate. Why do we need to involve U2 in every situation?

Mia, again I'm really sorry that you are going through this. :hug:

OMG, I heard the people talking at the Gap I was while I was looking for stuff for my raffle.

I didn't know that is was your college, I'm sooooo sorry this is something your involved in. I will be praying for you and everyone else really strong.

I am at a loss for words and please know you can count on me anytime. I've got real big shoulders!

Love ya :hug: :hug: :hug: :pray: :pray: :pray:

JC

Let me know if you need to talk I will email you my number.

Mia, Unico and everyone.....I embrace you and hold all of you in my heart.

My prayers and deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this horrendous crime!

Now is not the time for pointing fingers nor to say what is burning in my insides.....there will be time for that later - right now I share your grief and I only wish there was a way I could console you.

There are no words......

I'm hoping more info comes out soon. I think it is bizarre that 60 people are killed/injured by one person. I haven't heard about another shooter...but a contact said that about 12 suspects have been rounded up for questioning. It scares me to think someone can still be out there.

CNN keeps reporting how this is a horrible time for the country and the world all I can think about is it's a horrible time for the families, and the people at that school.

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of the gunfire at the classroom building.

Students are carried to safety on the university campus

One student told Sky News of students "throwing desks and whatever they could to barricade the doors" as the shooter opened fire in the classroom building.

Police were searching for a second gunman, though initial reports said this was a matter of routine.

Sky also reported one witness describing a gunman as Asian, wearing a vest with an "ungodly" amount of ammunition, firing at will.

Reports suggested the massacre may have been sparked by a romance gone wrong with the gunman hunting down his girlfriend.

The name of the gunman was not immediately released, and investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not immediately known if the gunman was a student.

One witness told Sky News that the only way to enter a dorm from 10pm until 10am was with a student card used as a key to unlock the dorm.

The FBI has said there is no indication the incident was related to terrorism.

Aimee Kanode, a first-year student, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. The resident assistant in Kanode's dormitory knocked on her door about 8 a.m. (1200 GMT) to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

virginiaAP1604_468x235.jpg

An unidentified man is arrested. It is unclear what role he played in the shooting

" the massacre may have been sparked by a romance gone wrong with the gunman hunting down his girlfriend."

I think this is more about a "romance gone wrong" (from the shooter's perspective)

than a person being "Asian" or "Asian-American"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom