MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Nice speech by Kaine .

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212

Which is true, and I see the importance in updating us on what are security measures are so we're night frightened ourselves, but maybe I should've noted, this email was sent out only four hours after all this had happened, it was the first time that day I'd even been out of classes, and so I'm upset that i just got a brief note of what had happened, I don't know if that makes sense or not...anyway...I've convfused myself now.
When the first plane hit the towers, most thought it was just pilot error.

I think early on everyone was confused

What if this had been a terrorist attack with 19 individuals with guns and chains on 19 American campus'?

Unless I see an obvious dereliction of duty, I hesitate to condemn anyone for something that is almost impossible to plan for or prevent.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My university is holding a candlelight vigil tomorrow night, and students and staff will be writing notes to send to students at VT. I'm going to try to attend, but I'll be skipping this part:

Quote:
Immediately afterwards, there will be a large discussion on campus security at our University, as well as a discussion on how something like this could ever happen.
I applaud the student government for putting together the service so quickly, but I feel like it's in poor taste on the administration's part to lump this sort of discussion together with a remembrance service. It's not time for the university to cover its ass; it's time to mourn. There will be plenty of time for "long discussions" later.

An email also went out this morning from the university president talking in very abstract terms about how safe our campus is and how good our campus police are. It seems like she's missing the point completely--I'm sure VT's campus felt very safe to the student body until yesterday morning. Safety comes from so much more than campus police. It's about having a strong support system in place for students. I certainly don't baby my students, but I remind myself that many of them are far away from their families, so I feel like part of my job as a teacher is to help them feel safe to learn and grow.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Nice speech by Kaine .

I my Governor. He probably hasn't had any real sleep in days...

I'm tempted to drive to Tech this weekend to be with my friends.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I my Governor.
My governer too . I'm sure the words were his own - no speechwriters like Bush for this one.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 PM
The President gave a very good speech.

He needed to be there,
and I am glad he came.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Right, I believe Bush did the right thing by going down to Tech and being there for the students, faculty and their families.

I have to attempt to get some homework done but I'm really having trouble thinking about it.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 12:31 AM
MSNBC.com has a few pages regarding the victims of this tragedy. Mia, from all that I have read, Ryan seems like he was an amazing guy . Again, my condolences.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/?GT1=9246

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18157104/
Old 04-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #339
Refugee

I saw Mia on CNN too. I was really surprised, and afterwards was shocked how I seemed to have this connection that I didn't expect.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #340
ONE
love, blood, life

As ridicuolous as this sounds, a quote from "Desperate Housewives" has been stuck in my head for a long time now, especially when the questions (which I have asked myself over and over again) about the gap in notifying students, etc. have been raised. In it, one of the characters, Lynette, is having a dream about a neighbor, Mary Alice, who had killed herself. She's carried a load of guilt around ever since the event because she saw Mary Alice visibly upset the day of the suicide, but she figured she was too busy to talk to her. In the dream Lynette ends up going to talk to Mary Alice who smiles and says...."We can't prevent what we can't predict. All we can do is enjoy this beautiful day. We get so few of them."
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I just got back from a chapel service held on our campus. Faculty members from the Christian, Jewish and Muslim traditions led prayers. The moment when I totally lost it was when the chaplain had thirty-three participants come up to the front to read some of the thoughts/prayers/questions that had been written down at last night's silent vigil. Just the magnitude of seeing thirty-three people...it somehow made what is a vague number really concrete and gut-wrenching. The service was very emotional and powerful but also cathartic in a way to come together as a community and pray, cry, reflect and hold hands with one another.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #342
Refugee

I was on Michigan's campus today, looking at the buildings, looking at the students and the profs walking near Rackham Auditorium, and thinking, "This could have been any of us." Everyone here is shaken up and we have everyone at VT in our thoughts.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Right, I believe Bush did the right thing by going down to Tech and being there for the students, faculty and their families.

I have to attempt to get some homework done but I'm really having trouble thinking about it.
I think he did too, good for him

Have you talked to your parents or a counselor at school about how you're feeling? It helps just to talk about how you're feeling, even if nothing anyone can say can truly help.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I'm kinda glad Bush came. I mean, I would've criticized him if he didn't...and I criticized him for coming. I'm a hard woman to please.

But I have to say, I think I could've done without his speech. I don't understand why he had to recall those details like that. We came there for healing, not to relive those horrific moments. He also went off on cue cards. Kaine's speech was wonderful. He is a great man. It was very heartfelt.

Nikki G is my hero.

I tried to do the hokie chants at the end, but I got choked up and the tears fell again. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. It was just too much

But I gotta say something about hokie spirit. It is an amazing thing. Even when walking to football games, Im so full of emotion, so much energy, I start crying. AT A FOOTBALL GAME! Hokie spirit is wild. It has carried us through some other tough times, like when we've lost some of our students in the war. It will continue to move us through this one.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #345
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 PM