MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CBC news has made a management decision to not show much of anything from the documents received by NBC. The radio reported some of the contents and a few phrases. While the National news program showed quick glimpses of a couple of pics and they fanned through the papers. Apparently, they said there are studies which show that showing all that info could lead to copycat crimes and CBC management has decided to fall on the side of caution.

I think people should be more aware now though as there are still many people out there who are feeling the same as the person who committed this horrendous act. These people might feel motivated to act in a similar manner. I hope not but please be careful especially students.

What I have found to be very worrying is the fact that this person was diagnosed with mental illness. He was known to be a risk, yet our society still fails to recognize mental illness on the same level as cancer or heart disease. Depression, feelings of unacceptance, and similar disorders are a growing problem in our society and we have to start treating people seriously and not just throwthem back into the community with the feeling that they will be ok.

PlaTheGreat said:

My suggestion is that you just avoid the news for a while, because nothing will stop the flow of free information. This is coming from a journalism student directly.

Just turn off the news until the fever has subsided. Rely on friends and family for support or any details you want. They will be much more sensitive to you than any network can. :up:

Absolutely......this is not going to go anywhere.........especially for you Mia............ what you are experiencing and will continue to have are pure raw emotions for a while and it's going to take a toll.....not that I don't want you on here.....but I seriously believe you need a rest from the "blue crack", i'm concerned you are going to come across some posts that might tear you apart that may not have necessarily bothered you before VT ......plus you are also contending with images and information from all forms local and national media.

I swear i'm not trying to be corny............i know what i'm like when my mind is constantly set on something, you can feel yourself crushing.............make sure you go to counselling even if you feel or think you don't need it.

fly so high! said:

Absolutely......this is not going to go anywhere.........especially for you Mia............ what you are experiencing and will continue to have are pure raw emotions for a while and it's going to take a toll.....not that I don't want you on here.....but I seriously believe you need a rest from the "blue crack", i'm concerned you are going to come across some posts that might tear you apart that may not have necessarily bothered you before VT ......plus you are also contending with images and information from all forms local and national media.

I swear i'm not trying to be corny............i know what i'm like when my mind is constantly set on something, you can feel yourself crushing.............make sure you go to counselling even if you feel or think you don't need it.

thank you fly. and thanks everyone. i appreciate all of your concern.

you're right. i should probably take a break. i feel myself getting emotional and upset from some posts in here, and even taking things personally. i've also made a point to stay away from certain threads where i suspect some elements of this tragedy are being discussed.

that being said, i want to apologize if anyone feels like i attacked him/her.

i will visit here less and less today, but i will definitely walk away this weekend when my friends start coming tomorrow night.

and don't worry, i will definitely be going to counseling. as a student affairs practicioner, i do not attach any sort of stigma to it, and i am aware of the benefits. i have even referred my students to the counseling center, telling them that they would feel so much better if they went. i think i will go after this weekend.

anyway, i want to share an email i got this morning that brought me to tears:

I wanted to let you know something that I thought I would like to hear if it was me - the night before Ryan died he and I and Jeananne were in the IG until like midnight planning the anniversary party and he was asking about the guest list...he specifially asked if Mia would be there and Jeananne said yes and then he went on a rant for a good minute about how much he loved you and how awesome you were.

he was thinking of me the night before he died. that means sooo much.

Last edited:
Keep asking questions Mia, you have every right to, and take care of yourself and stay strong. God bless. :hug:

Mia, I think you should take a break from here and just pm those of who you want to talk with. I always here for you too!

Have you been journaling? I always find that when I am mad or upset to write everything is an outlet.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

BrownEyedBoy said:
If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.

The public, and even close family members, are not given every detail on every piece of evidence in on-going criminal investigations, regardless of whether they want them or not. When the time comes, it will all be presented in trial which will then be public record.

unico said:

anyway, i want to share an email i got this morning that brought me to tears:

I wanted to let you know something that I thought I would like to hear if it was me - the night before Ryan died he and I and Jeananne were in the IG until like midnight planning the anniversary party and he was asking about the guest list...he specifially asked if Mia would be there and Jeananne said yes and then he went on a rant for a good minute about how much he loved you and how awesome you were.

That is heart wrenching............and beautiful...........treasure it, Sweety,treasure it.:sad:

unico said:

And that is all that matters. Keep that in your heart-that and what you brought to his life and what he brought to yours. No one can ever take that away. That is more powerful than anyone or anything that the media focuses on.

You take care of yourself too.

I'm sorry that people close to this have/may have seen these horrible images. Speaking for myself only, I feel that if the victims had to see this psycho as their last image, I can at least look at the pictures. I'm not sure if that makes any sense but it's how I feel about it today. I do agree people should be given a choice and when it's just blasted all over the TV nonstop there really isn't a choice except to keep the TV off which doesn't seem like a fair choice when coverage of things like the vigil and interviews with people could help in the healing process. To just have to turn it off and not participate in order to avoid the images doesn't seem right.

With so much blatant evidence of his mental illness and potential violence to himself and others, VT and other local authorities are not looking too good right now. Seems like there was enough evidence to remove him from school but maybe it's too early to make that call. People need to be held accountable and at the same time there is already so much guilt, grief, horror and shame, I'd be reluctant to cast blame when there are so many factors that play into such a complex and extreme situation.

Just so unspeakably sad and horrible all around.

Mia, take care of yourself. :hug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Some photos that really matter-of those who died. Smiling and happy. Let's focus on their names and faces and lives

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20035329_20035543_1,00.html

:up:

As for the debate as to whether or not we should be finding out about the killer, like I said last night, I don't want those images plastered all over my tv screen or homepage - it's as simple as that. There should be the option to click on a link, something, because curiosity is human nature and I understand that some are fascinated by this sort of thing. I admit, I love psychology and am going to school so I can work in the law field, so part of this does interest me on a certain level, but right now I can't deal with it because it's a) too soon and b) has been so sensationalized it's literally making me sick to my stomach.

Mia and Laura, you two have contstantly been in my thoughts since this has happened. :hug:

unico said:
hey im taking a break from painting/sucking at guitar hero, to stop by for a simple request. i probably don't have to say it, but JIC:

please, for my sake, let's not post pics of the shooter, nor the contents of the package,, nor any death scenes or anything. memorial images of the victims is cool though.

i'm not trying to be a mod, its just that i come here to post my reflections, and i dont want to see those images again. i know you all have been really cool about it, but i just wanted to drop this by JIC someone who hasn't been regularly talking in here drops by.

okay, again, please, i don't mean to come off as bossy. i just wanted to come out with it. i know you all understand.

thanks again for all your support, and for talking with me trhough this. i really really really appreciate it. :hug:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I'm sorry.....I found that really shocking that people were posting pictures of that stuff on the forum. I mean...at all.....on the forum. That's just......so wrong in so many ways.

Kiki said:
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I'm sorry.....I found that really shocking that people were posting pictures of that stuff on the forum. I mean...at all.....on the forum. That's just......so wrong in so many ways.
I don't think they were, it was a pre-emptive request so far as I know.

has anyone else seen that thread that's closed, that was put up by Europop2005?

I swear I'm really not dumb, but I'm getting really confused on some of these things being posted here. I saw that the website was pretty inappropriate too, but....was this some kind of a cult or something that posted that article??? I just can't get over the ridiculous facts that people are really that stupid to turn hate to hate. I mean...yeah I've seen all the creepy images that the news has posted on their websites and I've read what they've put up there, and my first thought is always, "That guy was totally messed up and a freak", but then I think....shit......he really was messed up.....and he's extremely creepy and demonic, but....in a way I feel sorry for him that he felt the need to let this over take him and sorry....because he lost. This is the way everyone will remember him.....even for the most screwed up person......that's kind of sad and pathetic.

(and just for anyone who thinks I'm feeling sorry for him in the sense of 'oh that poor kid' nananana get your heads out of the clouds. That's not what I was getting at. I feel sorry in the angry sense....I hope that made more sense)

networks won't show the drunken idiot who runs onto a baseball field because they don't want to encourage that sort of behavior, yet they have no problem splashing this kid posing like an action hero all over the television. unbelievable.

every time something like this happens, they do the same thing... and then a few years later when something happens again, the previous incident is always mentioned by the new wacko. it's a sad state of affairs where nightly news ratings are more important than common sense and decency.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
every time something like this happens, they do the same thing... and then a few years later when something happens again, the previous incident is always mentioned by the new wacko. it's a sad state of affairs where nightly news ratings are more important than common sense and decency.

Well said. Last night, I read a very powerful and tastefully written article about poet Nikki Giovanni's problems with the shooter when he was her student a few years ago. She eventually had to kick him out of her class for his behavior towards female classmates.

The article is no less troubling than any other has been, but I think it ends with an important point:

Giovanni encountered Cho only once after she removed him from class. She was walking down a campus path and noticed him coming toward her. They maintained eye contact until passing each other.

Giovanni, who had survived lung cancer, was determined she would not blink first.

"I was not going to look away as if I were afraid," she said. "To me he was a bully, and I had no fear of this child."

If NBC and other stations continue to air this video and show those horrific pictures, they're letting Cho win.

Full story here for anyone who's interested: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/virginia_tech_poet_professor;_ylt=AvZqMKoBP2e0HHDPLCSa0Q1H2ocA

500 posts, I'm going to start another one.

Please read the first post in it before posting to that thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom