MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #391
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA - David Wright had a few anxious moments yesterday morning when he awoke to news on TV that there had been a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech University. The third baseman's 21-year-old brother Stephen is a senior engineering major at the Blacksburg, Va., school, and Wright initially was unable to reach him by cell phone.

"It's a scary thought to turn on the TV and see a shooting at a school - any school, especially one that your brother is at," Wright said.

Wright soon reached another brother, Matthew, by phone. Matthew, a freshman at James Madison University, had spoken with Wright's parents and had learned his brother was safe off campus. Wright believed Stephen had been scheduled to take a class later in the day in a building where shooting took place. Thirty-three people, including the gunman, died.

"It wasn't too long," Wright said about the period of time he didn't know his brother's whereabouts. "I woke up. I turned on the TV. That's when your heart kind of skips a beat a little bit. But then right away I talked to my little brother. He let me know he talked to my mother, and my mother said everything is okay."

Wright, who attends Virginia Tech football games after his season is over, eventually spoke with his distraught brother Stephen around 2 p.m., shortly before last night's Mets-Phillies game was rained out.

"He's obviously shaken up," Wright said. "I briefly spoke to my brother. It's tough to get ahold of him because all the cell phones, with the usage, it's tough to get through. I just tried to be brief. He's trying to call and make sure with his friends everybody he thought might be there is okay."

Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #392
Blue Crack Addict

please pass this along

Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #393
Blue Crack Addict

the original "bomb threats" were to steger....i forgot his office is in there. but it was unfounded.

now i just heard bburg town offices are on lockdown. we don't know why yet.

i can't take all this stress!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i can't take all this stress!!!

Mia, you should get off campus for a bit.

Memphis and i are in the city this weekend, just in case you make it up here and want to have beers or something.

good luck.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #395
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Mia, you should get off campus for a bit.

Memphis and i are in the city this weekend, just in case you make it up here and want to have beers or something.

good luck.
i want to...but then i don't.

i have to be here for my students. they need me. i'm an advisor, this is my job. this is when they need me the most, and...i need them too.

but some people are coming up to visit. kristina, and possibly laura this weekend. which, is comforting beyond words. my dad left this morning, so it will be nice to have someone else around.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #396
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 PM
I work for an NPO, and this morning we are having a short service to remember all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Like Irvine said, I hope you are able to get some time away from campus.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i want to...but then i don't.

i have to be here for my students. they need me. i'm an advisor, this is my job. this is when they need me the most, and...i need them too.

but some people are coming up to visit. kristina, and possibly laura this weekend. which, is comforting beyond words. my dad left this morning, so it will be nice to have someone else around.

do whatever you think is best. it's so commendable how you put your students first. they are lucky to have you.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #398
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Im happy that you will have friends visiting you this weekend Mia Know it can't take away from what happened but maybe it will help to ease your mind just for a little bit. Even though Im only in Delaware it feels like Im still miles away from you . Would be there if I could

I truly am proud of you for how you are being there for your students. Rememer to take care of yourself too please

Laura stay strong your friend continues to be in my :Pray:
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #399
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I think it's a sad commentary on society that the Korean community and government feel they have to go on a PR campaign in fear of backlash against their communities. I am sure their sadness for the victims is heartfelt but they aren't responsible. Most reasonable people probably don't feel like targeting the Korean community but there is an obvious concern for that possibility. White people didn't go out and apologize for actions of other murderers after past shootings. Mental illness and deadly violence is not exclusive to any ethnic group.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
yeah I'm hoping I can get to Tech this weekend and be there for Mia...I feel so helpless here.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #401
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
it's good that you'll have people around you Mia, it will probably help a bit And I'm sure it will help Laura too, if she's able to make it.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #402
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I think it's a sad commentary on society that the Korean community and government feel they have to go on a PR campaign in fear of backlash against their communities. I am sure their sadness for the victims is heartfelt but they aren't responsible. Most reasonable people probably don't feel like targeting the Korean community but there is an obvious concern for that possibility. White people didn't go out and apologize for actions of other murderers after past shootings. Mental illness and deadly violence is not exclusive to any ethnic group.
Absolutely, it's a very sad commentary. But I've already seen online and in person people blaming this on "damn foreigners".

It sickens me.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #403
I Serve Larry's Stick

I tried to bring up a "cultural" conversation about this with my coworkers yesterday, which they ultimately turned into "every race has crazy people" conversation instead. Whether even the smallest bit of this had to do with his ethnicity/culture, just the fact that I couldn't even have a rational conversation with my coworkers about it was disheartening.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #404
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Absolutely, it's a very sad commentary. But I've already seen online and in person people blaming this on "damn foreigners".

It sickens me.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #405
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The sad truth of this situation is that so many people are going to try to make it about things it's not really about, whether it's in regard to ethnicity, politics, or anything else. I just hope enough people realize that we all need to be talking about what we can do to make sure it never happens again and to help students feel safe.